🔷 Yamaha HPH-MT5

This is the official thread for the Yamaha HPH-MT5

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Type: Over Ear
  • Amp needed: No
  • Closed Back

:red_circle: Hifiguides Amazon Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews

Yamaha makes headphones? How many models do they have?

They have a fair bit but I can’t name them off of my head or anything lol. They have consumer and more pro models.

can play serious game

yamaha mt 5 can play serious game

I’m trying them right now… very very clear. I wish my Ether CX’s had the range these things do. Initial impression is good, but I think the Bifrost 2 might be too much for these. These headphones sure do needs a bit of power out of the RNHP (more volume than my LCD X’s need).

This is my white pair with Brainwavz micro suede pads and a replacement cable. I was just wondering though, since Z had said that these compete with the M40X, has anyone else tried to compare the two? I’ve never listened to the M40Xs and for some reason there seems to be a lack of reviews and comparisons online for the MT5s.

1 Like

I currently own the MT5s and previously owned the M40Xs. IMHO, the Yamaha’s are a very underrated headphone and I am not sure why they don’t get more praise.

In terms of differences between the two there is not a huge difference, forget about the stock pads on both - neither headphone fulfills their potential because the ears are too near to the driver and makes the sound more aggressive and claustrophobic. FWIW, I’ve got the same ZMF suede earpads Zeos used for his review and the Yamaha’s have an extremely clinical and slightly warmer presentation.

With the M40X I tried both sheepskin and pleather angled and flat pads. Regardless of what pads I tried, there was something about the sound that niggled me, hence why I moved onto the Yamaha’s. I think it’s because the M40Xs had a much drier sound and the bass seemed a tiny bit off (not as much as the M50Xs).

I am not saying one is better than the other and it might be that my ears and listening tastes are different to others but I personally much prefer the Yamaha’s. Like I said it’s not a huge difference, it comes down to personal taste. I guess the best way to compare is to order a pair of M40Xs from Amazon, try out some different pads and see which you prefer and if you want to stick with the Yamaha’s then you can return the other pair.

I am not sure if this helps you but I hope it does! :+1:t2::headphones:

1 Like

Yes, thank you!
I need to have a second or third opinion to verify what Zeos said, and what you said is close to what he stated. Seems like the sound signature is close enough to choose one from both, so imma stick with my Yamaha.

To be honest, I’ve been enjoying it a lot, but it’s just the disproportionate hype between the MT5 and the M40X that’s got me curious.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, there is disproportionate hype around the M40X but then again there is hardly any hype or even praise with the HM5s.

How do you find the comfort and are you using the stock pads? I will be honest, I really struggled when I first got them, the clamp pressure meant I couldn’t wear them for more than 30 minutes. I also found the pads unbearable, simply because my ears got really hot due to the shallow pads and them being pushed right close to the drivers.

I resolved the clamp by bending the headband outwards repetitively but gently and have been experimenting with the pads. The ones Zeos recommended (ZMF suedes) are a bit over the top unless you are using an amp. If not then I wouldn’t recommend them. At the moment I am alternating between Brainwavz angled hybrids and Brainwavz flat micro suede. The former gives a brighter high end whilst retaining if not boosting the lower region whilst the mids are slightly more forward. The micro suede retain a lot of the same sound profile as the stock pads but without the aggression and a more airy soundstage.

I really enjoy them, there is something about that makes me go back to them time and again, I think it’s because it’s such as honest and clear headphone, there is nothing offensive about it and performs really well when they are powered with a decent amp or dap.

I hop you enjoy them as much as I do! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yes, the Brainwavz were the ones I used. Since I got my set upon Zeos’ recommendations, I didn’t really spend much time listening with the stock pads; that is, the sound impression I have for these is simply based on the pad mod already. That said, I love the warmth and richness of the MT5, and the pads add to the comfort. I have no problem wearing them whole day long. Although I’m still mindblown from the sound stage quality from my modded KPH30i, the MT5 is decent enough with additional low end oomph. I have to admit that after having the KPH30i I haven’t been listening to the MT5 that much, but when I want to feel completely closed off for movies, MT5 is still my go-to. One critique that I have for the Brainwavz pads is that it’s a skin oil magnet… I don’t have oily skin but the surface of contact definitely accumulates grease, and it would stain if I place the headphones on my wooden table or place them on my wooden chair:

In fact, I’ve been wondering how to clean the Brainwavz Micro Suede pads since I haven’t done any cleaning since owning them. Can’t find any info on that online either. Any tips?

Anyway, comparing the MT5 to the KPH30i, the former is simply a set of headphones for enjoy and relaxation and the latter is for analytical listening (it frequently distracts me from my work, can’t use it for background music). Definitely still love the MT5 wholeheartedly.

Ooh, that looks pretty bad. Didn’t realise micro suedes could do that, always thought they were inoffensive to other inanimate objects but those photos prove me wrong!

It’s a given that suede is very difficult to maintain or repair, I don’t actually think it’s physically possible to restore them once they start to wear. Unfortunately I think that the only option is to buy a new pair and store them away in a proper headphone case to prevent the earpads from getting damaged or worn.

I haven’t heard the KPH30i, unfortunately they’re not for sale in the UK. I was wondering whether this was another one of those hype headphones but judging from the recent comments about the new Clear variant I am guessing there must be some credibility to the praise they are receiving from the audiophile community. I own the Porta Pros with Yaxi pads and they’re ok, they are good for what they are but they can’t compete with other headphones in my collection.

In the meantime I’ve been experimenting further with pad swapping on the HM5s and for me the Brainwavz Micro suedes win hands down versus all the other pads. I find that wearing an angled pad for example you lose some of that warmth and richness you refer to, which is definitely a trait this headphone has over the M40X.

I hope you can find a solution to your pad problem, pardon the pun! :wink:

1 Like

They’re available on Amazon UK right now (I’m from UK as well):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-KPH30iw-Headphones-Microphone-Lightweight/dp/B075FDCYFD

But I got mine from Drop. However I’m not plugging; if you have the Porta Pros and feel it’s ok, I think you’re fine. The KPH30i is not known for having better sound quality than higher end headphones; rather, they’re well-known for their price-to-value differential which blows minds.

I just did a EQ with the Peace on my laptop. Turns out I could make the MT5 sound even clearer in the highs (upgrade moment YESSS).

1 Like

Yo boys anymone know some hifi raplacment cable to mt5?