What's your headphone progression?

You remember your first?

Yes, a beaten up hd580 precision

3 Likes

That’s a hell of a nice way to get into hi-fi.

That was when I was super young, and my dad had just gotten the hd600 so he gave me his hd580

2 Likes
  • DT 880 premium 32Ω
  • Elex (favorite)
  • TR-X00 Mahogany (sold)
  • Ether CX (sold)
  • HD 58X Jubilee (sold)
  • Nighthawk Carbon
  • Sendy Aiva Black Beauty
  • Meze 99 Neo
  • Elegia
  • DT 177X GO
  • LCD-2C

Started with the 880s in Jan, 2017, most recent was the Audezes in Feb, 2020.

5 Likes

I love the Elegia’s and LCD-2C. I own both and think they both complement each other extremely well. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

About 10 years ago, I got a pair of Beats Executives on clearance at Costco. I got pissed off that they didn’t work without a battery, so I got some Sennheiser HD 558s. Then I tripped and fell down the rabbit hole (not as far down it as some of you all though!).

Beats Executive
Sennheiser HD558
AKG K7XX
Sennheiser HD6XX
Fostex TRX00
Tin T2 +balanced cable
BLON BL03 +balanced cable
Beyerdynamic DT177X GO
Koss KPH30i
Koss PortaPro
Koss KSC75
Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon

Next stop: probably some planars

4 Likes

Headphones only (not including IEMs) and in rough date order…

Past:
Sennheiser HD590
Beyerdynamic DT770-250
AKG K701
Grado SR325
audio technica ATH-A900LTD
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD25-1

Current;
Sennheiser HD800s
ZMF Eikon
Verum 1
Sennheiser HD25-II (DJing cans)
Shure SRH440 (backup DJing cans)
Sony WH-100XM3

3 Likes

HD599
Bose QC25
BoseQC35
Sony WH-1000XM3
HE4XX
HE400
Edition XX

1 Like

What did you end up getting?

what fun headphones did you get? I am halfway your list and I am looking for that next tier headphone with the fun,v or w shaped signature.

Something new came along lol. But its a controversial choice. This new headphone is the HarmonicDyne Helios. Its a very detailed headphone and extremely fun and exciting headphone. Its speed and separation are fantastic. Ii has this really great open sound to it but at the same time a close soundstage. Sound really alive and lively. I love it. and as a bonus its only 180$! Just cant believe it. The drivers are designed by the Germans. and the housing is made by the Chinese. The Linsoul and ThieAudio companies took these 2 things and put them together and cut a really nice looking steel cap for the headphones. it looks very nice.

But theres a problem. It was sent out to a number of audio reviewers. and its gotten mainly lukewarm reviews. A lot of people dont seem to be as thrilled with it as i am. I dont get it. It has the detail of a high end headphone. Maybe its cause its not neutral. Maybe theres problems with the frequency response? I do know that some new headphones sound veiled and have to be broken in. and they sent out some headphones with the wrong pads. but they seem to have fixed the pad situation. If i try to recommend it to anyone people get mad lol. A lot of people dont even believe me. There was initially a lot of skepticism about this headphone when it was announced. Cause Zeos compared it to the Sundara. And maybe cause its chi-fi companies. but i didnt believe it and i defended the headphone. So anyway if you wanna give it a try heres the link:

At the moment, I own an Audeze LCD-X (which is for sale), Focal Clear, Focal Elegia, ZMF Atticus and Sennheiser HD650.

The most fun sound signature of the headphones I currently own are the ZMF Atticus. It is a slight U shape signature, so similar to a V shape but less drastic recessed mids compared to a V shape.

1 Like

Seriously don’t sweat what folks think or hear differently than you. Sound and music is so damned subjective. For example, The GF and I have totally opposite tastes in much of our music, some of the crap she puts on sounds so terrible I don’t have enough negative words in my vocabulary to describe it. It’s horrible screeching garbage and sounds just as bad on any system I try and play it through yet she and the rest of the target audience of such garbage twerk and dance to it across the Internet. IMO half the time I think bad sound is half part due to bad music. They seem to go hand in hand IMO.
Enjoy your headphones, if they are still selling I’m sure there’s others also enjoying them. Just look at how much folks like Beats stuff🙄

5 Likes

I think people get mad at the frequency at which it is being reccomended and for almost any headphone recc post and at the seeming disregard for taste or application. As Nick said we all have different ears and what you may like or think is great can be quite the opposite of others and that’s why the reviews turned out like so. My favorite sub $200 can is the dt 990 I don’t try to mention most of the time because I know it’s such a polarizing headphone and isn’t great for every application or ear. I take into account all those facts and reccomend them when I feel is appropriate. I’m glad you like the headphone and seeing reviews from those who both like it and don’t means there is something to the headphone both good and bad to the reviewers who again have different ears than you so they stated their opinion. there is no perfect headphone lol but there is definitely something out there for everybody look at mkbhd and his m50x lol. And of course when you feel it’s appropriate it’s to someone’s taste go for it just lately if feels like a sales pitch or advertisement rather than a reccomendation and people don’t like being advertised to. Not sure why could be phrasing.

4 Likes

I always look at what the person is looking for and only recommend the Helios if i think it will fit them

Even Mon doesnt just advise based on what the poster is referring too. often they not sure what they want and are asking for options. even if there comparing the 2. Often theres a better headphone than the ones their looking at for what they are looking for. we provide them with options. at most they got something else to research and think about. This is getting ridiculous. Gotta love OCDers on the Internet. Ok, lets take em one at a time:

OP says he wants a variety of different types of headphones. Also He thinking of a Argon. Which is a V-shaped headphone. Helios is also V-shaped and much better than a argon imo

OP was looking at the Takstar HF 580. That headphone is a clone of the Aiva. Which has a V or U shape bright. just like the Helios. OP wanted to keep the price under 200$. Perfect candidate for a Helios at 180$ also available in his country. Mon recommended the Beyer DT880.

OP has a 58x but wants a headphone with more sparkle on the high end. The Helios is a bright headphone but maintains good bass. like the OP wanted. If you look at the thread many headphones were recommended besides want the member mentioned.

Both headphones OP mentions are V shaped. Also he wants more highs in his headphone. I’ve never heard highs better implemented on a headphone than the Helios. Riceguru mention the AKG 371, also the B&H H6.

The 6xx are a V shaped headphone. The Helios is also V-shaped. also the OP is says hes listening to EDM. EDM sounds great in the Helios.

Jetman wants a upgrade to his headphones. he’s listening to 58x and 4xx as well as the Nighthawks. I told Jetman here that he should wait for the Helios. why? because i believe its an upgrade to all the headphones he mentioned. maybe he’ll be satiated and wont need to spend more?

This is the only one im a little concerned with. But with the Helios high treble and great imaging and separation i felt it may make a good gaming headphone

This doesnt even need explanation. I know Falenkor from his previous posts. hes exploring different headphones right now to find what he likes. if you read the threads not only are planars discussed but also dynamics. In my reply you even see me suggest different planars he could look into.

Again no need to explain. The Helios is a headphone thats worth far more than 180$. its NOT entry hifi. its is mid or better.

Ask yourself how many times a day the Sundara recommended to people whether they ask for it or not? how many times are the Beyer DT800’s recommended? I believe the Helios is like those headphones. I believe its a ground breaking headphone thats is worth far more than its price. with the detail of a Elex. and a fantastic sound. How can you find fault with me and my recommendations when you havent even heard it?

I’m going to keep recommending this headphone because i think its a truly great headphone. and i believe time will tell that out. Look at my profile. i know what im talking about.

Will chime in here since I got brought in lol. Yeah, I wander here very often as a new guy to the audiophile world and learned a ton. at the same time I ask a absolute ton of questions some just dumb others interesting. Wouldn’t have tried sendy aiva if it wasnt for the recommendation. Nice recommendation but I didn’t like the lack of bass… I really wanna try the recommendation of the fostex its just outta budget XD. Besides when it comes to me he knows I really like a V signature… so recommending the helios does make sense

1 Like

I should try them out… Besides that, you own the clear and the arya right? Can you please describe what each sounds like?

We reccomend beyers generally to gamers because their technical prowess.and sundara to those looking for neutral bright. Not just because we think it’s good but cause a that’s the type of headphone we think a person is looking for.

1 Like