šŸ”¶ 7HZ Timeless Planar

Well, that suck. Rock and a hard place.

1 Like

Mine sounds a bit like the crin graph, slight dip on left channel around 2500 and a larger one starting around 10,500. Not sure if its something Iā€™d notice with music. Might try eq at some point to test the difference

1 Like

I knew i dont like you for some reason. You can return stuff at will and get a perfect sample , thatā€™s why. :stuck_out_tongue: :).
I envy you, it would take 2 months round trip if i go the return route, and theyre still my favorites so pretty hard to part ways with them for so long. And then still no guarantee that the new one will be perfect.
Besides the imbalance, what i thought was a bit wider hole on one iem mmcx socket thats giving me a wiggle, turned out it was a spinning socket|(i assume you had the same issue with the piece that stopped working) since the wiggle changed range of motion angle when the cable connector was spun. Could have ripped the wires after short time with such issue, but luckily i caught it in time and fixed with a toothpick and some super glue on the edges of the connector. You know the sayingā€¦ When in doubt, Super Glue. And after that wiggle was gone.

Not quite, since mine came from the first batch i think, shipped begining of September. Way before the real hype started. So looks like they entered the game with fuck all attitude.
Still in love with the set, but will make me think 10 times before purchasing another 7Hz product.
Satisfying demand is no excuse to cut corners, as this was the perfect opportunity to make a name for themselves. Which they missed in my book, since it doesnt look like QC problems are anecdotal, we witnessed them here in real time.
I can imagine what a shitshow will 11.11 be if they continue trying to keep up with demand that the sale will bring in same manner.
Take your time and do everyone good, much better strategy for the long run. If iems are good(which they are), demand will still be there even when you make them at your own pace.
If KZ from which i have purchased tens of iems for resale($15-50 range) didnt have issues like this(maybe i was lucky), i think its more than reasonable to expect no issues from a $200 set.
Again, i love the Timeless, but oooh that bitter taste :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Yeah, I do buy on amazon for a reason. In this case, them being defective made it much easier to get a new set. But I do usually buy from places with good return policies. I am lucky/privileged enough to do that most of the time.

Mine wouldnā€™t make a connection at some rotations of the MMCX from day one. I couldnā€™t find anything obviously wrong with the connector on the outside. But it would be silly if it were that easy to correct.

One thing to think about: Right now the hype train on these is super active. The voices are loud and everyone who gets them is reporting in. This will increase the visibility of issues with QC that will cut through the noise. Without knowing how many they are selling and a rough idea of how many have problems, we really have no clue if there is an actual QC issue here or not.

I am all for them slowing it down and doing it right. This set is worth the wait. And frankly, would be worth a price increase if judging by other sets in my possession.

As example both of us which are at opposite sides of the world, purchased from different places and didnt just pop in the thread to complain, but were here through the whole process, and we both had mmcx issues, Imbalance that mine has and also ones crin measuredā€¦ idk, doesnt leave much space for doubt for me that its abnormal ammount. Not that big of a sample size, but all things considered, pretty symptomatic imo.
And that imbalance issue is something that not a lot will catch, so ammount of complaints wont reflect the real situation there.
Though they did say that they will change the factory that makes their housings, so maybe that will be the end of it. At least with the mmcx connectors, it also might solve imbalance if it was caused by improperly mounted magnets/membrane/tuning mesh.

1 Like

I think itā€™s a bit mixed. Every headphone I have seen has at least some channel imbalance.

What matters is the percent of units effected. Keeping in mind that negative voices on that type of thing are much more common than positive voices. An effected user rate of even 2 or 3% can sound like a shockwave of problems even when that % might be basically normal for this type of product. (Just making up numbers)

What sets the good companies apart is how they deal with it. Now, I didnā€™t have to deal with that. Mine went back to amazon and I ordered a new one that could get here sooner. But, I will say, getting support on it was looking like it would not have been easy. :frowning:

I may order a backup unit (or 2) from drop. I like this thing that much. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Im very well aware of this, i thought the way i explained it would make it clear that thats not the case in this situation. We have 2 out of 2 in our case. Refering to this sentence of mine.

This really minimizes chances of it being just a coincidence.

For the sake of future buyers, i do hope it was a problem with just the first batch.

No problems with my set so far 40hrs in, only changed the cable once for a picā€¦soundstage on pointā€¦

:+1:

1 Like

If youre gonna try, then cut the channel thats louder, rather than increasing the quieter one.For me -6.5db at 10Khz with Q5.0 is what did it, maybe some more fiddling could give even better results. I could hear depth with some songs before, but now thres noticeable increase in depth. The negative is that i cant unhear it now, and know what could have beenā€¦ So do this at your own risk :slight_smile:

This video that someone posted on Head-fi was what made me try and do it the way i did(cutting instead of boosting). Subject covered in the video is pretty huge thing in general, and seems it has merit.

1 Like

Youā€™ll see on his Head-Fi thread that thereā€™s easy examples to debunk this. However, it may be a start.

drftr

1 Like

It makes a difference with the timeless. Boosting the quieter channel keeps the depth same, but cutting the louder one so that difference between pina gain and that dip becomes larger, does increase depth perception.
Best to describe it would be to imagine theres three perceivable channels left/center/right, and with the imbalance the center channel is wider, and when bringing down the 10KHz to be more or less equall in both channels(going by ear) the center narrows down and increases depth. Probably closest efect in perception would be as if you applied some crosfeed.

Btw curious to check that thread you mentioned, can you share a link?

drftr

1 Like

I just saw this on Discord channel and with all these apparent QC issues, you might find this useful

3 Likes

Oh yeah, on Super Review discord server.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, my Timeless is behind the counter at FedEx ready for pickup. Iā€™ve been lurking reading nearly every post on this thread for weeks now, so I figured now might be a good time to join. Iā€™ve really been enjoying the discussion here. Had to order the Timeless out of burning curiousity like many of you. Iā€™m hoping for a good set with no issues, weā€™ll see.

7 Likes

My set is gonna arrive tomorrow. Iā€™m gonna post here as soon as possible.

4 Likes

Ok. I put these on with the stock tips. Yuck. I was disappointed. Then, I put them on with some Spinfit Cp100. Absolutely mesmerizing. These are unbelievably good. I really didnā€™t think I needed another set of iems. I actually tried to cancel when the seller kept moving the date back, but he wouldnā€™t let me. Now Iā€™m so glad Iā€™m stuck with these. Unreal

15 Likes

New review

5 Likes

Thanks for the review and beautiful pics. True beauties, hidden in planar sightā€¦ :wink:

drftr

2 Likes

youā€™re welcome, itā€™s nothing at all :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: