xDuoo TA-20, the disappointment

I bought a new unit.

Also, I have tested the RCA out also works with the XLR in, just not the phone out from the front. Is there a way to confirm whether something is defective or I am setting up something wrong.

Pretty hard to set up wrong. You have two RCAā€™s and one XLR in. Then you must pick the correct input on the front. Lastly, you then insert a 1/4" or XLR headphone cable and start listening.

If it doesnā€™t work, I would contact the seller.

Did you fix your problem?

I just bought the TA-20 and I hope I donā€™t have any of the issues reported hear. I did at the same time get a couple of JJ replacement tubes which should be better than the cheap stock tubes these tend to have.

Most of the reviews Iā€™ve seen said itā€™s a good amp, well except on the ASR forum but thatā€™s to be expected over there. :wink:

I can say that my TA-20 sounds great and pairs very well with my iFi Neo and my Z1R and AP2000ti sounds awesome with it. The soundstage is larger on both headphones along with added bass impact and presence. When the tubes I ordered get here I can really see how the TA-20 sounds because the stock tubes while fine arenā€™t as good as ones I ordered.

Hello,
Is it a Good amp for the Lcd 2 C and Fostex Tr x00 phone?
Or give it better?

I would be connect to the Singxer Sda 2 in the balance output from them,and would go out to the XLR from the Amp,because all my phones have a Xlr cabel on it.

How did you remove the stock tubes in the TA-20?
Iā€™ve pulled up, twisted, wiggled, but they donā€™t come out.
Thanks in advance

I just pull up and kind of wiggle them at the same time, they are in there tight but if you pull hard enough theyā€™ll come out.

If youā€™re looking for some really good tubes to use these GE military stock tubes I found and they sound great and are noticeably better than all the other tubes Iā€™ve bought for the TA-20. They were a bit pricey at $100 (the Platinum grade ones) for the pair but imo it was well worth it.

hereā€™s the link if want a pair,

Thanks for the info. On your recommendation and after watching the video on Upscale Audioā€™s website, I placed an order for the GE tubes - thank you.

Good call, they really do give the amp that little extra SQ it needs imo.

Today I FINALLY swapped the stock tubes in my TA-20 to the Genalex Gold Lion tubes. Iā€™ve had them for quite a while now, but Iā€™ve been kinda chicken to do it! I was afraid I would break something. But today I just got over myself and did it!

This is a near perfectly matched set and Man, what a difference over the stock tubes. Donā€™t get me wrong, the stock tubes (I donā€™t know what kind they are, I donā€™t recognize the logo on them) werenā€™t bad at all. in fact they sounded pretty friggin good. But these are definitely a step and a half above.

They provide better low end punch, better tonality overall and so much more clarity and detail. There is also an improved spatial quality to the music and better separation of instruments. And all the while there is still that beautiful bit of warmth and mid bliss. Iā€™m really impressed. I didnā€™t think there was going to be this much of an improvement. I have fallen for this amp all over again. It may not be full-on tube, but damn itā€™s good. Iā€™ve got the Sundaraā€™s on now and itā€™s incredible. Iā€™m not getting that reported hiss others have reported. This thing has been solid since I got it. Two thumbs way up. Viva la Genalex!

1 Like

I had to add that as the Sun goes down here these new tubes glow slightly brighter than the stockers did. No extra heat though. Extra cool. Almost 3.5 hours in now. They actually sound a bit better than when I first fired them up. Very cool.

1 Like

Well, some days later, these new tubes and this amp continues to impress and entertain! First, the tubes. I have to say that I am extremely pleased with these Genalex Gold Lionā€™s. So much so that I may go and see if I can find another matched pair for future use. I couldnā€™t go back to the stock tubes now. Not that they were bad, they were quite good; itā€™s just that these are so much better.

Then there is this amp. It just keeps getting better. Today, after reading the ideas being shared last week of using the MT-602 as a pre-amp, I started to seriously consider doing something similar. And then I thoughtā€¦ " Dude, you have the line out on the TA-20. Try that and feed the SP200 with it."

I have created a whole new sound signature! This new signature is warm, weighty and dreamy in itā€™s stage presentation, yet it is resolving and strong coming out of the XLR output. Itā€™s fantastic! Itā€™s smack dab in the middle between the TA-20ā€™s balanced out and the Straight balanced feed coming from the Frost to the SP200. The more I listen to it the more Iā€™m liking it. I have the Sundaras connected and this is quickly becoming my new favorite. The versatility of this TA-20 is truly impressive.

3 Likes

After a couple of days, it is clear that this new combination of TA-20 pre and SP200 final is my preferred way to listen to music. It was very clever of XDuoo to offer the Pre-out function. Now I can either go out the balanced Class A out of itā€™s own XLR output, or let the unit lay down some tubey goodness and send it over to the SP200, The THX powerhouse. The two together create an incredible sound field. The Sundaraā€™s are turning out to be a great pairing as well.

This amp is an amazing piece. Glad I got it.

This was from 10/21. And all this time later I am still extremely happy with this amp. I have recently replaced my beloved Gold Lions with new PS Vain 12AU7 tubes. I did this because I had a hunch they would improve performance in the preamp role. And they absolutely have. But as I get time on these things, they are coming into their own. So much so that I thought I would connect the HP-2 directly to it tonight and give it a go.

Iā€™m kinda gob smacked right now. These tubes are freakin me out! They are so different than the Gold Lions. And Iā€™m not sure better is the appropriate word. I love how silky smooth and laid back the Lions are. These are soooo not that! They have changed since I installed them, too. They are faster, punchierā€¦ there is an increased tonality and strength in these that really grabs you, all wrapped in this tubey goodness that adds a sort of spatial texture to the presentation.

Add the discreet Class A final stage and you get this pretty damned good output. I canā€™t believe how clean it sounds. Iā€™m still amazed at how a tube change can have such an impact. I have said before that I felt this amp was somewhat under rated, and I still think that. I love the hybrid sound signature. It allows you to run cans like these amazing HP-2s. These things are the shit! These 2 are pairing much better than I remember. I just want to keep listening to it. I guess that pretty much tells the story.

1 Like

Man you make me want to tube roll my TA30. Right now itā€™s so close to my singxer that I need to find different tubes.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny you say that, because as the evening wore on I started to have that thought. The direct balanced output of the TA-20 is now seemingly closer in signature to the SA-1. To what extent I still have to determine. But for me itā€™s not an alarming development because I mostly use the TA-20 as a preamp to feed the SP200 now, and the new tubes are just knocking it out of the park in that regard.

At some point down the road I have a matched set of Mullard 12AU7s that I need to try. But there is no rush as I am very much enjoying whatā€™s happening now!

1 Like

Mine died on me after a few months. All it does when powered on is click repeatedly. No lights or sounds. only clicking noises. :frowning:

Sorry to hear that. Have you been able to get a replacement sent to you? It should still be under warranty, right?