Wiring question - splitting preamp to sub

Good afternoon everyone

I’ll try to make this as brief as possible. Here’s my setup. Computer -> modi -> magni ->micca origain -> speakers and sub (only rca input)

I really regret getting a sub with only rca inputs because wiring it without a dedicated sub out port is such a chore. Thing is i don’t want my origain anymore and want to upgrade to a different amp, but most amps don’t have sub outputs. After doing much research i’ve concluded that the only real way for me to wire my sub with an amp that doesn’t have a sub output is to run a splitter from my preamp and wire that directly to the sub.

Would anyone advise for or against this? What are your thoughts?

The biggest downside i see is having to adjust the volume from my pre amp or adjust it individually at my origain and sub. I’d be open to changing out other gear, but i’ve been pretty happy with the magni and modi so i’d like to avoid it if possible.

I see that the origain has a pre out already in the forum of a 3.5mm, which would work for the sub just fine? Do you have the origain just maxed at all times and use the magni for your volume control?

Thats how i currently have it hooked up, but I want to ditch my origain for an amp that doesn’t have a sub out. So i figured id throw my plan out there :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahhhh my bad I apologize I misunderstood the question lol. Then what you would do assuming you are using the magni for volume control would be to get a splitter to connect the amp and sub to the magni at the same time as you mentioned. What amp are you thinking? And what speakers do you already have?

1 Like

No worries. Your responses are extremely help and i appreciate it. I have elac debut 2.0 B6.2 and a klipsch 12 inch. I haven’t decided or looked into it much yet and am open to suggestions, but the El amp looks nice.

I may be silly. I think the el amp is only for headphones? gosh

That is correct lol. Honestly I think I would get a decent desktop power amp like a parasound zamp v3 and then just loop the sub in, should be pretty awesome. You would control it from your headphone amp pre out (which if you wanted to get a jds element ii or something that would be a great upgrade as well imo lol)

You recommended that before and it looks nice. So I could hook up my sub to the loop rca section. Then i could set the gain at the parasound zamp and use my preamp to control the volume of both sub and speakers?

This is correct. Should have no issues

Also yeah I recall that now lol

Thank you for the reminder! I think this would be a better option too because I heard the guy at the PS audio videos saying it wasn’t ideal to split from a pre amp to sub and amp because it can mess with the signals or the pre amp wouldn’t be able to drive the signal well enough. I’m going to look up some reviews and i’ll let you know if i get it!

1 Like

You are typically fine splitting but on some setups this can be a concern (going to guess Paul said this?)

Yes i believe that was his name. Is there anything I should check out before committing? The parasound z amp looks good though and it has way more power than my origain.

Hmmm no issues that I spot. I also think if you wanted to upgrade your headphone setup now would be a good time to do so as well

Im getting distracted now, but the Element 2 is very tempting. I will definitely keep that in mind. The huge volume control knob is perfect for a power amp haha. Maybe around november i’ll upgrade something else? My estimated taxes are due in april so i don’t want to get too carried away. lol >< i’ve been rolling around the idea of getting new speakers, maybe klipsch RP 600m, or integrating tubes into my setup. Thanks again for your help. I ordered the parasound and am looking forward to ditching the origain.

1 Like