Your Top 5 IEMs right now that you are using?

Thanks!!

I mostly listen to Techno like Johannes Heil that you shared.

Currently my favorite IEM for it is the Kiwi Ears Quartet. I’ve also enjoyed OH10 but the fit was bad for me.

Wrong format

Top 5 in ranked order and excluding those I use for actual monitoring:

1. MMR Thummim: I’m telling you, these are the single most engaging IEMs I have ever heard. Period. They make me want to listen to them and nothing else.

2. Dita Perpetua: These single DD wonders are super expensive and in no way worth the price jump over the Twilights, but I got them in a way that offered me ownership for much less and I took it. These are everything a single DD IEM should be. Dynamic, articulate, and rich bass, but not overpowering. Mids that make voices of all stripes sound natural, vibrant, and realistic, and highs that finish everything off with micro detail and ambiance. Though not technical monsters, they do have some technical chops and don’t leave you wanting. The staging is quite good with plenty of width and depth, combined with height that allows for plenty of layering. Whitney Houston singing I Will Always Love You through these and my Cayin N8ii was legitimately an emotional experience for me. Coltrane’s playing on Giant Steps was so intensely real that I played sax for 4 hours later that day. Just so so good.

3. S12 Glamdring: No joke, throw on some math rock, prog metal, etc and you’ll have some of the most fun you’ve had during an IEM sesh. The depth, bass power, and dynamics are insane on these things and they’ve gotten a lot of eartime since Jay sent them. Thanks again bro!

4. Mangird OG Teas: That’s right. I scored a pair of the originals in excellent condition. I had never heard the infamous Teas before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. What I got was the ultimate all-rounder IEM for all day sessions. It still has punch, dynamics, detail, good staging, imaging, and other techs. The treble isn’t particularly conservative, it’s just done right so it doesn’t have fatiguing peaks. I can listen to them all day with an genre(s) and love it. That’s one hell of an accomplishment for an IEM.

5. ThieAudio Prestige: I have been on an 80s metal kick lately (think Guns n Roses) and the Prestige are the perfect IEM for the genre. They kill most classic rock too so I’ve been loving them before and after early morning surf seshs.

12 Likes

I’ve recently snagged a Glamdring myself! Very satisfying bass that doesn’t bleed into mids. I do want a hair more mids for my library (jazz and classical), but it’s only a problem at low volumes. Staging and imaging are excellent.

How are you finding the timbre?

8 Likes

To me, the timbre is a little thick and bottom heavy, but it’s still relatively accurate. I think the prominent bass shelf carries far enough into the mids that it can’t help but be skewed a bit.

2 Likes

They are truly amazing.

My current top 5 have been pretty steady for a while

1. Mangird Tea - These are just amazing, and despite being a great all day IEM, they will wow you.
  2. Mangird Tea MK2 - Take the OG Tea, but make them a bit more V shaped. These are spectacular for rock.
  3. Tripowin Kailua - A great all arounder with solid bass. They do everything well.
  4. Tripowin Olina SE - The under $100 king from 2022.
  5. Tin P1 Max - I got to these late, but they are amazing. They have a flat treble tuning that reminds me of the OG Tea.

All of that said, I have been really enjoying two budget sets over the last few weeks.

• KBear Rosefinch - If you want some sub-bass, this is absolutely amazing. I am really enjoying the late gain, and elevated sub-bass. It leans a bit dark, but in the best ways. I am probably going to get another pair just to mod.
  • Tanchjim One DSP - This is the programmable cable that HBB and Jay raved about. I keep them in my nightstand.

Honorable mention to the Truthear Hola that I keep at my desk.

6 Likes

I got to the Teas very late a basically bought them on a whim because I saw them offered at a low price with low hours and I am still really enjoying them on the daily. :metal::sunglasses:

5 Likes

I too got my tea :cookie: late in the game but I’m glad I did. They are truly an amazing IEM, I’m happy I have them as a part of my collection - they’re probably one of those IEMs that may never leave me just because they do have that special something about them.

2 Likes

Have you tried KE Quartet? To me they are a straight upgrade from Kailua with better fit to boot.

2 Likes

I could not get along with quartet. It was too muddy and dull for me. I enjoyed the Kailua much more. I will agree though that the quartet fit was superb and much better than the kailua

3 Likes

That was my take on it too, and I am with you on the fit.

I put the Dunu S&S tips on the Kailua, and it fits much better now. Those have become my goto tip for tough to fit IEMs.

1 Like

Currently as follows

1. ORIVETI OD200
  2. IMR Acoustics Titan
  3. EPZ 530
  4. IKKO OH5 ASGARD
  5. Fiio FD7

Very rare to get an iem that you feel has been made just for you but the Oriveti OD200 is the one it touches my musical soul and makes hours dissappear

8 Likes

Totally agree, brother. :metal::sunglasses:

1 Like

Let me know if you ever do a write up! I like Oriveti overall, and a DD is a DD.

4 Likes

I plan on it, it’s so good

3 Likes

I notice that you’ve enjoyed the EPZ Q5, as have I - any comparison with the Oriveti?

The Oriveti OD200, these are very promising DD iems with a lovely premium unboxing experience, beautiful real leather carry case, very ergonomic, with interchangeable terminations on the colour matching cable(no need for third party cable with these) I’m using the new Divinis Velvet tips with the silver tuning nozzles. The iems themselves are small fit and disappear in my ears. So far smooth warm with, textured bass good note weight very natural timbre with lively treble just enough detail to reveal nuances in the music without distracting. I’m going to live with this setup before I try the black tuning nozzle which appears to boost the treble area. On first impressions I think they are going to be a favourite. The $199 price is a steal for what you get going head to head with my Meze Advar, IE600 and Dunu Zen and are a level above the Q5

12 Likes

Thanks for that perspective - going on the list!

Top 5 IEMs at the moment?

1. Kato with ePro tips and balanced Hakugei Lucky Voice cable into LoToo Paw S1-go to for JRock and Classic rock and sometimes EDM
    1.1 Stock Bravery into Cayin Ru6-go to for singer/songwriter, and female vocals. Simply sublime synergy and performance. “Budget” endgame for that genre/conditions
  2. Stock Hana 2021 into everything-classical and jazz
  3. Yume OG with balanced Penon CS819 cable into L&P W1-when I want a slighty warmer (vs. Kato and Hana 2021) Harmon-ish
  4. Penon Serial with a variety of cables and tips into L&P W1-go to for male vocals and sometimes EDM
5 Likes

My top 5 this week:

1. Campfire Jupiter V2: Picked these up on a whim and I have been loving every minute of it. The BA bass is some of the closest I have heard to presenting like a DD. The timbre doesn’t have that residual metallic ring that most BA based IEMs have which was another surprise. They also have a very dynamic presentation that really gets me into the music. What can I say? They shocked me and I can’t stop listening to them.

2. 64Audio Volurs: I am sending these to Jay to review so I won’t say much, but I own 5 pairs of 64Audio IEMs aside from these and the Volurs certainly compete for the top. I’ll leave it at that.

3. Campfire Supermoon: I’ve said enough about these in the past, but they’re still the best planar I have heard by a mile and I love them.

4. Orioles Szalyis: Big, dynamic, and powerful. They make music sound like you’re front row getting blasted by a wall of speakers from your favorite band. Nothing else sounds like them.

5. SoftEars Twilights: They just have perfect timber, wonderful balance, and the amazing ability to sound powerful one second and then ethereal the next. These would be my suggestion for anyone looking for a one and only single DD.

17 Likes