560s vs dt880 in term of comfort?

Hi there,

I just purchased hd560s and I love everything about this headphone except the comfort since the weird bump on the driver side keeps touching my ears. Tried to ignore it but it makes me uncomfortable in long run.

I heard that dt880 have similar sound signature but more comfortable. Is this true?
I don’t want the sound to be much different from hd560s especially the imaging and separation since I will be using them for music production.

Hope there’s someone who own both so I can have some perspective.

Cheers!

1 Like

Beyer is known for being very comfortable…so is Focal.

The DT880 is nothing like the HD560s though, nothing at all. The HD560s is a warm / fun headphone that is using the Harman target as it’s tuning guide. The DT880 is a treble monster, which comes with it’s own

can you take a picture of the HD560s and show the bit that’s causing the discomfort?

to help with suggestions, some questions.

• what kind of music do you like?
  • do you have a sound signature preference?
  • what hardware do you have (DAC? Amp?)
  • what’s your budget for the new headphone?

I heard that too but if it way more comfy than 560s, maybe it’s worth a try… Not quiet sure tho since I love the sound of my 560s

You can see that this headphone has this weird bump on the cup inside. I believe that what makes it uncomfortable for me.

1. Mostly instrumental & orchestral stuff
  2. Neutral since I’m using it for music production. Coming from m40x here
  3. Using my audio interface focusrite 2i2
  4. Under $500

Also interested in Sundara but not sure about the comfort and QC too.
Basically want a neutral headphone that comfortable to wear all day that have good soundstage + imaging.

I’d say hd600, but the soundstage and imaging will be worse, they’re are more detailed, comfortable and have better frequency response tho.

I’d say hd600, but the soundstage and imaging will be worse, they’re are more detailed, comfortable and have better frequency response tho.

I understand but I think I’ll pass with h6x0 series since I will lose the soundstage that I really love on the 560s

I don’t have the dt880 but I do have a detachable cable modded pair of the dt990 pros and they are the most comfortable headphones. So for comfort wise I honestly love them.

DT880 will overall have brighter tuning. There’s an impedance question to answer as well, with three different options available - and some online preference towards the higher impedance cans - which can become a bit difficult to power, the drivers are very inefficient as well.

Beyers have light-weight, good build, light and tunable clamp. The ear openings are round and not huge, but if you don’t have mega ears - I find them very comfortable.

I think using the Focusrite alone may hamstring the ability to power things that are more challenging than the efficient 120 ohm Senn drivers.

I think the sound signature of Sundara is more universally liked than DT880, less peaky treble. It’s an excellent all-arounder, but deserves some amplification. It’s a bit heavier, limited adjustability on the head and also not huge ear openings. It feels very solid, and I think that QC issues there are overstated, in my experience. Echo’d based on dated Hifiman reputation. Even my 5xx I was nervous about at first touch have had zero problems.

I think the sound signature of Sundara is more universally liked than DT880, less peaky treble. It’s an excellent all-arounder, but deserves some amplification. It’s a bit heavier, limited adjustability on the head and also not huge ear openings. It feels very solid, and I think that QC issues there are overstated, in my experience. Echo’d based on dated Hifiman reputation. Even my 5xx I was nervous about at first touch have had zero problems.

I personally really curious too about Sundara soundwise especially about the soundstage, people said that it feels like listening to live orchestra.
Even if the QC is good, I still have problem with the earpads since I read that it more like on ear rather than over ear headphone. That’s what holding me from purchasing Sundara since I basically wear headphone basically all day doing production.

Also, if 880 is such a downgrade from 560s, I also considering the dt1990.

Honestly It’s gonna be hard to find a real option that checks all boxes you want, I have the he400i 2020 and those do, but I have them with aftermarket pads and they’re discontinued, the 400se are the replacement but I can’t vouch as much for them, stock hifiman pads are tiny and uncomfortable imo (that includes sundara), also they’re heavy, cause planar.

The last options I can think of are the 5xx, those do look more comfortable but I’m not sure about the sound, elex if you can just spend more and get the actual direct upgrade from the 560s…

I’d still push for the 600 tho, particularly for mixing, those are actually neutral imo, the 560’s are harsh, and the 880 even more…

I had the same problem with that bump, I put the round brainwavz XL suede pads and the comfort got waaaay better, changes in sound include bigger soundstage, a little more bass and a little less treble, I really liked the changes in sound as I think it became a soundstage monster after that.

Note that the hinges can damage the bw pads a little by cutting them, but if you only plan to use the pads for this headphones then its no problem at all, also the regular oval brainwavz also fit the hd560s but I would recommend the XL ones for comfort and soundstage.

Don’t get me wrong, I prefer the DT880 overall and own them - I just think in terms of fitting your application, they may present some challenges.

I think calling Sundara on-ear is way overstating the fit, I’d never seen that and would not cosign that. Soundstage is good maybe not insane — they’re fast, lively and very “open” feeling with very good instrument separation - I agree they’re good for orchestral.

The 5xx is mentioned. The fit is going to be significantly different. Big ear openings, but extremely light clamp force that is opposite of Sennheiser. The Sundara is a better technical performer.

I can’t weigh in on the DT1990. Anytime Beyers are discussed, they’re going to polarize and some people are a lot more treble sensitive than I.

Do you EQ?

what an odd lump of foam. it will affect the sound profile…but is there any easy way to remove the entire foam cover with the lump on it, without damaging it if you wish to put it back?

Don’t get me wrong, I prefer the DT880 overall and own them - I just think in terms of fitting your application, they may present some challenges.

I see! Thank you so much for your input.

think calling Sundara on-ear is way overstating the fit, I’d never seen that and would not cosign that. Soundstage is good maybe not insane — they’re fast, lively and very “open” feeling with very good instrument separation - I agree they’re good for orchestral.

Do you also have Sundara? If you do, could you wear it all day in comparison of beyer?

Edit: I don’t use EQ for my headphone. I prefer to hear the sound of it as it is

Thanks for the recommendation!
I’m quiet afraid with the sound changes tho, but might try this as last resort

buy used, save a lot!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience!
I’ll also look for more info about 5xx for now.

the 560’s are harsh, and the 880 even more…

Personally, 560s isn’t harsh for me at all so I thought dt880 wouldn’t be a problem but reading some comment here makes me wonder again. Is it really worth the trade for comfort…

Agreed!!!

I love the DT 880 stock comfort it’s so good

I’d prefer to wear 880 at length for comfort.
Sundara is firmer clamp and heavier. Can wear for hours, but I’m not very picky about fit on over-ears.

HD560S is warm/fun? I recommend that you go see a doctor soon :roll_eyes: Seriously though, flat bass, no bass shelf, flat mids, slightly elevated treble and you call that warm?
I wonder how you will describe the Audioquest Nighthawk

1 Like

That weird bump is used to improve the soundstage