šŸ”¶ ZMF Headphones Atrium

The BE2 Suede pads are where I settled in. They have been my favorite for a while. I want to order a pair of the stock Caldera pads and try them. I have heard a lot of good with the stock Caldera pads with the Atriums.

With the pad rolling, I wonder how much the preference depends on the Amp and DAC you are using with it? Those influences I would think may lean you towards one pair of pads or another. :thinking:

Probably makes a small difference. Thereā€™s also personal HRTF, sensitivity to 2k in particular, music preferences.
I also noticed clamp force can play a pretty major factor as well. I originally had the clamp a bit loose, but eventually decided to follow Zachā€™s video to refit the headband to my head, then tighten the clamp force as much as possible, then loosen a bit until it was reasonably comfortable. Having it too loose ends up tilting everything under 3-4k downwards (pretty significantly) and cause 2k to stand out more. At leeast from what Iā€™ve tested on the EARS rig.

1 Like

I took my time trying the different padsā€¦I would listen to each set for a few weeks to become accustom with themā€¦I would start listening with my tube amp (Woo Audio WA6). I would leave the same tubes in and not change them outā€¦I would then move on to my solid state ampā€¦I was using my Asgard 3 and the Modius was my dacā€¦I have since bought a MJ3 and BF 2/64. I used a battery of songs that I know inside and outā€¦Ill be honest I think they only sounded better when I upgraded to the MJ3 and BF 2/64.

1 Like

Good thing I have a Mjolnir 3 and BF 2/64 as well. :wink:

I will give that method a try while pad rolling.

Edit: in case you are wondering, my AO is on my head when I took that picture. :laughing:

1 Like

You even got a Schiit wallpaper, lol.

1 Like

That is a pic of a Yggdrasil to stand in for my Yggdrasil MIB upgrade coming January 2025. :rofl:

1 Like

I also have a Soloist 3XP, and a 2nd Gjallarhorn currently not connected. I am going to use those two as well as my Vali 3 and Bifrost 2/64 in a 2nd setup. I will be getting a Valhalla 3 along with the Yggdrasil MIB to replace the Tube amp and DAC on my desk setup.

I saw that a while backā€¦I just really havenā€™t had time to post just due to life the last few monthsā€¦You have to admit they sound damn good with that set up.

1 Like

It is cool man, I had a several month period where I was not posting either due to an injury (earlier this year). It really is a good pairing, but I have been eyeing the Yggdrasil for quite some time, and decided to go for the upgrade in the new year.

Edit: The hype behind the Valhalla 3 also caught my interest as well. lol

1 Like

Yggiā€™d are niceā€¦I will be honest I didnā€™t plan on buying the MJ3 at firstā€¦I was one of the people who ordered the Violectric off of Drop that never shippedā€¦While I was waiting I kept reading more and more good about the MJ3ā€¦I finally got beyond pissed off with the situation with Drop and cancelled my orderā€¦What really pissed me off was the e-mails from Dropā€¦It was like the left hand didnā€™t know what the right hand was doingā€¦Once I cancelled my order with them, I was going to purchase a MJ3 brand newā€¦Then one came up for sale on Head-Fi. The gentleman I bought it off of was awesomeā€¦He answered all of my questions, and even showed me all of his invoices on itā€¦We discussed a price and I pulled the trigger on itā€¦It definitely was an awesome purchase and I had zero buyers remorse. It is definitely my end game ss ampā€¦I do want to get a pair of planarsā€¦I do have a few pairs in mind but I am rebuilding the warchest right nowā€¦lolā€¦We had to get a new furnace in the winter and our daughter got married in Mayā€¦Let me tell you weddings arenā€™t cheapā€¦

1 Like

Congrats on your daughterā€™s wedding, and my condolences to your wallet. :wink:

Edit: that sucks about the Drop issues, but at least you happened upon a great deal on a MJ3.

1 Like

Here are some measurements of the Caldera Stock and Caldera Thick. Thick is the slightly better option here IMO, a bit better comfort, a bit less bass emphasis (still bass emphasized). Similar bass levels to the Brainwav without being as overall v-shaped.

Celdera pads (stock, thick, and ultra perf)

Celdera stock and thick vs Uni Sheep

Celdera stock and thick vs uni hybrid (my preferred) and Aut hybrid

ā€¦and vs the brainwav XL

Vs BE2

2 Likes

Finally started pad rolling, just switched to the Uni suede perf pads. So far so good when powering the AO with my MJ3, but I have to try them with the Vali 3. A little bass dip, but nothing crazy. I tried these pads on one of my Planars and the bass and slam took a nose dive. :rofl:

1 Like

Which pads did you start with?

Uni lambskin perforated. I was enjoying them, but some genres of music sounded a little over inflated in the bass region. My opinion may change when I switch to the Yggdrasil MIB from the BF 2/64 as the MIB is supposed to be more balanced in presentation (vs the BF). I still havenā€™t tried them with the Vali 3 yet, but I will find out how it sounds later today.

I also have the Caldera perforated lambskin pads to try as well, but I will spend some time with these first. Next year I will buy a few more pads to try out as well.

It will also be interesting to find out which pad sounds best with the Valhalla 3 when it comes out later this year (according to Jasonā€™s response to my post). With all the amps, DACs, pads, tubes, and cable combinations I will have in 2025 it will be fun mixing and matching to get the most out of the AO. One such setup will be:
BF 2/64>Vali 3>Soloist 3xp (power amp mode) :wink:

1 Like

I have read that a lot of people really like the Caldera pads on them. I want to get a pair and try them.

My personal favorite have been the BE2 perforatedā€¦They add just enough to the low end and sub bass without muddying it upā€¦They also smooth out the top end a tadā€¦I have been using them now for going on a year or so.

1 Like

The Caldera Ultra Perf definitely reduce the bass the mostā€¦ conversely the regular Caldera pads give a pretty massive bass boost, I think due to the inner wall being solid (none-perf on the inside) on those ones. Adjusting the clamp force also makes a measurable difference in the bass response and is a good way to fine-tune it to your preferences. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will keep the BE2 perforated in mind when I order more pads.

2 Likes

Good to know, the Caldera pads I have might fair better when I get the Yggdrasil MIB. By the way, the Uni suede perf pads pair well with the Vali 3 more so than the MJ3. Not bad on the MJ3 either, but the Vali 3 is a better fit for the sound signature.

1 Like