Where to upgrade now? (From Thx)

Blockquote

I have narrowed my options to:
-HeadAmp Gs-x Mini (used but mint condition for a fair price)
-Questyle Cma 12 (demo unit, nice price but for the Gs-x mini price I can buy the master and it has a dac in it)
Which option is wiser or better/more worthy and future proof? (I don’t plan upgrading soon only my hps)
Currently have an Aune S6 Pro dac as a reminder

Or buy a Cma 400i for very cheap price (is it an upgrade over thx and good match for a Clear?) and explore later?

1 Like

The CMA400I is an upgrade over THX, IMO. I miss my old CMA400I, very nice sounding amp.

2 Likes

Personally I’m not familiar with the Questyle or the 400i in reviews or with personally experience. I can say the in a nutshell, I would place the GS-X mini between an Asgard 3 and RNHP in terms of sound signature with balanced outputs, lots of power, and a nice RCA and balanced preamp out. The balanced out can drive Diana Phi’s in low gain so it has some power and I’ve seen it used with the Susvara but M0N will likely recommend other amps if you need more power.

Side note, if you REALLY like the Asgard 3 or like what you’re hearing the Ragnarok is the same amp design that can put out 24 watts balanced out which is impressive.

Thanks for the info I’m not looking for crazy power, only for sound (and some decent looking amp on the desk is welcomed) I have Focal Clear, LCD2-classic, Sennheiser 660s at the moment and they are not that power hungry.

1 Like

Blockquote

What did you buy after Cma 400i?

After the CMA400I, I had to make some downgrades in order to save a little money. They weren’t very good, so not worth mentioning really.

I can say that the Lake People G111 amp that I currently own is my favorite under $500, with the Rupert Neve RNHP a close 2nd. But both amps are single ended only, so if you need balanced, the Questyle CMA400I makes a lot of sense.

4 Likes

I second this, I also have the g111 and it is an absolutely pleasure of an amp.

2 Likes

The Geshelli Labs Erish (Balanced all the way through) is available now: HERE. I’ve had mine for 2 months now (beta stage use in the pro audio mixing/mastering arena). BUY IT. It’s a definite upgrade. Cleanest thing I’ve ever heard. What I can’t understand is HOW it’s pushing so much, with what looks to be so little. I am using a pair of modded 1990’s from Custom Cans UK. They are LOUD and CLEAR. G-level clarity. One and done for me.

I’m curious if you can recall based on memory of you think that the Lake People G111 is a better sound amp over the sound signature of the Cma 400i?

1 Like

What have you compared this with? I’m curious about it and have only heard good things. Have you heard/compared this with the Rupert Neve or any Lake People amps?

In case you haven’t been welcomed elsewhere…welcome to HFGF! Honestly, I’m not sure too many have heard all of what you’re asking about to be able to speak to comparisons. Are you focused mostly on the G111 for Lake People, or were there other models you were considering? There’s a detailed write-up comparing the G111 to the RNHP here

I haven’t heard the Erish or G111, but I think the Erish would struggle to compete with either the G111 or RNHP unless you’re specifically looking for balanced.

I think what you get with RNHP is clean sound, pretty neutral without being dry, and with great spacial recreation in its price range. The G111 gives a bit more power and maybe a slightly more aggressive attack in presentation. The CMA400i is more laid back and smooth, slightly warmer. The Erish is a bit more clinical leaning in signature, IIRC, and high price to performance value.

Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the response. I came across that comparison which made be wonder if others had compared them as well. Or to your point any Lake People amps. I know I’ve seen a bunch of 109s discussed. The CMA400i seems like a good option with the addition of a DAC but I’ve read there can be some QC issues. I’m personally leaning towards either the RNHP or a Lake People amp but will need to do some more research on the different models and performances between them.

1 Like