xDuoo TA-20, the disappointment

TA-20 is a completely different unit to TA-10. It sounds like you might have a defective tube. Buy some on Amazon or eBay. The 20 is a full on balanced amp hence the two tubes and the 10 has psuedo balanced configuration.

Swap the tube and see how does left sound and swap cables too.

I have the TA-10 and it’s amazing. I actually loaned Z the tubes and we worked out a trade so he could keep the GE. I could not take a tube that brought tears to the eye of the almighty audio God.

3 Likes

I have a liquid platinum and the schiit mjolnir 2, IMO… a “hybrid” amp in my experience has been very MEH… and it seems to ruin everything… maybe it can be done correctly?.. I bought 2 of the best on the market and I’d rather have my 2000 dollars back…

Darkvoice with good tubes is farrrrrr better IMO for a “tube” experience… I can’t play games and get good imagining with a hybrid… and music sounds better on the Darkvoice then either of the hybrids… the liquid platinum > mjolnir to my ears… so there’s that… saving you about 100 dollars if your looking to make the jump, I even got the gold pin JJ’s for the mjolnir… it did it some justice.

I have TA-20 for a month and a half. I use it almost every day. It is connected balanced to ADI-2 Pro FS. I have no noise issues of any kind. I listen to hd6xx balanced, verum 1 unbalanced, LCD-X balanced. None of these headphones produce any noise from this amp. I love the sound. I have no Idea what could be the problem with yours but I wish you lykke til.

1 Like

Hi there! I too have the xDuoo TA-20 and did notice a hiss at high volumes. However, after replacing the stock tubes with JJ ECC82 GOLD ones, that hiss went away, and the sound improved. I am waiting on a delivery of Genalex Gold Lion ECC82 tubes to see if they sound markedly better. Nevertheless, I’d suggest replacing the tubes.

I rolled a pair of Tung-Sol tubes into my TA-20. Ah that warm tube sound.

Go to ebay and buy a NOS lot that is for auction. I know a guy got 12 tubes for $21 and some were worth $40-50 each.

Hi Dunesan
around what volume did the hiss start becoming noticeable?
I just put a pair of genalex gold lion ECC82 in…
same hiss started from as low as 64.

Reviving this old thread to see if the OP ever got his TA-20 working properly?

I have a used one coming in next week and was curious how he made out.

How’s your TA-20?

It works fine. I have used it in both SE and balanced mode. It has a nice sound, but as with the Schiit Vali 2, it doesn’t sound particularly “tubey” to me. I am not won over by hybrid tube amps. I had thought hard about getting a Lyr 3 or even a Liquid Platinum, but now I don’t think so.

I will likely keep one, but I will concentrate on SS amps going forward.

I’d have to agree with this. Granted this is the first and only tube anything I’ve heard, but I thought going from all solid state amps to this I would hear an immediate difference of some kinda and I honestly did not get that. That’s not to say it sounds bad or anything because that’s not the case, it sounds great, but I basically need to “try” to notice a difference between it and my solid state amps. Maybe that’s because I don’t get a ton of hours of listening every single day, I get maybe a few hours at my desk at home a week, so maybe it’s a lack of intimate familiarity. I’m not really sure. But I’ve debating on selling my ta20 for that reason. Again, it’s a great amp that sounds great, it’s just for me it’s debatablely not enough of a difference for me to justify.

Holds true for me with stock tubes and with 1960s GE 5 star tubes.

I have been putting tons of hours in with my gear. When I am working my gear only see’s a few hours on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Since I am not working, I am using my gear every day for several hours.

This month is going to be make or break for several of my amps and headphones and the purge will likely start next month. :grinning:

1 Like

Hello all,

I have also just got the TA-20 and I am facing some volume issue and wondering if someone can help.

I am feeding it with the Topping DX7 Pro and when I use RCA, the unit works as expected, but when I use XLR, the volume is way too low and even at full volume I can barely hear anything (it also sound like the sound is recessed somehow). I am currently using 1/4 output and the 4pin XLR cable is on its way.

What do you think the problem might be?

Is the dx7 pro set to variable volume mode on xlr?

Yes it is on variable volume mode set at max volume

Hmm I wonder if it’s because you are using unbalanced headphones, perhaps it might change when you go balanced headphones wise (some volume might be lost in converting to unbalanced inside the xduoo from balanced)

Maybe… I am hoping the balanced cable will resolve the problem. Waiting for that to be delivered at the moment.

I know this is stupid, but are you using the correct input on the front? You have to choose the balanced input vs Aux1/Aux2.

Yes I have checked all different inputs. AUX 1 and 2 with RCA in works with normal volume, but XLR input has the volume issue.

Did you buy new or used?