XLR connections and AMP implications

Hello there,
I have recently purchased an Aune S7 (full balanced AMP), so now I would like to upgrade my DAC, which currently is a SDAC.
I was considering the Topping D50s as an upgrade because of how well it has been engineered. However, the output is not balanced, so I am also evaluating the option of a SMSL SU-8 v2.

I know that many people would say that balanced is overrated, and that you don’t really need it for short distances. However, I have noticed that XLR connections have more power (usually two times more than RCA), as such wouldn’t there be any volume increase because of the signal being higher ?
I am not saying that the output wattage of the AMP is increased, I am saying that the volume is increased.
Could somebody give me some insight on this matter, or perhaps share your experience with RCA and XLR ?

Also, any advice on any of the two DACs, or others, is very welcome.

A balanced signal typically carries more voltage then unbalanced, so it’s a stronger signal you are feeding the amp vs unbalanced

The smsl su-8 v2 is great, and would recommend if you are looking into it. Lots of features with great sound

1 Like

Also an SMSL SU-8 user here, it is great. Super happy with it. I prefer the XLR signal coming from it, but that is probably more of an amp dependency.

If you want to go Topping look at the D70. It has balanced outputs.

1 Like