Your Top 5 IEMs right now that you are using?

• Dunu Vulkan
  • Modded Pandas
  • IMR Elan+
  • Light Harmonic Mera
  • KBear Ormosia/Rosefinch for outdoor EDC duties

When I get my Fat Cosmos back from Shortbus, and EA1000 from @VIVIDICI_111, they’re probably going to move the bottom two/three out.

But I’m feeling very covered by the sets I will have. Feels nice to be content with my sound

7 Likes

This looks like a solid option. I hope it sounds like that. :fire:

1 Like

Hi Goober, maybe I missed the panda mod, can you please briefly explain the mod for panda

The Panda mod is putting either a set of KBear Rosefinch filters on top of the existing Panda filters, or alternatively a set of 500mesh filters.

If you want extra bass, then you need to tape the front vent: There are two vents on the shell and you want to tape the vent closer to the L/R indicators on the shells

2 Likes

Both vents are about the same distance from the printing on mine, so do you mean the one closer to the nozzle?

1 Like

Further from the nozzle

2 Likes

Further, Thanks !! The Panda nozzles seemed “not like the others”, but it might explain it being the most DD sounding planar on the market. The typical vent layout is usually one on the side ( near the cable connector ), and one on the nozzle side. The one by the nozzle is usually the one you tape to get more bass, so yet another way the P1 Max breaks the rules.

I have a pair of KBear Rosefinch incoming. We agree on enough other stuff, I figured I needed to hear them. Plus I have plenty of micropore tape, and some extra filter mesh on hand.

The Tanchjim One DSP is my favorite under $30 right now, @VIVIDICI_111 and @hawaiibadboy got me to try those, and I have no regrets.

All of that said, Kailua and Tea2 are the pairs I reach for when I get to do focused listening. Galileo is my goto for gaming.

4 Likes

They wouldn’t be in my top-5 used if I didn’t think they were solid options, so yes. They are lol

I believe you mean this one?

That is what I call “outer” vents on my mod naming system.

(and the one closest to the nozzle, the “inner” vent.

Yeah it’s weird though cause conventional wisdom iirc is taping that one lowers bass but on this set it def bumps it. Tapping the inner vent bumps it more but immediately causes pressure issues for me

Then it sounds like both are acting as the “same” type of vent. This I am not 100% sure about but I believe the “inner” vent boosts the bass when it blocked, because that is the vent that is facing the driver and blocking it will cause it to seal more (like how it is when you fit an iem, no seal = no bass). As for why the “outer” vent REDUCES bass when blocked, i believe it is because you are turning it from a “vented” shell (think speakers) to a “sealed” one.

(could be wrong so take it with a grain of salt.)

2 Likes

That’s the one. I usually think of an outer vent, being on the side of the shell, like on Penon IEMs such as Serial or Vortex so that’s why I used the wording I did

1 Like

The “outer” and “inner” terms I use are in reference to how close they are to the nozzle. :joy:

I would just specify the vent on the faceplate as just that, “faceplate vent blocked” or something like that.

1 Like

Point is, we sure like not using a consistent vocabulary in this hobby. And then people have to jump through hoops to know what the hell we’re talking about! :man_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

Just hit 75 IEMs ranked - here’s where the top 5 stand as of now:

Rank Brand Model Status
1 64 Audio Tia Trio Own
2 64 Audio U12T Own
4 Elysian Acoustic Lab x Effect Audio Gaea Sold
3 64 Audio U6T Sold
5 64 Audio U4S Sold

It’s a lot of 64Audio - probably because most of the kilobucks I’ve heard are from them :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah lol. 5 audiophiles in the room and you have 6 different terms for the same thing. :joy:

3 Likes

In No Particular Order

Empire Ears Legend EVO
Softears Twilight
Plunge Audio Unity
Simgot EA1000
EPZ Q5

Love theese all for various reasons.
I am a stage Whore and they all kinda kill it … In a great way not a kill the stage kinda way.

8 Likes

Current rotation:

The Shanling Sono got me hooked with their Bio-Diaphragm for bass, LCP for midrange and single BA for treble. All around my favourite bass crank machine currently. Itching for the new Shanling on hifigo with a new single ceramic DD.
How do we call this shape? Is it a V or is it a Singularity?

Softears Volume as a palate cleanser, vocal centric, Ambient and Berlin School stuff. This one had to grow on me. Now I like it a lot.

Truthears Zero Red Crinacle’s best one in price to performance I heard yet. A very balanced and satisfying experience.

XINHS x Akros Erasmus because it deserves more listening time.

Tripowin Piccolo as good as it gets for under 50$. Heck I wouldn’t have complained if this was sold over 100$.

7 Likes

How does it sound for Techno? (I believe you listen to electronic music)

1 Like

It depends on the style and what you want to focus on. Definitively not a techno all-rounder. For slower, bass heavy electronic, something like Ambient Techno, Dub Techno, Grime, Dubstep, the Sonos works perfect. Droning, visceral and gritty:

Epic Convextion mix that works with the Sono :smile:

Anyway you asked about Techno. For more straight Techno it works okish. I’d take a more balanced set for longer sessions. With higher bpm bass can get a bit unnerving. The over 130 bpm stuff especially.

But don’t leave yet. Here’s the big butt: my set came with 2 sets of identical nozzles; the bass heavy ones. I’m going to buy another Sono at the next sale or simply ask Shanling for replacement nozzles. I have to listen to the more balanced nozzles. If they sound like they graph the Sono becomes a true all-rounder.

While we’re at it why not check out my 3 new mixes on soundcloud or mixcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/tgh-555/tracks
https://www.mixcloud.com/tgh/uploads/
More to follow.

Cheers

2 Likes