Which IEM for under $600? (Specifics below)

Hello!

As the title suggests, I am looking for a high-end IEM, since right now I only own the TIN T2’s and I would like to upgrade as I have realized I use IEM’s far more than what I thought I would. It doesn’t have to be the most expensive, just my budget only allows for that much.

To be more specific, on what I want:
I am looking for Neutral sound, a good Soundstage and good Imaging. (No narrow soundstages like the TIN P1’s). V shapes are out of the question, I want to hear the vocals and the mid-range in general clearly. Slightly creamier bass or a little more treble is acceptable but nothing that pushes it too much into your ears.
Also, cable must be detachable.

Thanks a lot!

PS: Been watching Z Reviews a lot lately, and things like Ikko OH10’s / FH7 and the likes seem interesting, any opinion is welcome.

Some good picks might be the fiio fh7, balanced w shape, a bit smoother, and pretty clear, pretty great all rounder, soundstage and imagining are on point for the price, medium width imo

Something else might be the JVC HA-FDX1 which is smooth, accurate, great mid-range and bass, and with the relaxed filter pretty inoffensive in the treble imo, very engaging. Soundstage is fairly wide and imaging is pretty good

Something pretty Harman neutral might be the moondrop s8 or blessing, which are accurate, well tuned and still enjoyable, pretty nice, but might be a tad intimate, but I think the depth makes up for it

Then the oh10 is unfortunately out lol

2 Likes

FH7’s or maybe the Fearless S8Z would be my recs :+1:

1 Like

I would be a bit concerned about harshness on the fearless, but I think it would be a solid option

1 Like

FH7s will check all of the blocks on your list

2 Likes

Just ordered S8Z. There are lots of positive reviews of the the FH7 so it definitely feels like a safer choice to go with something that already has a good reputation. S8Z’s are a newer IEM so reviews are kinda tough to find. Only reason I’m getting S8Z’s is because a little birdie told me S8Z’s are circulating among some fairly (obviously understating) reputable reviewers and initial impressions are very positive to say the least. I imagine won’t be long before more reviewes start popping up. I won’t have S8Z’ s for a week or so but I will share my impressions when I get them.

2 Likes

Dave, you’ll have to let us know. And I hope some “reputable” reviewers hop on, but with most of the fearless IEM’s, it seems like we get maybe a couple random written reviews and then just BGGAR. I think many of us were stuck between FH7s and S8 variants like yourself, but none of us had the warm and fuzzy for the S8F and/or S8Z. I feel like that trend will continue and the reviews will be fairly scarce :cry:

1 Like

Just to add, Empire Ears entire line-up is 20% off on Bloom Audio and Headphones.com. The EVR might be a consideration. I have the Valkyrie’s in my cart and I’ve been staring at the “Pay Now” button.

2 Likes

Just an update regarding my S8Z purchase. 2 weeks in and I couldn’t be happier! Just to summarize, excellent tuning, detail beast, great imaging. Some were saying soundstage is narrow but it sounds st least average to me. Not super wide but good. Treble sparkles. Not harsh, just right. Symbols sound like symbols. Mids are full, nothing missing. Both Male and female vocals sound great. Bass is good only wish it had a little more sub bass. Very comfortable fit, cable is awesome. This Hyper S design looks stunning. It’s hard to find anything I don’t like about them. I’m going to be getting some FH7’s next (couple of months) and can’t wait to do a side by side.

4 Likes

Hey did you get the FH7 and could sum up your experiences?

No, ended up getting Moondrop S8. Still interested in hearing Fh7 at some point though. I liked the Fh5

Ok mhhh. Currently I am looking at the Penon Orb.
I think I’m gonna buy it.

If you get it, would be interested to know what you think. Been tempted to get the orb for quite some time now

I am still trying to figure out which dac to use with them before ordering them.

I am looking for a 2.5mm balanced dongle dac with mqa support that supports the soundstage of the Orb, has great detail, nice warm bass, punch and airy smooth, yet detailed and high resolving treble with a high resolving and very musical midrange with a warm touch in the lower midrange.

FIY: penon might release the successor to the orb soon (at least it seems to be the successor)

1 dd + 2 ba

1 Like

Oh ok good to know

I just read the review of the Penon Volt and that seems to match my preferences 100%.

Now I’m really torn between them.

I mean. If you can afford the volt. That is probably the better iem lol.

Was just about to mention that, since this conversation reminded me of the orb’s I went to go check penon’s thread on headfi and came across this new model coming out! Damn! Excited to see reviews. If it’s anything like the orb and better then it may be a purchase. Though hopefully it’s not much bigger than the orb because the supposed comfort of the orb was a big factor still attracting me to it.

Yea I just wonder how much better that one is, if it is worth to spend that much more over the Orb…