šŸ”¶ 7HZ Timeless Planar

Gaspā€¦ what an avid reader.

If youā€™re dead set for soundstage and imaging, then I will not suggest Timeless. Planars have a soundstage that is flat as a pancake. There will be left and right but zero vertical positional cues. Except for vocals, which somehow floats on top of mass of instruments being played. Such is life, we canā€™t have everything. Planars have the best vocal timbre. Chefā€™s kiss. But one would ask for too much to look for soundstage in a planar.

Iā€™d suggesting saving up for IER-Z1R or get headphones. There arenā€™t a lot of iems with soundstageā€¦ regardless of price.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m starting to realise that. Iā€™m mostly getting the timeless to try out itā€™s tuning and as a replacement to Aria.

Currently donā€™t have the budget for IER-Z1R, but itā€™s definitely in my to try list.

The way to go

1 Like

How are vocals on the azlaā€˜s compared to cp100ā€˜s?

Can anyone recommend a good cable for the timeless? Should I go for copper or silver?

I really didnā€™t compare them in that respect. Gonna put them in now. As a general rule, for something like pentatonix, I actually prefer less bass. On timeless, that will mean a wider bore. So any azla tip will likely let vocals be more vocal and less dominated by the bass.

The crystals help a bit there for me. Reduces the punchiness of the sonics just a touch.

I think the sedna earfit light are even a bit better. But the differences arenā€™t a lot. Itā€™s hard to contain the timeless bass, itā€™s always there and rich.

The epro horn tip things might be the best option. :slight_smile:

I bought the linsoul euphrosyne because itā€™s blue. Sounds nice. Good build. Probably massively over priced but works quite well. And for a thick cable, itā€™s surprisingly good. I donā€™t usually like cables to be too thick or too thin.

The stock cable looks like a good cable but if you are not happy with it for some reason, copper cable will pair better IMO.

I guess im gonna buy a bunch of copper cables on 11/11 sale.

I just got a pair. I donā€™t believe in burn-in, so Iā€™m just enjoying them out of the box.

Iā€™m not ready to give impressions yet, but I can share tip rolling results. I have not tried the stock tips at all.

Final E - A little rubbery sounding in the bass, but pretty good overall

Acoustune AET07 - Also rubbery, but less bassy than the Final E tips

Sedna Xelastec - Very nice, as always

KZ Starline Tips (left over from some ZSTs or something) - So far these are my favorite. Still good bass presence, no rubberiness, highs are clear but not harsh.

The only other $200 IEM I ever owned was the Thieaudio Legacy 4, and the Timeless is immediately better than that. No harshness, more open sounding, very nice so far.

EDIT - Oh, and the metal case is a joke. 1) I have to wrap the wire quite tightly to fit the IEMs back in the case, 2) it has exposed metal that Iā€™m afraid will scratch the earpieces as I put them in the case, 3) the lining was already peeling on on side and 4) thereā€™s some sticky glue or something on the hinge. Why, why this fancy but useless brick of a case?

EDIT 2 - Okay, even with the Starline tips, the bass is a bit too bloomy and male vocals on something like Toolā€™s Parabola are a bit too recessed. Thatā€™s usually a sign that I need deeper insertion, and sure enough the shallow tips that came with the Mele seem to fix both of these issues on the Timeless.

6 Likes

The Timeless should quickly make you a believer in burn in. The initial OOTB excessive bass should disappear after a few hours of use, followed by improved coherency and frequency balance for days to come.

1 Like

Oh, as for the boxā€™s sharp edges, take a small piece of fine sandpaper, gingerly rub those edges and all done in 1 min.

The box allows the iem to stick upwards some, so itā€™s not as tight fitting as it looks.

3 Likes

My random browsing of my library bought me to this which Iā€™d not heard for a while and holy crap it sounded good.

These are some mighty fine iems and the vfm is off the scale bonkers.

1 Like

I have published my first video review of the timeless, tea and dusk.

I would love constructive criticism! Let me know what you think!

17 Likes

Just a quick thought and I know itā€™s your first.

1. Sound is very important and you may want to invest in a good mic that doesnā€™t artificially suppress noise (doesnā€™t have to be expensive, even a sub $20 lav mic will do).
  2. Simpler shots of the items with not so much going on is actually enough (I like your inclusion in movement in the shots though, so keep that up).
  3. I like that the background music isnā€™t distracting. Many people donā€™t get this right, and for a first attempt, good job.
  4. Donā€™t forget to use the new YouTube time marking :wink:

Anyway, nice job.

4 Likes

My environment has some noise. I had to digitally filter it and then boost the volume. Otherwise the voice was too soft. I am working on a better arrangement for this.

I have an unlisted version that is better quality but lower volume. I could send that over to you privately to see if it is preferred. All the earlier private feedback said to make my voice louder. So I used software filtering to do it.

Not the first to say that. Will work on that in future reviews.

Awesome! Was going for subtle but present.

I honestly probably wonā€™t for sub 10 minute videos meant to be viewed as a whole. I actually had both titles and markers in one version and I found it took away from the experience. I could add markers for build, soundstage, resolution, tonality and comfort ā€œsectionsā€ but probably not more than that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Markers for major sections should be enough. Not for every sentence, Iā€™d hope :wink::wink:

2 Likes

My understanding is my channel is to new for markers to appear. I have added them. Maybe they will magically show up.

Will add them in the future to major sections even on short videos.

1 Like

I could be wrong but the markers might take some time to appear. Iā€™ve noticed that markers tend to be missing on newly uploaded videos.

Ex: Passion For Sound channel has markers in itā€™s video reviews which arenā€™t there when freshly uploaded.

1 Like

Nice work! I like the format, especially the inclusion of specific test songs.

2 Likes