šŸ”· xDuoo MT-604

Thanks for the detailed responses. By ā€œlow end controlā€, what I had in mind was clarity/tightness and punchiness/macrodynamics in the bass.

Thereā€™s not really a singular ideal tube sound since both wet or dryer sounding tube amps can be great. What I look for in a tube amp is a more natural sound and perhaps some tuning adjustments. M0N or one of the other tube enthusiasts here could elaborate much more on the subject.

One thing you may want to try is using the 604 as a preamp and feeding it into the 789. Youā€™d probably end up with something in between. I run something similar with my 789

Iā€™m happy to hear that my ramblings werenā€™t too overboard haha. I was worried that I was going a bit too in depth.

As far as the bass goes, I feel that the headphones I used had more of an impact on the punchiness. Ive been using the track 2049 by Hans Zimmer to test bass and I didnt really notice a huge difference on bass when swapping amps. Id say the bass was slightly more upfront with 604 and was more pronounced. Now having said that, I might be mistaking bass with distortion. The rumble is less seperated from the other notes when using the 604.

Thanks for more info on the tube sound. If I were to put it into a category of Dry versus Wet; Iā€™d say its more dry.

Iā€™d love to try this as a preamp for the 789 but I dont have the proper break out cable to do it currently. Maybe Iā€™ll add it into my order of tubes :smiley:

1 Like

Does 604 has a pre-out? Or you need to use headphone out?

I thought one of the 4.4 jacks was a preamp out. But apparently itā€™s another input. So you would need to use one of the headphone outs

Thatā€™s correct. So a 4.4 break out would work apparently. Cheap audio man described that this was his method in his Review

Unfortunately no. Just a balanced 4.4 In and 4.4 out, as well as balanced xlr in and a balanced 4 pin xlr out.

I have just upgraded my tubes on the M604 to four matched Mullards. The phrases, game-changer, night and day, and fuck-me-sideways, spring to mind. They are sublime now, so I canā€™t wait until they have burnt in.

Now Iā€™m on the hunt for a set of Telefunken tubes (my favourites).

1 Like

Can you share the link?

If anyone wants a couple pairs of Voskhod 6J1P-EV, I can sell them for $29 shipped (USA). No idea how well theyā€™d pair with the MT-604. But theyā€™re generally well regarded. Iā€™m assuming itā€™s fine to have two different matched sets since the amp has dual volume control.

I bought extras because they were cheap coming from Russia, but the shipping was stupid slow.

[FS] NOS Voskhod 6J1P-EV Pair for Tube Preamp | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

https://www.amazon.com/Voskhod-6J1P-EV-6ZH1P-EV-Matched-Pair/dp/B071H78DHZ

No problem.

1 Like

But we need 4 tubes, does it mean that the seller need to match all 4 tubes?

Yes. I messaged them first and asked if it could be done, and they said it could, just order two pairs and theyā€™d match them.
I ordered them and messaged them to say I had, and they replied that theyā€™d sort it.
I have no means of testing the tubes, other than with my ears, and they sound amazing.

1 Like

Negative and Positive in this context are often misunderstood.
Positive just indicates the outgoing signal has a 0Ā° phase shift while Negative indicates a 180Ā° phase shift.

ā€œCombining the negativesā€ or ā€œcombining the positivesā€ is THE SAME electrically (except when the amp is ground-referenced).

I was testing MT-604 with GL2000 and was switching to Sinxer SA-1. I did not hear any ā€œtubeā€ sound from 604. Is it because of the stock tubes?

1 Like

Hey, Iā€™d buy a set of 4 off of you!

1 Like

I purchased this amp and paired it with my smsl m200 dac, wbc xlr, and hart audio cables. I donā€™t really know why, but my amp the way its set up sounds like itā€™s mono. Is it supposed to sound like this, or is something wrong?

Thank you for sharing your experienceā€¦

Have you tried it with IEMs?

P1 to be specific or any planar IEMs

Maybe I know if the M604 sounds good with 7hz timeless, and P1?

Thank you in advance

1 Like
1 Like

The DX300 balanced output is 1240 mW at 32 Ī© in high gain and the AMP12 card has a tad more :muscle: and Iā€™m at around 50% volume with the P1ā€™sā€¦so the 604 with itā€™s 2000 mW at 32 Ī© should be fine I reckon :+1:

1 Like

No, Iā€™ve sold the MT-604. The stock tubes are not good. I was trying to find a matching set of 4 new tubes and I was not lucky. For IEMs I would get MT-601 or 602 because itā€™s easier to buy 1 or 2 matching tubes than 4.

1 Like