A lighter comfier LCD2 PF?

Okay people, really loving the sound of the LCD2 PF. However, not digging the heft of these cans. So, alternative options that would be similar in sound signature / technical ability, but lighter / comfier?

Even though I prefer the sound of the LCD2, I find myself using my 660s more, just because they are so light and comfy.

Thoughts? Is this purple unicorn territory?

How would the comfort / sound of something like the Arya compare?

I’d love to say cost is not an issue, but of course it is. However… I’d probably go up to $1k (used Arya territory).

The GL2000 is on my radar, but I’m just not sure about it yet. I’ll probably wait for some used sets to start popping up.

Anything else I should be looking at? Aeon Open X maybe?

Hmmmmmm

Def not arya, very different sounding

Eikon and nighthawks could be close, but nighthawks aren’t quite as good,but pretty comfy,and Eikons have heft to it, but may be more comfy

You could try hexv2, but its a bit of a signature change, but will be comfier

This is just quickly off the top of my head :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and headphones that I’ve heard

1 Like

Ether 2? Hella comfy, warmer more relaxed sound although it’s a bit more light on it’s feet and not as heavy handed as the lcd 2 when it comes to impact, but I think it could be a very nice choice. Used it would be pushing it at around like 1.2k. It’s going to have that warmer well bodied, organic type of sound, a bit more relaxed in the treble, somewhat forgiving of the recording, and good spaciousness, but might not sound as hefty as the 2 and not as liquid at times

2 Likes

But it needs to be on the top of the head! :laughing:

3 Likes

*puts on ksc75s

2 Likes

Just read that. Ether 2 definitely sounds like a solid choice. Never taken the time to look at that one until now. I’ll have to keep an eye out for one.

I think the ZMF Eikons and the Atticus are candidates even a little wiggle room to experiment with the pad choices for them both.

I watched a couple of other reviews of the Ether 2, and they are giving me pause. Variations between units? Odd tonality? Anyone heard anything about that? I’ll have to do some more digging.

I’ll look at the ZMF stuff. I’ve kind of been thinking about those as unibtaibium, are used prices close to $1k?

Hm. I haven’t heard of the unit variation, but I haven’t really looked into that so can’t comment, I’ve only heard a few at a show and one at a friends place. Regarding tonality, I think that might depend on preference here. The ether 2 is more rich and rounded leaning relaxed signature with a slight treble recession (like the lcd 2 somewhat), I certainly wouldn’t call it odd, but it’s not what most people would expect from a mrspeakers headphone (which coming from like the ether c for example is pretty linear and a bit more forward leaning), there will be people who don’t like it, but personally I found it pretty pleasing and enjoyable, it would just depend on if that sounds enjoyable to you. If you are after a more neutral linear forward reference sound than the ether 2 will not deliver on that front lol, again though to me that’s really not something I’d call an issue or odd

ZMF stuff is hard to come by used, they’re out there but they do hold their value pretty well it seems because of the wait times to buy new. The older chassis versions are more common in the sub 1k used range.

What? Zmf stuff is posted multiple times a week on headfi and avexchange. Only things you dont see much of are VO and Atticus.

2 Likes

@M0N would the kennerton gjallarhorn be an option here?

Then that’s good. They weren’t available when I was looking for mine. What’s the going rate?

Just to make sure your bases are covered. Did you switch to the newer headband on the PFs? That may help a but and is an easy and less expensive path.

It obviously doesnt make them lighter but it can help distribute it well

1 Like

You know what I didn’t think of that at all lol, but possibly. I think signature wise, it totally could be, but the presentation of the horn is very very different from the lcd 2 and it’s technical performance is also fairly different from the lcd 2 when it comes to things like impact, dynamics, spatial recreation, time domain performance mostly. So it could be an option that might fill a similar role, but I wouldn’t say it’s all that similar to the lcd 2 overall imo

1 Like

I think u said before that the horn was like an upgrade to a nighthawk?

Somewhat yeah, if someone really liked the nighthawk the horn is a really easy choice for moving up. It is different, but it will appeal to the same people that liked the hawk imo

2 Likes

I think I am leaning toward getting the new headband.

2 Likes

Ah wait so you have the old headband? Swapping the headband could really help and better distribute the weight, so it would be a good move. Also if find that doesn’t work for you the new headband adds resale value so don’t take much of a hit either

3 Likes