😢WHY I M NOT audiophile anymore 😢

I have never felt the urge to spend huge bucks. I only have two IEMs over $200.

Today I would recommend Olina SE and the QKZXHBB, and might stop at that point, or pause for a bit there.

3 Likes

You win on prettiest workplace, granted you are doing the work to make it look that good.

You make me want to give up writing software, and enjoy the green a bit more.

3 Likes

Yknow? I’ve always considered this side of the “hobby” as a means to an end, not as an end unto itself. Maybe I’m weird that way.

I guess what I’m trying to say is; music, movies, games, I just wanted to /hear/ my media better - a LOT better. I upgraded my monitor and vid card, I upgraded my tv, I wanted my ears to be as enriched as my eyes, but, as with anything, there are trade offs, sacrifices, choices, and a learning curve. Sometimes that learning curve can get expensive and frustrating.

Take some time off from “the hobby”. Enjoy where you landed, and spend some time just being happy and satisfied with the sound you’re getting whenever you’re listening to music, or watching a movie, etc. big cinematic scores are so much more filling when you’re really able to hear them. Intimate jazz performances take on real texture and personality.

If you need a reminder of how far you’ve come, just try playing a big cinema movie of your choice through the speakers built into your tv, or listen to some great music through a pair of “multimedia speakers” plugged directly into your pc’s front 3.5mm jack. Either way, you’ll get a solid reminder of why you went down this road to begin with. Then, put your system back into play, and listen with a big ol’ grin knowing that you won - you definitely won, since you have this grand sound on tap while the rest of the world simply listens to whatever they were given and doesn’t think twice about whether it could sound better.

7 Likes

We have this saying “it aint a hobby at all if it does not take all of your money and time”
So lol this audiophile thing is a great hobby in that sense. Cars also, perfect.
Still if the bank balance aint gonna tip and bills get paid. Try boats or ships. lol

Good way to avoid all of this is not to watch any of them. :nerd_face:
Might be harder for the YT-gen people and people new in audio. Specially in headphone realm.

Reason also why cause they cheap in one way, easy to “push” for more.
One - two headphones every now and then aint going to crash the bank. Maybe same with amps and dacs and so on, In to the 9 circles of audiophile world.

When you actually find the sound or music characters you enjoy. Stick with that.
Then maybe, if something actually is two or more steps up in with the same characters you enjoy. You could improve that and not change just for change the to the “next thing”.
“Hoarding” cheap gear is also bad.
It kinda stops and can be limited to few items when you find the enjoy of music with those.

3 Likes

Not going to lie, I am in that current stalemate right now when it comes to this hobby as well, and it is okay as well for it’s really not necessary to get the most recent IEMs, Headphones, DACs, AMPs, Tube Amps, etc. for at the end of the day, as they said, it’s all about enjoying the music and I have been enjoying it with my simple set of Airships, BTR3K and ifi Zen DAC.

I have other hobbies as well besides this one where most of us do anyway. That would be working out for I want to improve my physical and mental health, not only that for I also wanted to be fatigue resistant as much as I can as possible for calisthenics have been there keeping me in check and consistent on what I do, also I have no excuses to not workout for I know I don’t have a gym membership and you don’t need a damn gym to workout. Also I play pickup basketball as an another hobby and a good hobby as well when I have like a couple shoes that are yet to be used, therefore a good reason to play ball so those shoes I have won’t be wasted.

2 Likes

To me buying new stuff all the time has nothing to do with being an audiophile
If you need to buy new stuff all the time you just have an addictive personality which i guess many of us have including myself.
I would call myself a HI-FI enthusiastic music lover with an addictive personality but would not call myself an audiophile because I simply don´t like how this word is used so often to bloat one´s ego.
If you are not addicted any longer that´s fine!
I slipped into the hobby during winter time when there was not enough light for photography.
I always loved music and good sound and watching and reading reviews about audio stuff is just a nice “waste of time” which often leads to spending more money on the hobby which is somehow a problem.
It´s a vicious circle!

2 Likes

I buy stuff to make movies and music entertaining and live vicariously through the youtubers reviews.

2 Likes

Have bought enough. Now I make my own cans. Might make 1 or 2. Then that should be it.
Will be getting more into doing other stuff with my 3D printers.
I realized DIYing is more a thing of mine than being an ‘audiophile’ which I’m not - ‘budgetophile’ at best…

So lesson here: #diversify.

2 Likes

This stuff isn’t just for consuming media. If you’re like me, having the right equipment to critically listen to what you’re producing, and reference tracks you’re using as a model, is very important.

Even then, I can’t justify headphones over a few hundred bucks or even a standalone DAC. For all they do, audio interfaces are the best values in sound.

People just like collecting shit, which is cool, but that shouldn’t make you feel like you’re not “doing it right”.

Like others have said, enjoy the music. Take the time to make memories with what you have, and if later on something looks promising, add it to the chain if you’re so inclined.

1 Like

Do you not like music anymore? This my favourite/only hobby. I am VERY happy in mid-fi and am currently trying to sell several items and will probably buy one or two more. I am now in a happy place and there is not a single amp/DAC/headphone that I don’t enjoy, in my home. I am just going to thin the herd over the coming months. I am also curious about whether the OG Clear is better than the Elex and what the new Grado X series sound like? But no rush, I will get there eventually.
As @MON used to ask me when I asked him for buying advice, “What is your current item (DAC/Amp/Headphone) not doing for you?” Now my answer would be everything is just fine.

Bottom line is…Do you still love the music? Everything else is just about the toys. The golden rule for any hobby is don’t buy more than you can afford. If it’s not pleasurable, then it’s not a hobby.

3 Likes

@Ohmboy @pk500 and @ShaneD made really good points and gave really sound advice…I agree with what they all said…

I have another twist on this…I also think it depends on your age and what part of life you are in…Just follow me on this and see if it makes sense…I was born in the mid 70’s…As far as I can recall back as a child my parents always had music playing…They had a nice set up…If my dad was playing records it was mostly Motown,other r&b, and he loved Jim Croce…If my mom was playing something it was the Beetles,Fleetwood Mac,Queen or her favorite Elton John…I would go to my grandparents same thing except classical…I was always around music growing up…

I continued to listen to music through my teens and into college but after college is where it all changed…My fiance and I got married,we bought our first house,we had our daughter…We were working full time also…The hobby took a back seat to life in general…I still loved music but I’ll be honest I couldn’t afford a lot of new gear…We made due with what we had…Fast forward twenty years it is a different ball game now…The daughter graduated from college,she and her fiance have their own place and she is working…I have the time now to sit down and enjoy music again, but have the expendable income if I want to but something new or used…I still love my used deals…lol…

Sorry that was so damn long winded…Just remember the new or high end flashy gear is nice and all, but it is about the love of the music.

9 Likes

something on the other end, my parents never really listened to music other than trips in the car so I never really heard much music, come high school for me youtube started getting popular… I got hooked on music lol

3 Likes

That is the difference in generations also…Growing up we didn’t have the internet until the mid to late 90’s,we didn’t have social media or camera phones…That is why it was an awesome time to be alive…Zero evidence of anything :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

I’m thankfully reaching this stage of my life, too. Married 31 years to the love of my life, oldest out of college and has a successful career, middle kid a senior in college and youngest kid a senior in high school.

Still need to be frugal to pay tuition for youngest, but we have enough disposable income that I can buy some nice cans and gear USED on the audiophile resale market.

Plus my wife and I, both of whom still are tighter than tree bark, now understand it’s OK to spend some well-targeted extra cash on experiences that make us happy. For me, that’s listening to great music with a glass of scotch and maybe a natural intoxicant :slight_smile: on nice headphones at night and just chilling.

8 Likes
  1. Do what´s right for YOU
  2. Don’t care about what other think as long as #1 makes sense
  3. Don’t spend money you can’t afford on any hobby
  4. Don’t rush it, or you will for sure violate #3
  5. It is okay to find inspiration online, but remember #1-4
  6. Remember to have fun also
7 Likes