Worst Headphones of the decade?

I would honestly rather listen to somebody take a bullhorn up to somebody’s butt making noise before I would listen to the HE350. They are that bad.

Everyone seems to hate the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x lol

The HE350 make the M50X sound like the voice of God.

1 Like

How do they compare to Beats?

I’d take Beats over the HE350 without thinking twice, they are that bad.

1 Like

Oh my God! Take that back! :wink:

1 Like

I still have the HD700 and I think they’re are pretty good headphone, not one of my favs but not bad at all.

For me the worst headphone I’ve ever had by far was the Beyer DT990 Pro because that was just all treble and bass with the worst mids I’ve heard on a headphone. They were so sucked out and distant sounding that music was terrible to listen to.

I am completely okay with headphones having sucked out midrange, as long as the bass and treble are high quality and clean, and what midrange is left is good quality. What I can’t stand is when the midrange is sucked out, and the treble and bass are messy and uncontrolled.

I have had my Sennheiser HD700 for probably 7 years by now. It is by far one of my favorite headphones, for several reasons. My previous favorites before it were HD600 and Denon D2000/D5000.

I was saddened when yesterday, the right earpad just split open at the edge, probably due to the heat and the humidity. So now I ended up buying the horrendously overpriced Elite Velour pads from Dekoni (I mean, what the hell is it with 25$ or 45£ shipping rates?) and hoping that they’re more durable.

Although to be fair I can’t shit on them too much for durability as I haven’t changed pads until now. I have worn these headphones for thousands of hours probably. They are some of the lightest and most comfortable headphones I’ve had, bar the HD600 or D5000.

I’m not sure why people seem to be throwing shade at them for their sound signature. Maybe it’s mismatched amps and DACs. I for sure can’t understand it. What I can fault them on is their high price compared to the material. The hinges to the earcups are just plastic and I have had the left side fail on me as a tiny plastic lip broke on them. But as long as you don’t bend them like you want to break them it is fine. Still, it’s the one area where I wish they raised the bar a bit considering what I paid for them, as well as when comparing them to the much more sturdier predecessors like HD580/600/650.

My vote for personal worst experience would probably be the Audeze LCD-1. They just sound wrong. It’s like their sound signature is “concave” somehow. The channel separation is rather impressive, but Everything else about them just sounds fundamentally flawed. This is coming from me that likes the LCD-2 Closed-Back, I enjoy those so much more.

I had the LCD-1 on loan from my brother and I just couldn’t stand them. They were comfortable enough, but the sound just bothered me to no end. Yet when I look here there’s so many that seem to like them and find them a bargain, when I wouldn’t even want to get them for free. Sure I’d take them if I didn’t have any headphones at all. But I would never pay the €400+ they’re asking.

Maybe I’m the weird one?

The original our ear our different while I can agree with not liking the hd 700 with other people I also like headphones that can be devisive and many people dont enjoy like the dt 990 or 1990.

The HD700 stock is pretty bad (to my ears at least). If one does the appropriate mods and runs them off of a tube, they actually have potential to sound really really good. I have a big head, so the HD700 has remained the benchmark in comfort for me. If the HD700 sounded on the same level as it’s comfort, it would be a top seller. That driver does have potential though…if one knows how to appropriately mod it.

I have had many that disappointed me, but hate? I can only think of two:

1. Audioquest NightOwl Carbon
    And
  2. HiFiman HE4XX’s
    Man, I hated those 'phones!

Luckily most 'phones range from unimpressive to AWESOME!

1 Like

Same i found the 4XX dull and boring also the 6XX. Nuemans NDH20. Theres not many headphone i hate but those are the few

I said in earlier in the thread…but the Hifiman HE-350 or HE-35X are the worst things I’ve ever heard. If you ever get the chance to listen to them, do it just so you can have a frame of reference for what awul actually sounds like. lol

1 Like

HE-350 FR Graph is quite scary…

oh my lord

Indeed. Ouchie my ears!

I can’t imagine anything being worse than the HE4XX’s.
Kind of amazing that we could have two HiFiman headphones on this list and yet I Love my Sundara’s and am curious about the Anandas/Aryas. :smile:

There is a pretty big difference between the round cup Hifiman and the teardrop shaped Hifiman headphones, with the Sundara being one of the exceptions. According to Resolve and other reviewers, the round cup Hifiman tend to have better bass extension and more evenly balanced treble, due to seal.

1 Like

I had a hard time with the Sundara when I first demoed them. Then I tested them again a couple of months later and found them more to my liking. Still the comfort and lack of seal was bothering me. It made me appreciate the t60rp I had with me a lot more though.

Speaking of t60rp. Anyone know good tips to fix the squeaky noise in the joint?

But yeah, from a mid to high tier headphone experience, the LCD-1 are among the worst I’ve heard. They are just wrong. Because if I listen to individual details it might sound great, but the overall sound signature doesn’t resonate on any level. I’ve heard many headphones in my life and tested anything from the cheapest to among the most expensive, these ones stick out like a sore thumb.