Windows 10 PC loses sound after sleep mode

Just as the topic’s title says, my audio does not work after I put my computer to sleep.

And before you ask, I don’t have any drivers to update so to speak. All I have are my DAC, my SPDIF, and my Monitor’s audio. This is coming from a hand-built PC.

I haven’t bothered to fix this issue because I just shut down my PC. As the school semester approaches however, I would like to make my computer go into Sleep or Hibernate going forward.

i had this problem and what ended up solving it for me was uninstalling all audio drivers and reinstalling them. if i remember correctly i did realtek first then nahimic 3 and it hasn’t happened since but i also had to manually find the drivers that were completely up to date myself as the install that windows picked automatically was out of date according to the websites info for the drivers.

2 Likes

omg, right after i made my post, my neurons activated and my brain wrinkled just a tiny bit. I just realized for almost 3 years, i never installed audio drivers for my mobo. Thank you for your comment though, cuz i think I am on the right track LMAO

All I did was flashed my BIOS and that’s it.

Also if you don’t use HDMI audio out then I would remove Nvidia’s High Def audio drivers. I have had it mess with so many other audio drivers it is not even funny. It messed with my Occulus Quest’s audio and 2 different DACs (one Topping one Schiit). It is a reasonably good audio driver if that is what you are using, but if you are running other outputs it does weird things.

1 Like

afaik, VG248 (nvidia high definition audio) is for my monitor’s audio. should i perhaps remove that if i ever feel like using speakers?

If you are using the audio out of your monitor then yes that is the audio driver for it. I would only remove it if you are not going to use HDMI audio or if it ends up causing you issues like it did for me. I thought you might not be using it and using a pre-out on your amp to speakers.

ah, i see, i’ll just remove it if it causes me trouble. however, i’m using display port to connect my monitor to my pc.

however, i found other Nvidia High Def drivers after looking deeper. should i remove these, or just leave it?

If it causes issues you can uninstall it like normal, add/remove will cleanly get rid of it unlike display drivers which you really should use display driver uninstalled to cleanly remove. The only thing is you will have to select custom installation on your Nvidia drivers after when you update them and unselect the audio driver or it will reinstall itself.

1 Like

Hello everybody, I have a positive update. As it turns out, the Spotify player was the root of all this trouble. If I put my computer to sleep with the Spotify player active, then I need to use the DAC → Realtek → DAC shuffle to make my audio work on my next computer session.

If I quit/exit the Spotify player completely before I put my computer to sleep, then I do not need to use the DAC → Realtek → DAC shuffle to make my audio work.

Another interesting thing about that shuffle: I need to play music on Spotify, because the shuffle does not fix my audio if I watch a Youtube video, or listen to music on Soundcloud’s website.

I made another thread about this issue, and literally copy/pasted my findings from there to here. But I am covering both bases, because I feel like this is some vital information to share. Apologies for spamming the same topic btw.