šŸ”¶ 7HZ Timeless Planar

One thing I was slightly concerned about before getting the Timeless was the reports of them being very analytical. I have had one set of audio gear that was overly analytical and killed some of the enjoyment of music for me, and they were a pair of Genelec monitors. Highly recommended for music production or desk listening of well recorded musicā€¦

ā€¦but Iā€™m a music nerd first and foremost, and 80-90% of my library is comprised of poorly recorded moments of inspiration caught by boomboxes, practice room four tracks, studio personnel who had no idea what was going on, albums done in couple takes by groups of people heavily inebriated, you catch the drift

While I test new gear with better recorded music - hip hop, techno, heavy metal, soul, jazz, hyper pop (Sophie is one that can be tiring to listen to since I wanna turn it up to hear all the bass but there are a lot of treble things going on including her voice), I need to balance it out and listen to stuff that represents the poorly recorded majority of my library.

Zero issues there. I am fully enjoying the moment listening to stuff like old hardcore / punk. The slightly elevated bass guitar here (what I call ā€˜speed bassā€™ and I donā€™t mean the velocity of it) hits like it should and I do not for a moment feel like switching to Steely Dan (no slight on Steely Dan)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAeqP9hNCU

3 Likes

I looked around a bit and found this an interesting frequency response measurement example about the influence of impedance. Not planars but very clear nonetheless:

https://tgx78.squig.link/?share=Audiosense_DT600,Audiosense_DT600_30,Audiosense_DT600_80

drftr

1 Like

My timeless replacement set arrived. Interesting observation: Either these are different or my brain adaptation to the shouty, screechy crazy has continued in their absence. No issue at all on first listen.

I couldnā€™t help but put them in and use a new linsoul euphrosyne cable I also got. Blue.

I missed these. Need to remind myself to order a backup set.

1 Like

I feel like I am going bat crap crazy. But these donā€™t sound quite the same as my previous set. Gonna process and compare them to dusk and teas. Crazy. Bat. Crap.

1 Like

And for no good reason at all:

2 Likes

You just confirmed my suspicion that their QC might not be that good and itā€™s the reason why itā€™s causing all this controversy regarding this set.
The one with good QC have a good soundstage while others do not. Itā€™s also clearly visible on Crinacleā€™s graph.

3 Likes

Take a listen to The Beatles 1 album, youll know for sure if its still there or not. If that doesnt sound harsh, then they did some change.

1 Like

As a rule, I donā€™t Beatles on headphones or IEMs. I canā€™t deal with the one sided instruments. I did find some stuff stereo remixed. Might look for that.

My test tracks for this feel much more sane. It certainly hasnā€™t gone to a low energy IEM, but metallica didnā€™t try to burn my ears.

And there are some other differences as well. Gonna wait until I can re-compare them to dusk, teas and hopefully a repaired Zen.

Yeah, thatā€™s the thing that got my attention. Thriller happened to come on and the footsteps walked around behind me. I pulled the IEM out of my ear to check that I wasnā€™t on the teas. And I started going through my test tracks and didnā€™t find any of the offensive stuff offensive.

I need to compare again. Which is good cause that is what I am doing for the next few days in preparation for a 3 way between dusk teas and timeless.

2 Likes

Suggested that album as something that sounds as harsh as can be, if you dont notice it there then you know theres been a major change.
Btw, curious hows the channel balance? Did you have any imbalance on your old set, and hows the new one in that regard?
As i do get some swings, by testing with this generator. Most notable starting at around 3KHz.

Hows everyone elseā€™s channel balance?

1 Like

I am sensitive to channel imbalance. Wasnā€™t an issue.

Beatles are so bad that if I hear the instrument channel issue it overrides everything else. I will try it as I love that album. I even own it.

2 Likes

I am able to flip through and listen to 10-15 seconds of each song during a break. 2015 version with a lot of stereo re-mastered and mono tracks.

Itā€™s bright, but this is nothing like the cacophony of pain that metallica was. I would say itā€™s even typical beatles bright when you hear them on something decent. Vocals have an edge to them. But if itā€™s not beatles if they donā€™t? (paperback writer, is a good example).

Itā€™s honestly fantastic. Remixed Beatles man. Remixed Beatles. Thatā€™s the stuff.

This isnā€™t crossing the line for me. Intensity is good, killing my ears is bad. This stays on the intense but acceptable side of the equation. Will compare this specifically to teas and dusk so I can put it in context when I start comparing.

1 Like

Repeat this 10 times in front of the mirror and youā€™re cured my son:

ā€œBurn in of IEMs does not exist!ā€

:rofl:

drftr

This definitely canā€™t be burn in. Brand new unit with 2 hours of time on them. :slight_smile:

Yeah I meant to refer to the brain burn in you mentioned earlier on, but my mis typing I blew up my own joke. Can only happen to meā€¦ :wink:

On my way to the mirror now to repeat 10 times:

ā€œNo conversation before coffee!ā€

drftr

1 Like

The problem with brain burn in here is I have been listening to other things for a while. and some of the changes are soundstage. I do think it is different.

Anywho, itā€™s great. And the biggest concern here is QC more than anything else.

Yeah, it might be the QC issue thatā€™s been making channel imbalance and huge impact on SS/imaging. Was skeptic between this or Tea on holiday sales, guess Iā€™m crossing this one out atm.

Working on a comparison of them. QC is obviously a concern, but if you buy them on amazon and get one you donā€™t like, send it back.

Sadly amazon isnā€™t an option at my place :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It gives me a funny feeling when spending $500+ sums on Chinese products to be honest. I think for the 7Hz price level the quality is possibly unprecedented, and we have to understand that price is totally incredible because of killing competition. How many new ones come out in the $100-$300 range this year? 100? 150?

Equally important is that with rave reviews on and ditto forum posts we create so much of a hype that 7Hz gets their production planning oversubscribed by maybe 500%-1,000%. The products are produced by manufacturers that have their production lines planned by other companies as well so will try to cut corners - IF thereā€™s enough materials that is. And then we also want top notch quality control on top of that, and can I have it within 1 week please? Seriously, this is completely impossible if youā€™re asking me.

drftr

5 Likes