đŸ”¶ 7HZ Timeless Planar

At what currents are we using our headphones, and at what current level would capacitance matter you think?

Curious to learn more about this. Could you explain to me how does capacitance add corrosion resistance?

Yep its good to be skeptic, saves money :). Maybe youll run into something with very apparent difference that will jump in your face in the future.
Btw havent actually measured to see if there is some measurable difference between them, might do that for science in the next few days. Though im not sure if it can be done perfectly, as with different insertion depth of the iem in the rig, there will be small changes and it would be hard to tell is it because of the cable or because of the insertion. And would be pretty hard to have it 100% exact in 2 measuring runs if you take out the iem to change cable.

They already have what to shout from the rooftops
 Silver makes it brighter, copper makes it fuller/more wight, so no need to further confuse people with technical stuff. They made it simple to “understand” and corelated color of the metal with the color of the resulting sound :). Which ofcourse i dont subscribe to, as same cable will have different effect with different iems depending on driver configuration and their characteristics.

Though its bit strange that you never heard any difference between any cable/iem combination, what i figured from your comment, correct me if im wrong.
Maybe you just havent tried enough combinations?
I have(burried somewhere) one diy cable that oh soo clearly tames the treble that its impossible not to hear a difference. Was testing it with some lower end chifi at the time.

Oh and Merry Cristmass to everyone that celebrates it on the 25th :slight_smile: . Wish you nice holidays.

1 Like

At higher levels that I would allow wires inserted into my ear canals to be. My Electrical Engineering coursework was 30 years ago, and I have spent most of my career writing software, so I don’t pretend to be an expert on the details of this, but I am not new either.

Other way around, it is easy to make a low capacitance cable, but coatings are the standard solution to solve for cable oxidation, and the materials used for the coatings typically add capacitance.

This is still more a community thing that a headphone marketing thing. I should qualify that, I have no ability to read any of the Japanese or Chinese market, so I have idea what claims they make there.

In the west, claiming these things seems like a good way to get into legal trouble, because they would never be able to back it up, because my first point is still true. If it sounds different, it will chart differently, show me the chart.

I suppose your point is backed up by the fact that consumers do dumb things, and Monster Cables still exist.

3 Likes

Have you tried pink or white noise? I actually did it yesterday for the first time and learned it’s the most reliable way. There’s definitely a spike at around 7k on my set (a pink/white noise is supposed to sound more or less even with no noticable spikes as I learned and on timeless, with no EQ it sounds like wind + someone is frying something or like rapids + rain). Initially I did -7db at 7k Q7 but after playing around a little and considering a since sweep is quite loud from 6.2-7.2k (I use this at 10% volume Online Tone Generator - generate pure tones of any frequency) I settled on 7k -6dB Q3 (but I use EQ so without it you need like -3 for it to level out sufficiently in a pink noise test).

Now I just have to decide if I’m willing to accept this as a solution or send it back for testing and repair (HiFiGo told me that if I really want it, it can be done) which is really unlikely because it will likely take ages, not guaranteed to be fixed and it’s also a winner in so many other ways, fit comfort and appearance for one are all excellent.

And considering I’ve been able to reproduce it with a more objective measurement such as pink/white noise as well as record it with a shitty mic where it’s also audible I either have a bad unit, or it’s present on all but not as bad or people that can’t hear it aren’t sensitive to that or have hearing loss or they’re in denial.

2 Likes

It’s probably an ear canal thing, that’s the same area where some have trouble with ej07m iirc (they resort to using tanchjim filters)

1 Like

I just wish that if it was indeed that, there were at least a few others who hear it, preferably in a different spot but not by much (6-8k). The only thing that’s as bad or worse is Sony MDR-EX15AP but that’s 20 euros.

1 Like

Delivery memes are over. almost 3 months later, here are my first impressions on timeless:

11 Likes

“You have an amp that can push it”
What is your favourite source ( dac,amp) for the Timeless ?

I meant it as it is eficient, but still a planar. It feeds on power.

Desktop I’m enjoying hibrid tubes (Mt-602). Portable either xduoo xd-05 balanced or topping nx7,depending how clinical you like the source to be.

2 Likes

The nx7 is very strong, but i find the Timeless bass-weak and the nx7 don’t have Xbass button like the Ifi hip dac2 what I’m looking at lately.I can’t decide which one to choose, Extra bass or nuclear power :roll_eyes::thinking:
What do you think ?

Between those I would personally have to go with the xDuoo, though that’s based off my personal situation. The whole no-headphone jack nonsense kinda sucks. Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying my S21
 But I really miss having the headphone jack. Bluetooth or a DAC/Amp is kind of a must for me when it comes to being on the go.

My understanding, planars have totally flat impedance curves and so different resistance in the cable can only affect volume, not the frequency response. Affecting FR is a theoretical possibility with dynamic drivers or BAs (albeit rarely significant enough to make a difference with typical headphone cable lengths) but with planars even adding a cable with very high resistance will only reduce volume, it won’t affect FR.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Would the Timeless be a good choice for someone who loved the ZS10 Pro? I’ve already ordered it so its a moot point, but I’m confused as I’ve read the timeless described as warm and yet also sometimes too harsh or a little too present on the high end for some, or even just outright bright. The latter is what I am hoping for, as I enjoy how much detail and emphasis there is in the higher ranges compared to my BL-03s (even if they hurt my ears; its a love hate relationship). I like the blons more for causal listening, but for the engaging EDM sessions that make up most of my listening, they just can’t compare.

I feel like the Pros are a bit of an odd pair to try and base an upgrade on, because the harshness and chifi tuning is something you’d probably want to have tamed out of higher priced hardware. I know exactly what I’d get if I like the blons, or the arias, or the tin 2s. They all have clear higher priced analogues with similar tunings. I think I did about as well with my knowledge as I could have with this pick, and I’ve heard that the timeless (and planar in general) does amazingly well with electronic music which inspires confidence.

I canceled an order for the Dusks as soon as I found these, and I’m confident that’s a massive step in the right direction for me at least.

3 Likes

Well, gryphon has both
 For a simple 600 usd :joy:

If you don’t need bluetooth, you can check xd-05 (plus) since it does have bass button, if I remember right. Balanced version does not. Hip-dac is fine for Timeless but might not be for other sources, as its meant to be used with hps, and iems might hiss (V1 was like that).

You’re right in all you’ve said. You will be fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have both. There is some superficial similarity in that both are V-shaped but the Timeless is much more coherent. The Timeless has plenty of treble, it’s sparkly there but also manages to much less harsh than the ZS10 Pro, where the treble is extremely wonky, it’s full of peaks and dips. Timeless timbre is much better. Bass is extremely well extended but better controlled and less boomy, less overpowering the mids.

I have the Dusks as well, for me personally I think it’s better overall than the Timeless. It’s more neutral, the Timeless is more coloured, with more of a bass and treble emphasis. It’s not harsh though, and I think this may be a bit of a planar thing, I find the Ananda bright and sparkly in a somewhat similar way- but never harsh.

If you are specifically looking for something that is a bit V or U shaped though, Timeless is closer to that than the Dusk. Timeless does do electronic music very well.

They are also smaller and lighter and fit will be way better for most people. The Timeless is absolutely competing at the Blessing/Dusk sort of level, it is well above the likes of the Starfield. Good choice I think.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I’ll really just need to wait and see if it scratches the same itch. I definitely want a V/U shaped signature, but I’ve had plenty of V shaped buds that never gave me the same experience. So theres something else there that I just don’t have the experience to pinpoint. Sounds like its hard for me to go wrong with these at any rate.

I’ve just stumbled on the FD5s, these really look like the ZS10 analogues I was looking for. Harsh chifi V shaped sound done well, haha. Decisions, decisions.

1 Like

Thanks for the reassurance nymz! While we’re at it, is it worth picking up a qudelix 5k for the timeless over my current iPhone dongle? I was kinda set on sticking with my current set up, but your review has me on the fence again

Yes. At least a qudelix5k. Im getting mine this week (I hope) and I’ll folks know. Apple dongle isnt enough, imo.

3 Likes

If you are interested in the FD5, and your interest in V shape is mostly about the bass, Crinacle has a forthcoming retuning of the FH3, the Eclipse, which may also be of interest to you. More bass, and the treble is reigned in a bit. Cheaper than the FD5 too, it’s $149.

you should consider the KZ DQ6.

2 Likes