Which IEM for under $600? (Specifics below)

Well. my friend had the Orb and sold it after 2 days. It has almost no upper-treble, a very big roll-off.

source:Penon Audio Thread. Post your impressions here. | Page 140 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

But he loves the Volt.
You can check his gear here: tgx78 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Not one for graphs but that looks wack :grimacing:

yeah, that upper-treble is a big dealbreaker for me. Dont get how it seems to have fans at all…

Bass is probably bloated as well…

And looks to bleed massively into the mids :man_shrugging:

Bleed? more like death by blood loss. :joy:

4 Likes

Mh that is a no go :frowning:

Gonna look into the volt now xD

1 Like

Dunu Zen is my go-to recommendation if you can find one under that price used or open box.

Damn I would have to pay about 125€ import fees and taxes if I order the Penon Volt from china.

Gonna wait for my ISN H40 to arrive and be happy I guess?

Sadly I don’t know anyone in Hongkong who could get the Volt for me lol

The set on headphones.com for $549 is probably my open box set… there’s barely any use on them if you wanted to get a pretty much brand new set for discount.

Edit: oops meant to edit that last post. I was saying I didn’t think the Zen’s were that great for the cost. My FH3 is a better listening experience to me.

The Zen has more sound stage for sure, but… it feels like… there is lots of “air” between myself and the music when listening with the Zen. With the FH3 you are immersed. Same SpinFit plugs.

I’m late but I have the orb and can comment on them. Great bass for a bass focused set, normally I find bassy iems too fatiguing but these aren’t at all. It’s very nice textured bass. It does bleed into the mids and make them a bit warm but it doesn’t make things sound as bloated or muddy as badly as the graphs indicate so I bet these would have sounded great if they were tuned better. Mids on these are great, easily some of the best I heard. Now here’s the deal breaker, the soundstage is almost non-existing, it’s very intimate I’d that’s what you like, and the upper treble is terribly done, it’s super tame which I’d like if it didn’t has some huge ass peak somewhere, and if it didn’t roll off so hard. at least that’s what I suspected and the graph you posted pretty much confirms it. The mele has this same issue but the mele is 6 times cheaper. These are the smoothest sounding iems I’ve ever heard, they sound so sweet and musical but the short comings it has make it terrible as an all rounder. It’s better for vocal focused tracks, like keshi, etc. I didn’t even realize these had a ba driver for a year now lol so it doesn’t suffer from ba timbre at least. If they fixed that peak, added some extension, toned down the bass, these would be perfect. In pop tracks these sound too sharp and the bass overwhelms everything, not sure how so many ppl ended up culting over these lmao. They’re amazing for tracks with very little going on other than vocals but that’s it. This is a good set if you like rotating iems for different genres but still a bit over priced, especially when you can just filter mod a dq6 and have a better all rounder iem in that.