Advice/Feedback on planned setup and headphone mods

Hello all, I have been researching what I want my audio setup to look like and want run it past those who are more experienced than I am.

Setup
Headphones - DT880 600 Ohm (I already own, and these will be modded)
AMP - Schiit Magnius
DAC - Schiit Modius (i was also looking at the liquid spark DAC and the Topping E30 but the idea of a Magnius/Modius stack is too appealing)

Headphone Modifications
Pro conversion - Buy the Buttonable Headband, slider repair kit, Metal Head Bow Pro, and 2 system bows (for the pro). Then swap the parts.
I prefer the feel of the Pro headphones that Beyerdynamic make, so I am trying to replicate that with these replacements.

Balanced Mod - I am looking to use the wonderful guide here that theFritz created to have a balanced XLR setup that I can use with the Magnius. Nice thing is, since I have the black edition of the 880s there is no name plate to be upside down. :upside_down_face:

Better Ear pads - Since I’m taking off the 3 year old ear pads anyway, I might as well throw on some Dekoni Choice Suede pads.

With all of that in mind I had a few questions

1. Does anyone happen to know if the system bows for the Pros will fit on the premium edition housings? The points where they attach on either side of the housing look the same, but I am unsure if there are dimensional differences that will throw this plan out the window.

2. In the manual for the Magnius they state “using a 4-pin male XLR plug conforming to the K1000 output jack wiring specification.” Is the following the correct specs?

1 (white) = left +
2 (black) = left -
3 (red) = right +
4 (blue) = right -

1. Does anyone have any other advice? Or perhaps some recommendations that they think might be better?

Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know anything about modding, but I still wanted to welcome you to HFG…so welcome to HFG, Blaze!

I’ll also point you to consider a geshelli stack which would be a similar price point (unless you want their wood housings)
sound wise I loved my 880 but the jank build and non removable stupidly long cable ruined it for me if you can mod those to your liking I’d say they could be your endgame for sure!

Wondering if @WaveTheory has experience with DT-880 600 on Magnius. My gut is to not be too pumped about it, have a hunch the synergy is better with Asgard 3. I found recently that LakePeople G111 was really really satisfying with those headphones. Part of your mod that I really did NOT enjoy was the Dekoni suede pads on there. Sound became way way way too warm and dark for me. Good if you want SERIOUS deviation of sound signature. Were very comfy.

I guess explaining what you want sonically will help a lot on feedback.

#1 piece of advice is to do an actual detachable cable mod and don’t go with a janky setup.

I’ve done this mod before and the next beyer I mod will be done this way, but with a 4 pole TRRS plug to have the option to go balanced.

If I had the itch to go mini XLR I’d be doing it this way.

You could splice connectors into the cable if drilling makes you nervous. If you don’t like it reverse it with solder and heat shrink.