Where you get your high res music?

FWIW, many of the holes I noticed in the Qobuz library when I first started using them last summer have since been filled. They appear to be doing serious work on completing their library as much as possible.

1 Like

Amazon HD now seems to be working ok again :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

If you are interested in music from other countries, you don’t have many options.
I love japenese and korean music, but I’m mostly only able to get them from youtube (low quality/compressed) or CD’s.
I used to find a good selection on Itunes, but they’ve gone even more down the shitter recently…

Does no one here use private trackers? Up your game guys!

1 Like

Clearly none of those affiliated with hifiguides would do so lol

I love Bandcamp, I usually go on there every week or so to discover new things, not everything is available, but it’s quite a lot, there’s also the name your price option that comes in handy for a broke student like me, but I always try to pay something, at least a dollar if I can and if I like the artist.

I just bought my first Bandcamp album. I am an iTunes guy, so I like the idea of buying ALAC files. I really like the idea of previewing the entire album before I buy. that is what drew me to iTunes at the time. They were the only outfit providing 90 second previews VS the standard 30 seconds.

It is much more time intensive though. I have never heard of most of the bands, although I suppose you could say that about all the new music on iTunes too. There are SO many kinds of jazz and rock, it will take a long times (ever?) to go through all the stuff. I hope that once I start buying/liking bands, it willl steer me to more Shane friendly stuff based on my history.

I played this album a few times and am still deciding. German outfit with haunting vocals.:

I enjoyed a bit of this, but they want 20 Euros which is about $30.00 in Canuck bucks. I’ll pass
Attica Blues Big Band Live At The Palais Des Glaces

I did end up buying the second album from BadBadNotGood after a few listens:

I have no problem paying $10.00 (my money) for an album, if it is solid. I do want to pay musicians for their work.

1 Like

Well, they are your best bet if you want to have digital files of lesser known albums. Ripping vinyl is a much more difficult task to do and doesn’t really make sense since if it’s an old or even an expecially old record you will hear all the pops and crackles in a digital file. Cd really is the only way, expecially if you are searching for a particular reissue/remaster of an album.

2 Likes

CD is physical. Breaking into your house and stealing/destroying them is the only way to loose them.

A subscription service may be gone tomorrow.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree with this. Just the tought that one day my entire collection won’t be available anymore because a certain streaming services will cease to exist just scares me. Building your own library (be it digital or physical) is the way to go imo.

1 Like

How goes it, so far?

They’ve covered a lot of holes I noticed last time I tried it. Enough I no longer feel I’m missing out.
They also have 44/16 versions of some stuff that Amazon only has as compressed.
I’m pretty happy with it, using primarily through Volumio on a Pi2AES.

1 Like

I’ve been using Quboz through volumio via a Raspberry Pi for my secondary station. Except for how Volumio sorts albums I’ve really been enjoying the setup.

1 Like

The volumio interface is strange, it’s pretty but inconsistent. The fact it doesn’t sort the volumio favorites means I pretty much search for anything I want to play.
But it does work extremely well for what it is.

1 Like

It sorts by “recently added” in my setup. And it can’t be changed. Not very useful. I would love (and happily pay for) a more capable interface. That said it’s still workable, if a bit cumbersome.

1 Like

Just a heads up for those interested in Classical. I just posted a review of Primephonic in the “All things classical” thread.