xDuoo should merge the MT-604 and TA-03S

I wish there were a full-tube unit with balanced and single-ended output. Without a built-in dac.

The MT-604 adds great flavor but is only tubing the preamp section. (The two volume knobs are annoying to me personally. How common really, are channel imbalances?)
How many people using the 604 unknowingly leave their knobs slightly out of balance with each other. Compare that to how many people have a channel imbalance for other reasons. Do those have a good chance of evening out? meh

The TA-03S is good at its price point for single-ended shenanigans.

Is there a product out there that’s full non-hybrid tube amp with SE and Bal outputs, but does not have an internal dac? That is to say, not at McIntosh prices.

Have you looked at the xduoo TA-26s?

Might be easier to get a 3.5 to 4.4/2.5 adapter or modular cable for your headphones.

Like someone said, The ta-26s does have a 4.4 out (not actually balanced) with no DAC. There are plenty of hybrid amps that fit you’re requirements though. You’re going to pay $1000+ to get a truly balanced OTL tube amp.

I have, the TA-26s have that front 4.4 I think, however according to Zeos that isn’t really a BAL connection.

Would you have a recommendation for one or two around that price?

The TA-26s 4.4 isn’t balanced but I haven’t found a tubeable headphone it won’t run.

1 Like

I would not say I’m knowledgeable on expensive OTL amps. Decware probably has a model that could be customized to fit you’re needs. Depending on how handy you are, Bottlehead has the Mainline that could be modded to be truly balanced (stock uses SE inputs, but has Balanced outputs). If this is truly what you’re looking for, I would really try to find someone more knowledgeable. Expensive OTL tube amps is a huge rabbit hole I’ve only peered over the edge at.

If I was looking to spend $1-2k, I’d probably go with the cayin ha-3a. It’s not fully OTL or balanced (tube circuit is SE), but it has Balanced inputs and outputs. It has adjustable impedance output. What’s more likely is that I’ll buy the xduoo ta-20 plus. It’s not out yet. Hopefully less than half the price of the ha-3a. It looks to be hybrid, but could very well be OTL. From pictures it looks like they started with th ta-22, took the DAC off and added a rectifier tube. I see balanced outputs, not sure about inputs. No idea on release date.

2 Likes

What are you trying to power that you need true balanced output on?

I don’t really have a direct need. It’s a case of being curious and wanting to get something for all future cans. That being said, I have the HD800S, DT1990, Elegias, and DT990 600 ohm. Verum Mk2 is on the way.

I’m actively looking for more end-gamey cans. Just having a hard time choosing without being able to audition them.

Thanks for the info. Where did you hear about the ta-20 plus?

That is fair, I have tried the TA26s and have a eugonika h5 on the way but those will be the only ones I have heard besides a hybrid the ta22 so any tube amps beyond those are outside of my knowledge. they drive my atriums and auteur classics without issue but I wouldn’t say those are difficult to drive. Hope you can find what you are looking for.

Xduoo has posted some pictures on Facebook. I haven’t seen any official release info

1 Like

Sure, they exist…Woo Audio WA22/WA33, Cayin HA-300BMKI/MKII, Ray Samuels Audio B-52 are some examples. But they aren’t cheap, and there’s a reason that non-hybrid fully balanced tube amps aren’t $500 or less. You can find 1st generation WA22s for $1200-$1500, which is as cheap as you can find a fully balanced tube amp, as far as I’m aware.

2 Likes