šŸ”· FiiO BTR5

lol, nice collection you got going there tho. btr5 is considerably bigger

1 Like

Yeah. I am excited to start listening. Bigger is generally better in audio. This doesnt even include my collection of blutooth cables and adapters. I think I might be a fancy hoarder.

2 Likes

I like the comparison photo, can you label them for the uninformed (me)?

Top to bottom -

BTR1
BRT3
ES100
BTR5

1 Like

Shanling UP2 and Shanling UP4 is good also

I just received my BTR5 today. I was using an xduoo xd-05 plus portable and as a desktop replacement before I received my thx 789. Biggest difference is the BTR5 is so CLEAN. My biggest issue with the xduoo was that it was definitely powerful but even when using aux in with the d50s it didnā€™t sound very clean, especially at higher volumes. But wow does the BTR5 sound clean. Honestly plenty of power even when pushing my NDH 20. At higher volumes I can clearly tell the difference between the BTR5 and my d50s+789, but honestly you should for the price and spec difference. Blon 03 sounds great as well. Seems like this is the affordable dap to beat for sensitive iems or headphones but can still push the harder stuff enjoyably. So CLEAN

4 Likes

I love how the one dudes video is like ā€œyeah this thing probably does hi res audio nice but seriously, Epsteinā€ then he goes back to ā€œyeah it pairs nice and has a nice clip and Iā€™d balanced but, Epstein. Iā€™ll be back for my review after I watch this Epstein videoā€¦ watch Epstein, you sheep!ā€ Haha.

1 Like

I was looking into getting a desk set up and just got my first pair of iemā€™s and was wondering if it would be worthwhile getting the BTR5 to suit both my iemā€™s for travel and my DT770 80ohm for in the house aswell as possibly pairing with powered speakers. I have seen other portable options being suggested for beginners but am put off by the extra bulk this would take up. It was only when I seen Zā€™s review that i even contemplated bluetooth but donā€™t recall mention of connecting to speakers.

1 Like

You would most likely be fine with the 250 ohm actually, it should work just fine

2 Likes

Have you tried the brt5 with the aeon 2 closed?

Itā€™s sitting at home lol, when I get home I can check

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for quick reply

It would be a great option for the 770 and power hungry IEMs. It does VERY well with my Tin P1 and Final E5000. The ES100 struggles a little with the P1. I love my BTR5 more than most of my equipment. Iā€™m struggling with why I would keep my Onkyo DAP or assortment of portable amps or any of the other bluetooth devices. At the end of the day, I dont get rid of audio equipment and repurpose them for other reasons. I digressā€¦

Iā€™d say get the BTR5. As for powered speakers, maybe. Depends on what speakers. How frequently you swap them, etc. Seems like there are easier options.

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless/dp/B01KO1JNCA/ref=asc_df_B01KO1JNCA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242008838545&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14764077074395603515&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014462&hvtargid=pla-494133874930&psc=1

This has bluetooth 5.0 and SPDIF in /out. If you pair it with a DAC, or if your powered speakers have an optical input, that may be an easier and cheap option. I use it with my BTR1 and a set of Monoprice Retros to listen to dialogue while on the bike or rower. Works well.

At ~$150, the BTR5 is awesome.

4 Likes

If you have a Dragonfly Black /Red / Cobolt, let me know how the BTR5 compares when connected via USB.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

The BTR5 has been pre-ordered. Had to use advanced MP3 players who wont have stock until 17/01 as no listing on amazon UK which is odd (well apart from one i seen for Ā£140 but you know that way that it gives you alarm bells before you even click the listing lol). Thought about the US amazon but they wont have stock until 21/01 or 27/01 I forget which.

I had looked into bluetooth as an option in the house but its not really required currently. Will be getting speakers so i can do away with my sound bar and this brings my record player back into the mix. Not got much love as not a fan of the sound through the crappy bar.

I honestly cannot wait to start my proper desktop set up, so many possibilities even in the budget space. Most likely hear from me again soon lol

3 Likes

Iā€™m definitely curious as to how well the BTR5 performs in wired mode compared to the DragonFly Red and Cobalt. Iā€™m primarily interested in how the BTR5 pairs with the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed as the DFR/DFC cause massive distortion and clipping at high volumes.

2 Likes

Will try with the Aeon 2 closed balanced when I get home in a few days :+1:

Sometimes it is easy to forget how spoiled we are in America (US). I do hope you love it. I have many FiiO products and all of them are holding up.

This can be a really fun hobby, but ever changing. My house was set up a year ago with Volumio. But, they decided to change their whole system. Looked into Rune, but havenā€™t taken the plunge. Amazon Music makes it easy, but doesnt have the devices I need / want. Keep us up to date on how your Blutooth speaker setup works. There is an endgame setup thread on Hifi Guides you should check out. I always thought I had a great setup until I saw what others are using. Something to strive for.

Side note:
I actually just upgraded the firmware on my BTR3 which enables equalizer mode for those who dont want to spend the money on the BTR5.

2 Likes

BTR5 just arrived, 2 days before it was even supposed to be in stock. I got to say I wasnā€™t expecting the sound difference from pc/phone to DAC/amp. Just makes everything better. That little bit wider soundstage in my zs10 pros and more warmth to the low end on my dt 770s, well what I think are improvements anyway.

Is there a thread to post pics of your desk etc. Got my speakers aswell and itā€™s looking pretty clean although lacking desktop equipment which I already have started a wish list for lol

1 Like

Nice, glad you enjoy it :+1:

1 Like