šŸ”¶ 7HZ Timeless Planar

Tried replacing the tips again. It seems to me that SpinFits are unnaturally bright. Normal soft tips are fine. Currently I decided to use Tin T2 original foams, they fit perfectly. Absolute bliss for my ears and the sound gets softer. Especially the highs.

1 Like

Assuming I would want to jump on the hype trainā€¦ should I wait for 11.11?

2 Likes

I would not wait 2 minutes to buy this IEM. But that is me. I bought it. Twice.

2 Likes

Spinfits are bright? Interesting. They seem to tone that back for me. What size are you using?

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using spinfit cp145-S. Small size. Silicon tips sound brighter to my ears then foam tips. This applies even more to SpinFit tips then regular silicon tips.

1 Like

Seeing all the praise in this thread and from reviewers has me really impatient for my Timeless order. Ordered 10 days ago from HiFiGo and it hasnā€™t shipped yet :confused:

1 Like

Ah, yeah compared to foam. That makes sense. I donā€™t use foam, I find it frustrating.

1 Like

Spinfits CP145 come across as V-shape sound with vocal forwardness, at least to my ears. I use it when I want midbass, for example. I also like itā€™s vocal part. They are one of my favourite, but they reduce stage (itā€™s very obvious on EJ07m for example).

2 Likes

First time posting here. Great community!

Iā€™ve ordered Moondrop KATO first, but Shenzenaudio has no stock till the end of this month, so Iā€™ve changed my order and picked the Timeless. Iā€™m glad I didā€¦ many great reviews so far, and those who had bad impressions about soundstage so far seems that are because of channel imbalance or something due to bad QC. I hope that my unit arrives without issues. Iā€™ve also bought a Shanling UA1 Pro to use the Timeless on the go, I hope that both pair well.

Iā€™ll try to post first impressions and after 2 or 3 weeks a ā€œreviewā€ (Iā€™m not an avid audiophile and I have little experience, but Iā€™ll try my best)

I guess that Iā€™ll have to wait at least 3 weeks until my order arrives, it has been shipped but I live in Argentinaā€¦ long way from China.

PD: sorry for my bad english!

6 Likes

Compared to what? Example: any of the wide bore sets, azla earfit, spiraldots, epro all sound brighter than any spinfit to me. Thatā€™s why I was surprised about bright comment. In ky collection of tips, they sit at the less bright end of the collection (of stuff I use regularly anyway)

1 Like

Oh, compared to other small bore. Wide bores increase way more treble than it does.

Also heā€™s comparing it to foams (they absorb highs).

1 Like

Okay, Iā€™ve had enough listening time for some impressions.

TL;DR; I donā€™t love the Timeless

I donā€™t typically use IEMs for TV and movies, but theyā€™re a good stress test for tonality. When I watched The Blacklist, the Timeless immediately sounded pretty bad. Dialog was both aggressive (nearly shouty but not quite) and overly breathy sounding, and environment/background noises were so loud they bordered on distracting.

In my experience, other than reaching for EQ, you can control for the strong treble either using tips that reduce the treble or tips that bring up the bass to compensate. I tried foams to bring down the treble, but that dulled the sound too much, and I tried narrow bore tips like Final E types to bring up the bass, but that pushed vocals too far back. Xelastecs seem to hit the best balance in terms of taming the treble a bit without boosting the bass, but theyā€™re still not perfect. And none of that fixes the aggressive vocals.

By comparison, the VK4 is also quite bassy (and extends deeper), but vocals are more natural sounding and less aggressive without sounding recessed. Treble on the VK4 is not nearly the same quality as the Timeless, but thereā€™s a lot less of it, so the VK4 works well with wide-bore tips that bring down the bass and bring up the treble-it never gets overly trebly.

So the tuning is kind of a shame. The Timelessā€™ bass quality is quite good, and while its treble is overly present, itā€™s also very smooth and clear. The overall sense of clarity and resolution is indeed in a different class than something like the VK4.

Of course tonality can be improved EQ (a wide 1dB boost around 700-800 Hz helps quite a lot), but with EQ one can also improve the VK4ā€™s overly strong sub-bass and lack of treble air, resulting in better resolution.

So does the Timeless have a place in my collection? Probably not. The smoothness and treble quality make it clear that the Timeless is a strong technical performer. Music listening isnā€™t TV, and itā€™s possible to overlook its tuning issues with music, especially instrumental tracks where the clarity and detail can be kinda cool. I listened to a fair amount of music with the Timeless, from progressive metal like Tool to symphonic classical like Mahler, from folk rock by Joni Mitchell to electronica by Talvin Singh, and of course some of my favorite Bach choral music from the RIAS chamber choir. The Timeless sounded impressively clear and detailed on everything, but it never pulled me into the music. On Tool, the speed and articulation of the bass was enjoyable, but it lacked the aggressiveness that makes my blood pump on this kind of music. On Mahler, the whole orchestra is well presented, but the crazy dynamic swings of his music sound tamed. Joni Mitchellā€™s guitar playing sounded great, but the soul of her music is in her voice, sweet and raw at once, and it just didnā€™t grab me. Talvin Singh actually sounded pretty good and I canā€™t actually complain here, but again I didnā€™t notice any special sauce. Bachā€™s Motets were the most disappointing. This music is at its heart church music and sounds like it was recorded in a largish church, spanning from the profound depths of the low male vocals to the sweet, almost ethereal highs of the females. At its best, this recording transports me into almost a trancelike state. The Timeless completely lost the reverb and depth of the church, and the vocals sounded flat and a little lifeless.

Despite being my shiny new toy, as I write this the Timeless sits in its box while I listen to Peter Mulvey on my Tripowin Mele, which sounds fantastic with vocal and guitar driven music like this. And as usual, my trusty VK4s got the most ear time of any set today because they sound pretty great on everything, and with some music like choral and progressive metal, theyā€™re a next-level experience. I guess Iā€™ve got my answer!

P.S. Iā€™ll stand by my assertion that I prefer the Timeless to the Legacy 4, purely for managing to be at least as detailed but without any of the harshness. I havenā€™t owned it for a while, but Iā€™d probably take the Timeless over the OG Andromeda for being much more normally tuned and having treble that comes close to rivaling the much more expensive set, even though it doesnā€™t stage nearly as holographically. I need to just come to terms with the fact that I value the emotional experience of music way more than ā€œtechnicalitiesā€. If music were a book, detail and resolution are like glasses that help you see every letter of every word written on the page, but thatā€™s just a gimmick if you canā€™t follow the story.

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing your honest impressions.

Iā€™m in season 5 of The Blacklist. Good show, and itā€™s got some good tracks too.

1 Like

Can you do an experiment? Leave them running for a day or two and listen again. I know you donā€™t believe in burn in but I swear it tamed the highs for me.

Usually I stopped using foam. I recently put them on my timeless to have it sit more comfortable in my ears. The soundstage is now much better. There is indeed the issue that highs are less prominent. In comparison silicon tips are rather uncomfortable on my timeless.

1 Like

Mine has been in customs since the 15th and after 4 days (19th) they changed status to ā€œImport documents are missing. Recipient will be contacted.ā€

Iā€™m still waiting to be contacted (actually Iā€™ve contacted them now, waiting for an answer).

Sooo closeā€¦ :lying_face:

Ordered them 2021-09-14 from Dudu Audio Store on AliExpress.

They didnā€™t ship until the 29th.

#1stWorldProblems

https://giphy.com/gifs/Friends-season-2-friends-tv-the-one-where-eddie-moves-in-W0c3xcZ3F1d0EYYb0f

4 Likes

Completely on point. When I did the LOTR test, it was like ā€œcan I use anything else? Anything? Please?ā€ (Which reminds me, I never tried that on the new unit)

I think itā€™s the smaller dynamic range of the Timeless that makes it less engaging.

Do you find planars less engaging on a whole? Over ears included?

Nice comparison :+1: I get thatā€™s itā€™s just a quick go-through comparison however Iā€™d find it nice if youā€™d finish with a conclusion. Itā€™s always nice to hear the reviewers final thoughts and overall preferences. Every reviewer has their own preferences and to hear those makes for a more full picture.

2 Likes

I was going to wait til 11:11 but figured thereā€™d be a lot of orders so I thought, sod it, and ordered my 2nd set off Amazon yesterday.
10-20th November is anticipated delivery so not too bad.

1 Like

@DaveB and @Dynamic : I didnā€™t read all 1.7k posts in this thread, but what was your reasons to buy it twice? To get another ticket in the QC lottery?