What's the best sub $200 DAP for use with a portable amp?

Title says it. I’m looking for a dap since my phone only has about 1Gb of space left and it’s starting to yell at me about it. I intend to mostly use it with my xd-05 (I of course still want the dap to sound good by it’s self). I’ve had my eye on the fiio m6 and the hiby r3 pro, but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for any help.

LG V20 or V30 that you can find on ebay lol. I think if you are going to use it with an xd05 it would work great

I would say the v20/v30 still sounds pretty good for a phone for the price you can get it for

1 Like

Quick question, does the V20 have expandable storage like with a micro SD card? If so I might get that as they are only about $145 on Amazon renewed (I don’t use eBay for personal reasons) but it doesn’t really list any specs.

Yes it has a microsd card slot. Also I really like how it has an easily removable and replaceable battery too, pretty nice

Oh? Removable battery you say? That seems pretty great for long term usage. I guess that settles it. Thanks for the help.

Something I wish modern phones would have again lol

yeah but people want thin and light fml

Oh I almost forgot. Is it USB C or micro?

It is type c if I recall correctly

1 Like

So the v20 I saw earlier today on Amazon has disappeared, I guess they only had like 2 it 3 and the last one sold. Is the v30 any better or worse and does it still have the removable battery?

The v30 would be a bit faster but you no longer have the removable battery

Well damn. I guess for only $5 more and it being prime shipped (and you know, available) it’s still a good option. Thanks for the always timely help.

I don’t know if this applies, but something to think about…

Before my current phone I had an LG G3. Same thing with microsd slot and user replaceable battery. After 2 years it’s battery started dying really fast. I replaced the battery with a brand new one and it drained really fast. I don’t know if that’s an across the board LG problem, but I’d caution you about a used one for that reason. It still performed well for 2 years. Just something to think about.

Hmmm what version of android were you running and also any mods or tweaks you did?

Mods and tweaks, no. Version? I really don’t remember. I got a new phone in early 2018 and haven’t gone back. But I kept the OS up to date. So whatever version was out there circa Feb '18.

Gotcha, for an older phone I like to keep it to the same os and updates around it’s time and not get too modern as stuff like battery life tends to suffer