šŸ”¶ ZMF Auteur & Auteur Classic

Iā€™ve been eyeing the ZMF dynamic line of headphones for a while now and will probably end up being the next line of headphones iā€™ll be purchasing next. Iā€™ve been particularly looking at the Verite and Verite Closed. I know the entire line of flagship models are suppose to compliment each other but does it make sense to look at the Auteur line if I go with the Verites first?

1 Like

The Verites are compared to the Focal Utopia a lot. Elevated and extended treble and bass with a LOT of detail. The Auteur are more laid back with a neutral presentation. quite nice. So i think those would be good together. but the Aeolus is a darker headphone (unless you used the suede pads) but i suspect has similar tuning to the Verite. Maybe @M0N can weight in here.

From what i hear the Verite Closed has gotten a better reception than the open. and ive heard some people have problems with the verite ironwood closed. not sure what the problem is.

The neutral Auteur may give you a better idea of what the artist intended.

I think the aut is a different enough headphone from the verite to own both imo. Also perhaps consider the eikon as well as thatā€™s a more fun tuning of the aut almost

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the pleasure of listen to the auteur with my tube amp today. Iā€™ve really been enjoying them so far so I thought Iā€™d give them some props which I think they deserve. I donā€™t intend to A/B them with my Aeolus nor my Clear, but I will say that after listening to the Aeolus pretty much all week, the auteur provides a me a touch more bass, resolution, and aggressiveness that I wish it had.

One thing that Iā€™ve noticed with the auteur is that it is pretty well balanced in my opinion. Iā€™m impressed with the mids as I do feel this is where these excel. Some tracks with great vocals or strings or piano have stopped me in the middle of what I was doing demanded undivided attention. I find the bass to be very present and punchy with plenty of quantity with a good amount of kick, but not bloated. Likewise the treble on the auteur is resolving, I donā€™t find it sibilant and the detail is sufficient for my taste. It also does really well many types of music and Iā€™m liking the bass heavy tracks, EDM, hip hop, which is a pleasant surpise.

tldr: balanced, does well with various music genres

12 Likes

Who has tried any of the other pads outside of the stock Auteurā€™s? Iā€™ve heard from enough people that have mentioned that the Auteur can change up their signature a fair amount depending on the pad. Not surprising actually but curious what experiences others have had. Figured I would try out the ZMF universal suede but looking to test out at least one or perhaps two others. Eikons? Gracias.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I donā€™t have any experience with the Auteur, just wanted to say hi! :grin:

1 Like

In Joshua Valors video he talks about how its changes with the suede. i think he tried another too. heres the video

I dunno, can you live with just one type of wood? :wink:

Someday in the not-too-distant future a closed Verite will join my Eikons and Auteurs. It was easy to start with Auteurs and Eikons because I already had Utopia and Stellia for beryllium detail, and Auteur & Eikon are more different than just open and closed versions of the same headphone. I actually liked the Auteur sound bestā€“Iā€™m partial to open headphones when I can get away with themā€“but (back when my world involved working out of an office) closed-back headphones work better for the majority of my listening time. So I got both.

That mix of open-and-closed ZMFs has been a good way to stretch my experience with the line; since many accounts have described the open and closed Verites as a pretty close match, perhaps something like a closed Verite + Auteur or an open Verite + Eikon would be a good way to do the same?

Iā€™m not sure anymore how much ā€œoverlapā€ there is between Auteur/Eikon and Verite in terms of style / sound signature. However, what was once my justification for avoiding Verite before has become my justification for getting it now: the Eikon and Stellias are my two favorite headphones, and if the closed Verite is something of a marriage of the two it can only be a good thing.

Meanwhile, owning a couple pairs of ZMFs expands opportunities for pad-rolling, playing with multiple amps and tubes and whatever.

Does it make sense to own both? I suppose if you can afford to ask the question, you can afford to answer it. How many flimsy excuses lead to extravagant purchases in this hobby? Thatā€™s rhetoricalā€“wouldnā€™t want to incriminate myself. :innocent:

Anyway, Iā€™m probably a few weeks out from my Verites (I just got on the list), so Iā€™ve got nothing but year-old listening impressions telling me that, yes, I absolutely need more super-pretty looking, super-pretty sounding ZMF headphones. Whenever they do come in Iā€™m going to want to play with the line, anyway. I can come back with impressions to retroactively justify why it was worth owning both VC and Auteur (hint: itā€™s the wood :smirk:).

3 Likes

MY REVIEW OF THE AUTEURS. ADDENDUM

Ok so in respose to my review @Zachary_Mehrbach said this

Now recently i just got a DarkVoice sitting in the quarentine zone (my dining room) And ive been thinking about what Zack said. So i finnaly pulled it out and unpacked it. I also had purchased a russian tube 6H8C i got off ebay for 10$. And WOW :exploding_head: these headphones really come alive! Soundstage is increased. Bass sounds fantastic. and despite the reputation of tube amps i found the detail has increased. These headphones now sound fantastic!I The vocals pop much more to the fore than the Arya. Has a more natural presentation. These headphone now compete with the Aryaā€™s.

So ive picked up this beautiful headphone, careful not to mar its charming surface, and have not put it back down. So what do i recommend now? The Arya or the Auteur? I recommend you get them both! WOOO! :partying_face:

3 Likes

This is making my LCD X and Eikon purchase in the future look like I need to purchase another ampā€¦ I think itā€™s time I go house shopping for the audio equipment.

3 Likes

Guys these headphones sound really great on the RNHP amp. Great imaging and dynamics. Just wow.

2 Likes

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

This should be good. :joy:

I made an innocent comment to the video and he almost flipped on me; I should have known with his reputation and high sensitivity to anything but 100% appraisal of his stuff.

The video is actually decent and no rants, but either you are part of his private religion or he is attacking you, if you demean yourself to think you are worthy to comment his video.

5 Likes

The TL;DW of that video is while the Auteur doesnā€™t excel at much, itā€™s a great all rounder that does everything well. Itā€™s has a natural and neutral sound that isnā€™t fatiguing at all.

What was that comment? LOL

I wrote this comment about his frequence of using his ZMF HPs:
ā€œAll my ZMF HPā€™s get usedā€ ā€¦well, the dust on the Aeolus and the shelf seems to prove you wrong.

He then replyed:
Here we go. The nitpick train has left the station. Please, ignore the fact I paid for these headphones and am trying to help others who are interested, and instead concentrate on the dust and conclude I donā€™t use the very costly headphones. I just donā€™t understand what compelled you to bother writing that comment in the first place. What does it matter to you if I use my gear every day or twice a month?

The dust was thick and all over the Aoelus, and I would never accept that on my HPs. And it was so obviusly in contradition to what he said; he is right that it has nothing to do with the video as such, but it made my focus switch. Details are important and if you make a YT video you could at least show some clean HPs and not dust covered; I canā€™t take reviewers like that serious and thus it impact the review, for me at least. OCD strikken as I am.

It looks like he doesnt care about his HPs and for me, +1800$ is a lot of money and I take good care of my things accordingly. I meanā€¦ if you want to make YT videos to people who appriciate high-end audio stuff, then dont show you treat the same things, like it doesnt matter to you what state they are in. Handle them with care and show that - THEN we can move on to talk about what you hear or dont hear.
Christā€¦ :imp:

4 Likes

I was kind of bothered by the title. It feels like click bait to me. He doesnā€™t really address this question until the very end and the rest of the review is not really related to the idea of ā€œis it a waste of moneyā€. I donā€™t know, maybe this is just how he titles his reviews.

1 Like

I canā€™t say, I am not really following him. I have seen a few of his videos, but they were not to my taste.

1 Like

He tends to gush quite a bit in his reviews in quite a many cases and he canā€™t take criticism whatsoever. Definitely not the best reviewer despite being fairly intricate in his descriptions. Title is definitely click bait to invite ire from those who would get set off from a guy claiming itā€™s a waste of money despite the video actually stating great things about the headphone.

1 Like

I really wish people would stop watching and sharing No Themeā€™s reviews. He is an awful reviewer and does not deserve any attention he gets. He acts like a spoiled child and he should not be seen as a legitimate reviewer.

2 Likes