šŸ”· xDuoo XD-05 Basic

looking to get a portable amp, mostly for iems but maybe with headphones (sundaras, maybe other headphones down the line depends doubt theyā€™ll be more than 250 ohms), seems like this or the btr5 are the only options. pros and cons of each i can think of

btr5
smaller, bluetooth/more convenient
way less power, will have to invest in cables to take advantage of balanced
Ā£90

xd-05
Ā£130
much more power, can upgrade to bluetooth down the line, can use with headphones even if not primary usage
way less convenient, bulky

thoughts? seems like the xd-05 is the better option but maybe iā€™m missing something, itā€™d cost another Ā£20 for balanced cables too so btr5 is closer to Ā£110, again primary for iems

I like my Basic, but Iā€™m not in the camp of hauling around a brick. Iā€™d count the Basic as a ā€œput in your bag and take it to the officeā€ sort of deal, maybe.

For me, portable should be pocketable. IEMs and light on-ears.

If price is an issue, I say BRT3K for a touch less for portable as itā€™s enough power for most properly portable stuff, Basic for small desk setup.

Guys, anybody has one of these with a noisy volume knob?
Its not noticeable on harder to drive headphones, but its noticeable on IEMs and my Blon B8.

I regret buying this DAC/AMP. I get a lot of noise everytime i change tracks or play-pause any audio using USB-C input.

I havenā€™t tried optical input yet. Maybe i will get better results.

As Zeos says, this is a ā€œtransportableā€ dac/amp, not portable. It is too big to carry on your pocket. It is a good dac to have on your office desk. The only downside is the bad noise protection.

1 Like

Have you tried different USB cable?

Sounds like you may have a faulty unit?

Yes. The one that comes with the unit came in bad condition so i changed with a better one. It is a chance that the orange USB-C cable that comes with it ruin the inner usb port?

Ok i reply myself with the solution.

Iā€™ve found that this issue happens on Windows when i havenā€™t installed the official drivers in the first place. That was the problem! I realize that on a Mac and on a Samsung S20+ i donā€™t have the problem but on Windows only (trying with 2 different PC).

And thatā€™s it. Xduoo Drivers for windows solved the case. It may be helpful if someone encounter the same issue.

2 Likes

Bought the basic, the original op-amp is garbage. Change the op amp, it will be 3x better the sound quality

1 Like

Hey Iā€™m sort of a novice on this but could you steer me to the proper op amps that work with the xduoo basic ? If you can post a amazon link that be amazing thank you.

Oh one more question to you or anyone else out there, on the product info thereā€™s a diagram that shows the basic connected to ps4 thru usb c and fiber digital in. Question was why isnā€™t it shown using the usb DC in for power and instead shows the dac usb in connected to ps4 running off battery cuz I tried to connect it this way to my ps4 pro and I never got any usb data connection to establish so is this dac amp meant to be able to be used as a dac for ps4? Maybe someone can clarify what the proper setup is or settings ? Thanks yall

Burson v5i is a nice upgrade. Very smooth sounding. The stock op-amp is very grainy in comparison.
Make sure you get the dual so its both L & R channels in the 1 op amp.

Personally, I wouldnā€™t recommend the V5i. IMO theyā€™re popular only because theyā€™re from a name audiophile brand, not really because of their performance. The sound is a little bit bloated in the low end and the quality of that low end is not the best. In terms of the tech that they use, itā€™s also overpriced because itā€™s only an IC opamp with a cap and heatsink. Personally if you want to spend a premium on opamp, I would suggest a Sparkos SS3602 for a more neutral sound, OPA627BP for a more engaging and elevated low end, Muses 03 for a better sound stage, but a little bit rolled off treble and dark sounding, and an AD827SQ for a better imaging and a more neutral sound presentation. But these are based on the XD05 and XD05 plus, I donā€™t know how it will do with the basic.

Edit: Sorry I canā€™t help with your PS4 problem since I donā€™t have a ps4.

1 Like

I had a similar experience as well, I strongly preferred the AD827SQ over the V5i and over the MUSES01/MUSES02, but this was all from op amp rolling with the XD-05 Plus.

To be fair, the V5i was still a big step up over the stock op amp!

EDIT: Adding link to the op amp I liked:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Analog-Devices/AD827SQ?qs=%2FtpEQrCGXCwzB8F8R4nKuA%3D%3D

1 Like

Yea I agree with that, I just feel like V5iā€™s price is a little bit too high for what it offers.

1 Like

Thanks for advice on the Burson I do agree itā€™s to expensive at least for me it is right now, if anyone can link a compatible op amp from Amazon that works with the BASIC ID be grateful, for some reason Iā€™m not having luck finding the correct part when I search amazon( I have gift card balance :grinning:)

One more try on the ps4 usb c dac questionā€¦anyone have experience using this with ps4 ? I mean as of now it works just fine using the usb c plug into a wall wart for power and connecting digital in from my vizio tv. My question is with that configuration arenā€™t I still just using the TV or ps4 as a dac and just have a really expensive desk top amplifier currently ? Hereā€™s the diagram Iā€™m talking about . Anyone know if this device is meant to be used as a DAC as well with ps4 ? Thanksā€¦

Whilst I donā€™t have experience of specifically what you asked, optical from your tv to the xd05 will be using the dac of the xd05 since its a digital signal to the dac rather than a line in signal to the amp of the xd05.

Ok that makes sense. So it im using usb c and spdif at same time and obviously I can only choose one input so spfif provides sound while usb doesnā€™t so yea guess case closed. Thanks for clarification:)

1 Like

Can anyone please provide a amazon store link to any opamp that will be a upgrade over the xduoo BASICS stock opamp? I canā€™t find any on there bcuz itā€™s a little confusing for me. Thanks for any help.

Iā€™m waiting for my t60 argons to be finished and need to decide on an amp. I know Zeos raved about the xduoo xd-05 plus with argons and also mentioned that the Basic can drive them. Does anybody have any experience with the basic or plus paired with argons? Is there a huge difference between the two?