Yet another competitive fps topic - 1990's or?

So I’ve been lurking and scrolling through many of the similar threads and different forums… Think I may need some emotional support for my purchase :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

While taking games somewhat less seriously these days I still like to play ‘competitive’ at a high level/rank so hearing enemy positioning and footsteps in tactical fps games like Valorant is my main focus. I’ve used ad700/x’s since 2010 just want something that’s nice and ideally built well.

Here are the headphones I’m deciding between: (cost isn’t a factor just including AUD prices)

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - $709
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 600Ω - $299 (how do they compare to 880 Pro 250Ω?)
Hifiman Sundara - $469
Sennheiser HD 560S / 58X / 6XX - $200 / $270 (didn’t look much into these tbh)

Considered TYGR’s but figured the 1990’s I’m leaning towards would be a better option especially on build quality however imaging/placing sounds is my priority and this video has made me consider that choice but it’s just one opinion… Quest for Best Competitive Gaming Audio Part Two - Sennheiser 560S vs DT 1990 Pro - YouTube

Any input on what to get would be appreciated, I know it’s a thread that comes up often and there isn’t a ‘best’ answer. I just need some help to pull the trigger.

Recently got a deal on a FiiO K5 Pro so that’ll be my dac/amp for now.

I’d encourage searching used markets on this… they can go for $400 mint… quite a difference and save you in the long run but for just like what valorant? Csgo? Eh this is major overkill

600 ohm has just all round better sound… less bright, more detail, better balance, bit more bass, etc but it needs a good setup to drive it. Though iirc k5 pro may struggle with the 600 ohm 880… I’d ask for clarification to this in its thread as I’m unsure.

This would work fine… its naturally well rounded for pretty much whatever as long as your okay with higher treble.

This would be a good option or tygr 300r, maybe sennheiser 560s

Imaging is alright, lots of soundstage. If you want build quality though this is not it.

560s will perform in fps better in the 500 series. For 600 series youd want 660s. 600 series has less soundstage

Tygr has a large soundstage and a laser accurate imaging… 1990 is all around better but costs a hell of alot more. Most games sound engines limit what you can do making 1990 overkill in most cases

I’d recommend sticking to either sennheiser or beyer as both will do well. 880 tygr or 560s in particular will get you far. If you need that big spacious sound though I’d say either a beyer or go bigger with hifiman with the 400se… all of these hit higher than price suggest

Valorant is my main game too, and sounds tremendous on the 1990s. Granted it hasn’t gotten me out of scrub ELOs but the audio cues are excellent and if you’re ok with a brighter sound you’ll enjoy them for music as well.

As Falenkor pointed out, the differences might be relatively minor in games, since most of these headphones are likely beyond what the game engine will produce, but if you’d be listening to music as well it may be worth the bigger investment. They do go on sale from time to time though.

Some, not all. Valorant doesnt need that much in technical performance just like csgo. Definitely not as demanding as like tarkov, hunt, siege, etc. Respectable stage, as good imaging as possible, after that it’s all sound quality provided theres no over abundance of bass and the upper frequencies are emphasized

Provided he can tolerate the treble and very analytical nature then absolutely

Thank you for the responses! I’m aware of the gaming overkill factor and get what you mean by ‘saving in the long run’ when theres comparable performance in cheaper options. I’ll keep this in mind but guess I’m in a slight ‘buy it nice’ phase.

My experience with used in Australia can be a struggle. Prices often list for/over retail, listings are sparse/spread out and there’s just a smaller market. Guess it really comes down to the effort you put in. I have found some decent 1990s for $550 shipped though (390 usd).

On your last point I might actually pick up the 560s for $260 and HE400SE for $209 and then return one, I wasn’t really considering ‘trying’ headphones in this manner but seems worthwhile.
Allows time to find what I like and look around for a decent deal and gives something else to compare the 1990 or tygrs when I can get my hands on them.

I don’t expect my headphones to be carrying matches (that’s what my chair is for). I play mid immortal ranked and just want the best imaging I can get, while at the same time if I end up with a pair of high quality headphones I can have for years I won’t be disappointed.

Something I’m open to trying, as you say 1990 is better in all regards I think i’ll end up picking them up. I’ve gone through the posts in your write up and other threads could you possibly provide a summary between 1990s and Tygrs?

Stage is similar 1990 has just a bit more.
Imaging close but 1990 is a bit sharper
Signatures neutral bright or sharp v 1990 while tygr is a subtle V shapr
Separation tygrs good here but 1990 is designed to tear things apart and pick flaws out of music
Timbre eh I’ll give this more if an equal… in most cases as the treble is over the top on 1990… granted instruments sound better and more crisp on 1990
Comfort tygr is lighter and uses the cheaper 990 pads 1990 has the better smoother pads but tygrs have a beveled edge to make the more like ear muffs over the ear
Scaling tygr has essentially zero… 1990 can sound better on better amps and dacs
Clarity and texture absolutely better on 1990
I can keep going but essentially its just a better headphone… the main differences though are preference really like comfort, build, detachable cable or not, weight, treble sensitivity, and use case.

Personally the 1990 was too aggressive for me to use comfortably… so I’d take tygr over them but opted to its brother the t1 2nd gen(essentially just an upgraded dt 880)