Will This Do? Unknown DAC

the m100 will work great
a step up in the smsl line could be the 10th

Awesome ill look into it, and ive just found that it has actually just broke one of my sources on my amp so rip, 1 down now.

??? What happened

I dunno but that dac seems to have blown my phono marked source. I try anything else in it and its all distorted basically showing tons of distorted power without even having volume knob turned up a tad. Other sources work fine :frowning:

Well that’s why it sounded like shite. You plugged it into a phono input, it’s not made to accept a line level signal, it’s made to amplify a low level turntable signal. That will distort like hell

You have to use a line level input like cd, tape, aux, etc. on your amp if you want it to work correctly

2 Likes

I mean i dunno they are all marked same, plug my bluetooth adapter into it before and it was fine. I can try it again in a CD, Tuner, Aux, Tape 1 or Tape 2 but i dunno if it breaks them too

Yes do that and see if it works, preferably CD or aux

1 Like

ill try cd but i hope it doesnt fuck this one up too haha.

It’s shouldn’t… The dac would have to be outputting some crazy voltage to fuck things up

Hmm ok that works, just weird that its never done it before for me. Oh well dont use phono anyway lol. It works haha but if im honest cant tell a difference between that dac and the bluetooth but I am using spotify for the sound so that could be why. But hey it works and even if phonos dead now thats the first thing to go on a 20 year old amp and it may not be broke. :smiley: cheers haha. I thought they were all the same and the labels were just for like wat u could use it for.

1 Like

Well that’s good lol. If something says phono, it’s most likely a phono preamp, so it expects a low level signal to amplify, so when your run an already amplified signal into it it will boost it way to high and distort. You should really only use it if you have a turntable that needs a phono preamp

2 Likes

aight ok thanks alot did not know. :smiley:

1 Like

TheMoreYouKnow

3 Likes

Well after some use im deciding not to use it and continue with my BT adapter thing. This is due the the DAC being literally half as loud as the bluetooth I have to shove my amp to max to get half of what id get using my phone or the bluetooth adapter which is a bit stupid. Also It means I can turn it down with a remore if I use the adapter as I cannot do this with the DAC. But thanks everyone for the help.

Yeah those sound like deal breakers lol