XDUOO XD-05 vs XDUOO XD-05 Plus

That is one thing I want, when buying for more than $1000. If something breaks, I want to be able to get help or have a decent refund experience. And especially the latter is impossible when buying from most chinese web-shops.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the burson v5i gives the original xd-05 better volume control, as in it doesn’t get quite as loud quite as soon? Also I remember hearing about either the high gain or low gain no longer working with the v5i. Is that a thing? Lastly, can the original xd-05 use the single x2 or only the double x1? Thanks in advance.

I havent used the xd-05 without the V5i installed so I cant say how it performs to stock but, on sensitive iems and lower impendence headphones with the V5i, the volume control gets sensitive. For example with my ibasso it03, Im at listening level at 10 but nudged a little closer to 11 and the levels get too loud for me. Not an issue with harder to drive stuff like my 600 ohm beyers. The tygrs are less sensitive but I never get past 12 with them either as reference on low gain. So I could imagine these blowing up iems if the knob gets nudged in the wrong direction.

There isnt a big leap from low to medium gain and its barely noticeable but high gain is a step up. The xd-05 goes into protection mode when I switch the bass on at high gain with the V5i making it unusable on high gain with bass boost. I don’t get this behavior with the AD827SQ opamp in my xd-05 plus.

The single x2 or double x1 will work. I use the double x1 and I’ve seen others using 2 singles pushed up together into the xd-05.

1 Like

What he said…

I have the plus with the v5i and have used it stock, but don’t recall a difference in loudness management.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info @SkipsMchee and @SM_Music I got the double x1. Even if it doesn’t give me better volume management, I’ve heard nothing but good things about how it sounds.

2 Likes

My initial impressions after a few hours of listening are overall positive, but… I’m not sure if I can recommend the burson V5i-D upgrade. There is definitely a sound change (subtle as it may be), but since swapping an op-amp is not quick or something one should do repeatedly, it’s hard to A-B test so I can’t really put it to words yet. Maybe “clearer” if I had to try. I’ll probably swap back to the stock op-amp in a day or two and see if I notice anything more identifiable.

What I can say for certain is the V5i-D has some “quirks” to it. Is seams to drain battery faster (which I was aware of) and it pops when turning it on/off or plugging/unplugging headphones. Neither are a huge deal, but they aren’t good things either.

2 Likes

The op amp need burn in time 100 hours,but i find it change not so many after burn in.

Mine has never poped, neither before or after I got the V5 installed and the battery drainage is not at a level I have noticed.
And yes, both things are not desireble.

Maybe I need to seat mine in the socket better? I felt like I put it in properly, but I was being gentle so maybe I didn’t push it in enough.

Could be, but I wouldn’t know if that can make it pop.

Mine doesn’t pop either when turning on or off.
Did yours do that with the stock op-amp?
There could be a firmware issue. I know earlier versions said “no single” when nothing was connected, but mine says “no signal” so i suspect there was a firmware upgrade along the way to fix a few things like that.

As far as the v5i, i find it smoother and just more beautiful sounding than the stock op-amp. And it doesn’t loose any detail in doing so. On its own the stock op-amp sounds fine, but in comparison the stock op-amp is a bit grainy. I feel a slightly larger sound stage with the v5i as well.

This is testing mostly with Aeon Closed RT and HE-560 v4

No poping with the stock op-amp. Mine does say “no single” when nothing is playing. Where would I get the new firmware and how would I install it?

New info that might help identify the cause of the popping, it still happens even when plugging/unplugging the mini-XLR connector on my hart audio cables.

Another update, I swapped back to the stock op-amp and it did not pop at all.

I also gave it a quick listen before putting the V5i-D back in and I think my initial impression was correct. The burson V5i-D is just clearer. It’s kind of like the Lawton driver side tune-up in that it’s a subtle change and not really a frequency response change, but it’s still noticable.

I found it to have a pretty big difference in terms of sound. The Burson op amp. It made the treble much smoother, improved imaging and separation alot. Tonality was better too. I believe that was really the main differences

Guys,
I have a question, not related to the topic (sorry) more related to the BRAND.

I want a new dac/amp and found this Xduoo XA-10 amezing spects( 2*ak4493 + Clase A amps, balanced output, xmos216 and more) but xduoo is new and I heard some problems with USB and other issues in the past with other products… they are NO reviews yet because the product is quite new ( a couple of unboxing videos and a short review on youtube but no more than that (I guess I will wait for a bit longer) Cost 479$$

so question: how many issues/problems did you have? would you give it a try ?
( I could get a E30+A50s from topping already tested by many users for that money)

The review will comes out!

1 Like

A lot of people here have xduoo stuff, mainly the xd-05 and variants, and I haven’t heard of problems from the Xduoo brand in particular. Heard of “aimpire” selling fake, lo-fi versions of the Topping D10, or topping amps breaking and ruining headphones ( :grimacing: ), but nothing from xduoo for now.

2 Likes

Love my Basic.

4 Likes

Does the xd05 basic or the plus have noticeable latency/jitter when it being used to play fps game like csgo? Or maybe yt video where people talk and the audio + the lip doesnt perfectly match/sync?