A/V Receiver thread

Zeos said he wanted home theater content on HiFi guides in his Home Theater 103 video so I thought I’d start a A/V Receiver thread

So here is my Pioneer Elite VSX-84tsxi, I’m currently using it with a Klipsch THX Ultra2 5.2 system it’s getting audio from my TCL 6 series (r625) TV via optical and needs to be upgraded badly!

2 Likes

I’m using Marantz AV/Pre 7702 mkii with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and with the Auro3D upgrade.
5.2.4 theater setup + magic dust and Genelec SAM™ Studio Monitors and Subs.
Sources being PS4, PS3, XBox something, Sony TV, Computers, Tablet and Phones (Web + home network + Streaming).

2 Likes

My HT system is also long in the tooth. But it still looks and sounds amazing. Watching tv/movies is still a pleasureable experience.

AVR: Denon AVR-2313CI
LCR Speakers: Def Tech SM55 and CS8040
Side speakers: Acoustic Research 215PS (on floor angled up wall like @ZeosPantera did in one of his HT videos)
Rear speakers: Polk T15
Sub: A Dayton Audio mutt, 15" driver, sealed box, 300 watt BASH amp
Display: Panasonic 60" 1080p plasma (a basic 2012 model, don’t remember number)
Sources: Roku Ultra, Sony Blu-Ray player (the one with the odd angular top), Steam Link, [edit] a Chromecast, often I plug my Surface Pro 4 in via HDMI, and I have a Topping D10 feeding the AVR via optical as well.

Someday I hope to play with Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, but we are still renting so putting speakers in the ceiling is probably a no-go.

2 Likes

My setup is 5.1.2: Onkyo TX-NR686 – it has 4K, Atmos, DTS-X, etc.
Klipsch RP-280FA, R-62C, Polk LSiM 703 surrounds, Rythmik F12

Inputs are TV, Xbox 1 X, PS4 base

2 Likes

I’m thinking about getting a denon avr-x3600h with my TRUMPBUX. I 'd like to upgrade to 5.2.4 i’ve never experienced Atmos before.

I really would like to play around with Atmos and DTS:X too. Unfortunately I finished grad school and got on the job market at exactly the wrong time. So my check will sit in my bank account to make sure we don’t starve for an additional month. However, I love my Denon AVR and would not think twice about getting another one when the money and time arrive.

2 Likes

I was gonna start a new thread but I figured 'Nah, this one is good!" I just wanted to follow up with the big swap I did 2 weekends ago where I moved out my Denon AVR-2808ci. It was getting old and started to do strange things, so I swapped it out for something I bought in 2016! The Onkyo TX-SR444

When I first started I figured “Man, I’m already behind the curve, this thing is almost 5 years old!” But ya know what, It’s brand new out of the box, it’s paid for, it’s got all the interfaces I need, It was pretty easy to configure, and at the end of the day, now that we have had a couple of weeks to enjoy it, The sound is incredible! It has Bluetooth, too, which is pretty great. I can just grab my cell, connect and stream Amazon HD. And it sounds great! A huge upgrade in capability.

I’m running the full 7.1 speaker configuration, and I have to say, this setup produces a very rich yet natural and easy to listen to sound field. It’s strong but the bass isn’t too aggressive (running a single sub) and the detail is amazing. It doesn’t attack you like the Denon kinda did. But it gives that incredible clarity and detail like the Denon did. The rustling of clothes, when someone walks across a room you hear it and feel it, it’s like you are there. And it can blow you out of the room as well if you want to do that! I’m very pleased with the outcome. I thought this receiver was going to be a step down from the Denon but honestly, I don’t think it is. I’m still tinkering with it. Heck, I haven’t even tried the headphone jack yet!

Oh, the video processing is killer! This TV never looked so good. Lipsync is dead-on-balls accurate, too. And the way you can switch from cable to DVD to music is effortless. This thing really delivers. And I STILL haven’t tried the headphone jack yet! :smile:

3 Likes

Denon AVR-1312 I got for 100$ on eBay. Honestly great for the price, I even used the headphone out to power HD58Xs (and even T50RPs!) for a while. Yes. HD58Xs needed to be at 30/100. T50RPs needed to be at 60-65/100. :grin: Now I’m just using it as my speaker amp.

Doesn’t do much bass or bass “authority”. Just smooth. Sanskrit 10th is better than the integrated DAC.

I also have a Denon DRM-500 cassette tape… what. They look great together. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (random youtube video). I really like the digital VUs.

4 Likes

Denon/marantz is providing an external device to fix the HDMI 2.1 problem.

So unfixable then.
I’m going to guess it adds additional latency, which will make it less than ideal for the devices it’s largely fixing it for.

More cost effective than a recall is another theory.

2 Likes

Breaking news via technodad Yamaha AVR aventage line . Theyre pricey. Ouch.

RX-A8A= $2999
RX-A6S= $2199
RX-A4A= $1299
RX-A2A= $799

Updated yamaha website. No user manual available.

Dont think they that pricy. Pretty much in same price realm as the competition.
Think the Marantz i have with XLR preouts was like 2600$ back in the day (2015) and the newer versio / similar model is 2900$ (2021).
Cream Skimming as usually with new tech.

The back panel is nice on the mid price model got the same dacs as the top of the line A8A wonder how it sounds. Nobody likes yamaha’s YPAO did they improve the DSP. Saw somewhere theres a drop in db coming from the XLR than the RCA.

The mystery is finally over for yamahas aventage models.

Yes it is expensive, but it’s got a 5th foot!

1 Like

Anti-Resonance Technology Wedge

yeea… nooo. lolled when read the description.
No audio rocks on top of unit? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The denons are affordable have good measurement better room correction
Formats and features. But the reliability and build quality is all over the map when you look into owner feedback on the forums.

Would pay the 2k if yamaha switch to dirac and imax enhanced.

There is zero titles for AURO 3D better shot for nonexistent content with IE than AURO.

The manuals now available on the yamaha website.

AV Receivers are best way to take home cinema to next level.

Here is complete guide on Best AV Receivers. Do give it a read.

AV Receivers are best way to take home cinema to next level.

Know more about AV Receivers.

Here is complete guide on Best AV Receivers. Do give it a read.

So I spend my TRUMPBUX on a Glock 45, but eventually I did buy a Denon AVR-x4700h after I bought my first house with my wife.