🔶 ZMF Headphones Atrium

Are you connecting it directly to the taps, or are you using a box to convert the load? I have a pair of Gjallarhorns I use for planars, and I connect them directly to the speaker taps. You have me curious now. ,:thinking:

The best Atrium experience I had was with Feliks Envy. It was just outstanding.

2 Likes

I happened to have a a schiit Rekkr sitting in a box. Wasn’t using it at all. Some incredible synergy here running the Mojo/Poly in Roon mode preamping through the Rekkr into the atriums. Yeah, this might definitely the best I’ve heard the Atriums sound. It’s crazy fun.

2 Likes

Now you are just tempting me to hook it up to my Gjallarhorn! :crazy_face:

Do it, it’s stupid good.

1 Like

:joy:, will do later today, but the question is whether to use 1 Gjallarhorn in stereo or two as mono blocks. :thinking:

1 Like

LOL, maybe start with one. Even the Rekkr is enough to drive them really loud barely past the half way point on the mojo.

1 Like

If I end up liking it, I will probably end up getting a nicer adapter cable than the cheap one I am using right now. There is a nice one on Etsy that I have been eyeing.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/953610078/adaptor-cable-speaker-banana-plugs-to?click_key=d07b01478a7c8904bca235f37383486b9a87aad6%3A953610078&click_sum=a953eeed&ref=user_profile&frs=1&sts=1

1 Like

That is the same seller I purchased my adapter cable from for my upcoming Vali 3.

1 Like

Nice, may pick one up myself.

1 Like

Stereo should be more than enough. Two mono blocks would be overkill.

1 Like

more for the channel separation than the power output. :wink:

Powering AO via a single Gjallarhorn at the moment, but I won’t give my opinion on it until the amp has had a little while to warm up. I am noticing some differences than powering it directly from the Mjolnir 3.

:thinking:

1 Like

Yes got it. Unless you have super ears , it would be extremely hard to pick out any differences.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be surprised if they sounded similar. Also Rekkr/Gallarjorn might be a good way to get that sound for less. I’m willing to bet the Mjolnir has a cleaner output tho.

1 Like

Well I was going to hold off on saying that, but yes Mjolnir 3 sounds cleaner. The speaker amp sounds a little less refined in the bass, and drums are missing a little bit of the initial strike of the sticks.

Room presence in live studio recordings seems to have a deeper soundstage, and maybe slightly wider as well. I need to do more listening, but tired from work. I listen to quite a few live from Abbey Road Studios recordings.

Vocals seemed natural and fully flushed out, but don’t all Schiit amps?! :joy:

The top end is okay, but I have to listen to some more tracks that have a lot more happening in the treble region before I come to a definitive conclusion.

Overall the presentation is about what I suspected compared to the MJ3.

1 Like

Directly to the taps. SGP1 is fantastic amp for headphones.

2 Likes

I may pick one up to replace my aging Emotiva Bass X. Looks like a really great amp in general.

2 Likes

If you want an interesting track to try with the speaker amp: Acoustipex by Unleash The Archers.

Like A Stone (Recorded Live At Queen Elizabeth Theater, Toronto):

• The Gjallarhorn does indeed sound slightly wider and deeper (not by much). There is increased pressure in the earcups for some reason (it gets annoying with some tracks)
  • The Mjolnir 3 sounds more refined, and guitar strumming sounds more natural with longer decay. MJ3 also showcases the vocals a bit more naturally as well (I know similar frequencies as some of the guitar notes). Overall the presentation seems more nimble yet precise overall.

It would have been odd if AO didn’t sound better on the MJ3 vs a $300 speaker amp though. Don’t get me wrong, some tracks did sound good on the Gjallarhorn, but not enough to make it my daily driver. I will try stereo for little bit more tomorrow, and then I will try mono blocks to see if it has more control over the AO drivers in that configuration. I am still doubtful that it will fair well against the MJ3 due to it putting out 1w per channel into a 300 ohm load.

Edit: I do realize that the cheap adapter cable that I am using right now might not be helping matters, but I will revisit that issue at a later date. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like