Zu Audio Dirty Weekend

So the actual DAC chip is the one under the heatsink?

Yes, the bottom board is probably a DIR9001 based I2S converter, it’s the most commonly used adapter, and the boards are readily available from Chinese vendors.
You could add an optical input on the right of the board and fit a switch where the jumper is in the bottom middle to select between if you wanted.

The top board is the DAC, plus probably some part of the power regulation. The power regulation has to be there because that big cap is the only one large enough to be part of the rectifier. And I can see the DC being passed to the I2S board.

All the DAC needs is power and a set of references controlled by a bunch of caps which you can see at the bottom of the board.
One of the reasons the 1541 was so prevalent in DIY circles was how simple it is to make work.

2 Likes

Little bit of a PSA on the differences between the Zu DW Mk II and the Zu Omen Mk II

The attached comparison shows the difference as per Zu’s web site, however…

I received my DW speakers about a year ago now, while modding them a coupel of days ago What did you do today? I noticed a couple of things that aren’t listed on the comparison matrix. Namely things it it says the DW doesn’t have that the Omen Mk II does.

Zu Mission Mk II cable inside; It’s in the DW as well
Metal/Metal fasteners; It’s in the DW as well

Now, I don’t know if my pair is an anomaly but I suspect more than likely it’s business being business. It’s far cheaper for them to stock and keep track of one SKU than it is to keep stock of multiple versions for the same purpose.

2 Likes

Really worthwhile watch here.

3 Likes