🔷 ZMF Eikon

Lol, well hopefully you enjoy your eikons :+1:

Also while I may bring out larger estats I mainly use the 003mk2 with the d10 so more portable lol

I just have airtight boxes for my estats and it works well enough

Love, love, love the Eikons. And, yeah, the 003mk2 looks entirely more manageable. What amazing times that there are so many incredible personal audio devices available to play with. At the moment I’m eyeballing Empyreans. With the occasional sideways glance at RAAL SR1As, lol. I need to spend more time on the Xbox to curb spending on HiFi toys. :innocent:

P.S. Speaking of “airtight boxes,” measurements would seem to indicate that the Topping D90 + Monoprice 887 would fit just right in a Pelican 1400 case. :thinking:

1 Like

I will just say also consider the abyss diana v2, I much prefer it to the empyrean at the price point lol

Also dang I need to try a zmf closed back

Looks like the Eikon fit right in with the environment aesthetically!

I’ve had the Eikons now for a couple of weeks.

I’ve swapped amps a lot, but my primary listening was done as follows.
Gungnir Multibit A2/USB5 -> Liquid Platinum -> Eikon

Also tried the following amps
Tuba
ZDT Jr
Whammy
CTH

The liquid platinum is my favorite with the Eikons, but it’s the only one I can run balanced from the Gungnir, and that does make a difference. I have a Bifrost2 on the way, which doesn’t have the same balanced advantage, so I’m interesetd in comparing the amps further with that.
I’ll cover the Tuba separately, the short version is they sound good through any of the amps, SS tends to feel more weighty and rather counter intuitively the Tubes tend to lean things out a bit.
Initial impressions were of a somewhat jarring sound signiture, that went away as I acclimitized over the first couple of tracks, there is a fairly significant breakin over the first few hours of listening, I ended up letting them play overnight and coming back to them the following day.

The best discription I can come up with of the Eikon sound is that it’s very “full”, everything just sounds big, there is plenty of bass (though it’s controlled), good trebble extension without being harsh, and a relatively forwards mid range. Vocal timbre is a highight and they are surprisingly resolving given the overall signiture.
As to stagng, the Eikons simply do not sound like a closed back, there are none of the compromises I am used to hearing with closed backs, to the point that on several occasions on the first day listening I had to take them off and see how much leakage there was. The stage isn’t very wide, but there is good separation and its extremely coherent.

One thing perhaps more subtle worth noting is that the Eikons are just very engaging, I found whenever I swapped to the Eikons from another headphone, I was immediately impressed with them again and had no real desire to swap back.

I’m sure people want me to compare them to the Aeolus I received the following week, short version is the Aeolus are a good headphone and do some things better, but it’s hard for me to want to listen to them when I have the Eikons.
The headphones don’t sound all that similar so it’s hard to be definitive, but I find the timbre on the Aeolus to be very lacking, everything sounds flat by comparison.

7 Likes

I feel the same way about the Eikon vs. Aeolus. I think the Aeolus are a fine headphone, but I just prefer the Eikons.

4 Likes

After hearing the eikons I am impressed, a very solid biodyna for sure. I also liked the auteur as well, but I thought the eikon was more fun

4 Likes

Just received my pair earlier today. I have a couple hours of listen time using Ori lambskin pads out of my RNHP+ENOG2Pro and so far they are great and don’t really sound like a closed back at all stage wise.

At first they were a little in my face with the mids but after a little while my brain is already getting used to that. Speaking of mids, specifically vocals are really great on this headphone. One thing I’ve noticed is that the sub bass on these things dig deep really deep. It sounds very good.

This is a second hand pair so I’m not sure how much driver burn/change I can expect, but I’m excited to hear the changes my brain perceives over the next week. Also want to get a good session in on my Darkvoice later tonight.

5 Likes

Just some pictures I snapped real quick

9 Likes

Been listening to these through my Darkvoice all night and man do these cans sing. I like how they sound on the RNHP more with faster paced music, but with slower instrumental and vocal centric stuff the DV wins out in enjoyment. I’m actually excited to tube roll this weekend for the first time in months!

Speaking of tubes I’ve decided I’ll be getting a Haggerman Tuba in the next few months (I say this, but more likely a lot sooner lol). I’ve heard the Tuba works wonderfully with both the eikon and the clears plus my 6xx. Also heard good things about the pairing with a LCD-X which I want to buy at some point in the future. Seems like a no brainer. Will retire my DV as a Tube pre for my speakers more than likely.

7 Likes

Love mine. Eikon Ziricote LTD with magnesium chassis, much of Zach’s work is as good to look at as it is to hear.

8 Likes

So… is this the best low volume headphone? I think it was this or the Auteur.

So… debating if I want to get those Eikons with the magnesium chassis or not. I’m cool with my LCD X so weight alone isn’t an issue for me. Thoughts? That picture is beautiful.

An eikon without magnesium is 470g while an lcdx is 635g. If you’re fine with the lcdx then you certainly don’t need the magnesium chassis at all.

Correction: 550g for ziricote eikon. Still lighter even then.

Also, it should go without saying ZMF makes really comfortable headphones, so weight would be even less of an issue I think.

2 Likes

Thank you for that excellent answer. Now Just gotta wait for the 20th now. I told myself I need to be patient.

Good luck with being patient :wink:

1 Like

I have 4 ZMF headphones, and I only have the magnesium chassis on the Verites. I don’t have a weight issue with any of them. They sit well on your head, and the pads are all incredibly comfortable. The LCDs seem to focus the weight right on top of your head, but the ZMFs seem to distribute it much better

1 Like

I have sold my only closed HP (Beyer T5P) and is now waiting for my Eikon to be produced and shipped. So I have to listen to my wife, I can’t shut her out of my head with a closed HP atm :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I think the best description I’ve found for what these feel like is this (from Head-Fi reviews)…

It is even keeled across the board with one caveat which I will get to in a bit. The Eikon is about detail and clarity. All the instruments are there as they were intended to be heard. … The instruments are the focus more than the music. … You can at any moment decide which instrument to focus on and make that what you are listening to. No instrument takes center stage. You can decide what takes center stage. Fatigue with these headphones is nonexistent. It is not the HP for those that want color. It is not for those that want instruments to jump out at them.

This. This is what I want from cans.

@SM_Music, yours arrived yet?

2 Likes

Would this description be similar to the autuer? I’m stuck on which zmf to get. Aeolus, autuer, or eikon.