Zen air can makes sense for me?

Hi all,

Currently I use the SMSL AD18 to power my stuff, I’m wondering whether getting the Zen Air Can would make sense for me. I have an E10K I could use as DAC.
My daily drivers are the Hifiman HE 400i (2020), and I also use Sivga SV021 whenever I need a closed back.
I’m slowly starting to eye an upgrade to the 400i, and I’m eyeing the Edition XS (though I suspect I won’t upgrade for another year or so).

I got the AD18 because I also have speakers which I need to power and I needed Bluetooth for those.

Does it make sense to get the air can or will I not notice much difference now and should I wait until I actually get a new pair of headphones?

1 Like

I’ve been considering getting that or the Zen Can just for the analog bass boost. I have a couple of headphones that would probably sound good on… I mean, I’d say go ahead and get it, if you’re looking to add that to your listening experience. Might add a fun element of enjoyment to your HE400i too. Not sure the Edition XS would need the bass boost, though.

The SMSL SH-8S is on sale on Drop.com for $130 tax free (well, they refund it after the purchase), if you’re just looking for something powerful and really clean/detailed. Great bargain at that price…

2 Likes

I have never heard the Zen Air Can or the AD18, but just from looking at the specs, I would bet that adding the Air Can would give you an improvement even with your current HE400is. The AD18’s headphone output is weaker than many dongles and, while the HE400is aren’t incredibly hard to drive, they do open up a bit with more power, especially when they’re only running off something pushing 53mW currently. So yeah, I’d say get it. :+1::sunglasses:

Edit: I’d also start looking at replacing the AD18 as the primary DAC in your rig in the future as well, but that’s not what you asked and the Air Can will give you better performance with the AD18 pulling DAC duty anyways.

1 Like

I haven’t heard the AD18, so I can’t compare, but by itself I thought the ZEN Air CAN was pretty good. I did a review of the whole Air lineup:

I really appreciated the bass boost for my HD 8xx, and I think the xSpace is a subtle but nice crossfeed + slightly out of your head effect. More about the bass boost, it’s pretty focused on atmospheric sub bass that thickens up the presentation nicely, but it’s not a strong bass boost (I didn’t feel like I was overdoing it by turning on both the Air DAC aaaaand the Air CAN’s xBass boosts together). I think you could get used to both of the effects pretty quickly, but you miss them when they’re gone haha.

I wish I knew what the SMSL SH-8S sounded like, but you can’t hear everything (especially since I don’t make much money, just a bit above paycheck to paycheck).

I don’t have any financial incentive with iFi, but I do some consulting for DROP. I suggested that DROP may want to carry them, but they’re vetting the company to see what they think of them.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses!

I live in Europe, so Drop is a bit of a hassle and I would have to pay import taxes anyway. The bass boost is also what draws me to the Zen stuff. I used to have a Zen Dac, but I only had IEMs then and I didn’t particularly think it helped them (both in terms of power and the bass boost, because the IEMs I mainly use have plenty of bass).

If I am buying the Zen Air Can, I would use the FilO E10k as the primary DAC for that stack, so it would be PC (Spotify) → E10k → Zen Air Can. I am keeping the AD18 as DAC for the speakers because it has bluetooth built in.

Nice review! Have you per chance heard the Monoprice Liquid Spark? I have owned that one as well but I didn’t notice much difference (if any at all) between that and the FilO E10k. That’s why I sold it when I needed something that could power passive speakers and had bluetooth.
I was looking at the Zen Air DAC ad well, but it has basically the same output power as the E10k (200mv @32 ohm on the E10k and 230mv @32 ohm on the Zen Air DAC).

I am very confused about the S-bal output of the Air Can. Should you use a balanced cable? Because it looks like it’s not real balanced and it doesn’t seem to offer more power.

2 Likes

The E10k has a bass boost, but it’s not great. I like what it does to the bass, but it extends into the mids and I don’t like what it does to male vocals (Mark Kopflers in any case).

Well, they have an international shipping refund coupon going on right now at Drop.

Thank you! I used to do a lot of reviews, but I’m about 6 years rusty, so I’m glad I still covered important stuff and gave a good impression.

Do you mean the Monoprice Liquid Spark DAC, or the amp? Because the Spark amp is a bit of a different product than the DAC. I have no idea what the character is of the DAC, but the amp has a more romantic musical sound (not a dry, analytical, shouty sound). In some ways, it’s one of the more “tubey” sounding solid state amps, so if you didn’t hear a difference between it and the FiiO, then maybe either your headphone is coloring the sound so much that you can’t hear the difference anyway, and it’s also true that some of these changes are less obvious and harder to observe when you don’t know what to listen for (not always evident in all songs). Like a sommelier can better distinguish the tastes between wine, an experienced listener can more quickly get a feeling for differences. Most amps are not like equalizers that change the frequency response of headphones… it’s more like how they blur and sharpen sounds, don’t sag and sound anemic in the bass, handle dynamic volume peaks in the music recording, crosstalk, have pleasing/unpleasant distortion in more/less quantity.

I do own an E10k, but I haven’t used it in about 6-7 years, it was OK but didn’t leave a distinct character in my memory (I’d have to listen again to get a better idea). The coolest thing about the E10K is that it can act as a DDC and convert USB to Coax if you have a coax-only DAC (which is literally the reason why I bought one, I had an old Theta DAC).

If you’re happy with the e10k sound, but you just need more power, the Air CAN – uh – can do that. But the Liquid Spark could have done that too, as it has a massive power output (like the specified 1300 mW into a 50 Ω load is a conservative estimate…), and most headphones don’t need a ton of power (check a headphone power calculator tool and fill in your headphone’s specs).

If what you’re actually looking for is a difference, because you want to have fun (which… we’re listening to music, watching movies, playing games, having fun is certainly a fine goal!), then messing with the xBass and xSpace features of the Air CAN do give you an A/B comparison and I feel they’re fun to mess around with.

The literature around the S-Bal output is indeed confusing. I’m not even sure the description of S-Bal is consistent across all of iFi’s products :sweat_smile:. It seems like sometimes it’s got a power amp each for the right and left channel, other times it’s just a single power amp and they’re doing something special with the grounding. I read iFi’s PDF that explains S-Bal, and even with the diagrams it’s still not entirely clear to me how it’s wired! The PDF document states that the Pro iCan and three other older amps mentioned can accept a balanced plug with four connection points (Chinese 3.5Pro TRRS plug), but there’s no 3.5mm TRRS output on the ZEN Air CAN. Well, 4.4mm Pentaconn uses four connection points (technically it’s also TRRS), so maybe that counts… but I briefly read something from an ex iFi engineer who created S-Bal who stated that the new designs aren’t the same as what he designed.

:man_shrugging:

If we take them at their word though, apparently on the Air CAN the end result and user benefit is that it reduces crosstalk without the typical noise increase of balanced amplification, aaaand essentially the 4.4mm output is simply adapted from this “reduced crosstalk” unbalanced circuit. So, yes, the power output is the same on both connectors, and both the 6.5mm and 4.4mm Pentaconn outputs have reduced noise and crosstalk vs a typical unbalanced connector.

1 Like

I used to have the Liquid Spark amp, not the DAC. I figured I’m just not that sensitive to it, just like I can’t differentiate between 320kbps and FLAC (believe me, I’ve tried). I guess I would mostly get it for the xBass if I were to purchase it now, since the bass boost on the E10k boosts all the way to like 400MHz which is too much for me. I enjoy the extra rumble and the more present bass-lines, but I don’t like what it does to voices so I don’t turn it on.
Sounds like the S-Bal on the Air Can probably won’t be interesting enough to throw another €50 at a balanced 4.4mm cable if I don’t notice cross-talk to begin with.
Thanks!

1 Like

The marketing material (unless I misunderstand, which is all too easy from the way they worded it and illustrated it) makes it sound like there isn’t a difference between the 4.4mm and 6.5mm outputs. That’s fine with me: pretty much every headphone comes with a single-ended cable and I almost never need “more power” from a balanced connector. If I buy aftermarket cables, I still buy balanced cables because you can adapt 4.4mm to single ended (so I can use them with any amp).

Most amps with a balanced output are just designed to work at their most optimum with balanced, and then the Single Ended output is adapted from the balanced stage using a phase splitter or something. With the Air CAN, it’s like the opposite, where it’s a single ended amp design and the balanced output is adapted from that. As far as I can tell. HAHAHA!

I should have gone to sleep hours ago (I’m in the US), I enjoy iFi products but they’re often over engineered. I don’t think it’s a “con” on their product’s performance, but I do wish the product marketing didn’t give me headaches :joy: Another thing that used to always mess me up was with their iDSD products: they expect you to turn the iDSD on first, THEN plug in the USB cables, but I didn’t know that so I kept thinking my iDSD Micro was defective. The Zen products were thankfully simpler to use.

1 Like

Music compression is supposed to be super subtle/not noticeable! But, I’m curious, what headphones do you use? And if you can’t tell because of your ears, well… hearing health is important, but don’t worry too much if you can’t hear the difference, because it’s more like noticing a flaw when you have to face it, rather than heavens’ gates opening to you when you use Hi-Res :joy:

I have a lot (well relatively, a little compared to most on this forum lol).
Headphones:

• HE400i (2020) :heart:
  • DT880 pro
  • Sivga SV021
  • CoolerMaster MH752 (rebranded Taktstar 83pro)
  • Koss Porta Pro
  • Koss KSC 75 :heart:

IEMs:

• FiiO FH3 :heart:
  • Blon Bl-03 :heart:
  • Tin Hifi T2
  • Geek Wold GK10

And a bunch of stuff I have sold or returned. I have never noticed much difference in DAC or amplification, except dedicated DAC/AMP vs jack from the laptop.

Sleep tight :wink:

1 Like