Advice request for initial upgradable 2.0 system: Thinking powered monitors but open to other options. TIA

So I’m looking at a set of Adam TV5 TV7s or JBL 305s and wondering am I going down the right path. I want my system to start with a solid 2.0 connected via RCA then add a monitor interface at some stage to use the balanced inputs and then a sub later. I’m debating do I want to turn it into a 5.1 system in the future but not sure of that part of the plan. I’ve always been technical but am a newbie when it comes to music tech so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My budget is hard to describe, I’m thinking of starting with a pair of passive bookshelf speakers or monitors and just connect with rca but then over time add to the system with maybe a monitor interface and used balanced in/outs and possibly a dac, then adding a sub at some point and maybe satellites for home cinema (not sure if I’ll bother with that last part).

So initial soft budget of around €300ish ($340) for the monitors with view to adding pieces over time.

I’m initially looking for a solid 2.0 desktop system that I want to add to over the coming years. I am thinking desktop nearfield monitor or desktop passive speakers.

These are for my PC that I use for Music in my bedroom, gaming and netflix/media. My number one concern is music though.

I currently have a PC and a set of M40Xs and a shitty old 2.1 system that came with an old pre build computer.

Music gaming and media, not an FPS player so that’s not a big issue. My music taste is eclectic and goes from Pantera to Dubstep to Beethoven.

I intend to buy good new products that will last me a long time.

Hard to beat the tweeters on the T5Vs… I use them on my simrig with a Schiit jotunheim for a dac/amp but I also use them for music in there. I added a sub to them … On this machine I have the Kali audio LP6s… also excellent monitors fed By the Schiit Asgard 3 amp with the multibit dac card

You’re happy with the TV5s so? I think I’ll go that way rather than buy inferior stuff for a 5.1. My main concentration is on music! Looking at a really good offer for a pair of TV5s and iso stands. I’ll add a sub at a later date. I don’t really need a DAC at this stage though do I? I’ll probably add one later or a controller to use the balanced inputs, one with a nice headphone out maybe for my M40Xs.

How are you feeding them? They are powered monitors… Using a pre out on a avr or Is this from a computer? For nearfield they are great but really rock with a sub

Initially with a computer but I would hope to add something to the chain at some point rather than the 3.5m to RCA which I plan on starting with…

Well when you are ready there are a ton of options… I love my Asgard 3… great amp…I also have a hybrid amp in the chain which is a Liquid platinum by Monoprice…Huge power when used balanced… Do you know what sound you are chasing? There are a ton of helpful people here when you are ready to upgrade further… Oh and my apologies…Welcome to the best place for advice!! Welcome to HFG!!

Thank you very much. I found this place via Zeos! Anything with that link must be good! So what is the purpose of an amp with powered monitor, just to use as a pre amp and controller is it?

Erm, I don’t really know what sound I am chasing, my music taste is eclectic, sometimes I love a bit of base with Run the Jewels and the like other times I’m looking for clarity looking for vocals, so I’m not really sure.

The Asgard 3 is my headphone amp but I also use the pre outs to power my Kali’s… plug in headphones mutes the speakers… The link below will give you the terminology of types of sound that you can then use to find the right parts with or when asking the questions like, I am looking for a warm and fun sound or I want a neutral sound is what I meant. It is a interesting and helpful shortcut.

https://www.audiophileon.com/news/how-to-describe-sound-an-audiophile-terminology-guide

Sorry, I’m with you! I’m looking for crisp/neutral, I like to hear it as the producers intended really!

Everything about what you said about the Asgard 3 sounds great but I think I’d be looking for something that would do what you mentioned (good headphone out that cuts the speakers and has volume control) but also would have balanced outs for the monitors. So I’m guessing I should be looking for a pre amp or a dac?

or does balanced add anything on such a short run?

Yes a dac would be kind of helpful… There are many but they depend on budget… Currently and temporarily I am using a SMSL Su8 balanced dac… Balanced out to my Monoprice Liquid platinum hybrid amp. At the same time the rca outs on the Su8 are feeding the Asgard 3. Then the pre outs on the A3 feed my Kali’s…Zeos did a review on the Su8 ands loved it… It has a remote as well… I would call that Dac neutral as well. A far as the sound you want in a possible headphone I anm not positive on that as I chase a slightly warmer sound.
Here is the point where you will have to be patient and allow another to step in…I am still learning as well but have been getting unending help here… It is a journey to find what you need but you will get there from here quickly…

I run several sets of balanced headphones with my Liquid plat. I also have several headphones that are better single ended…

No you’re fine. I really appreciate the help! I suppose I’m not overly bothered if the headphones or balanced or not I’m more eventually looking for the right thing to put between my PC and the 2.1 system that has a volume control, cuts the speaker when headphone is connected and provides balanced outs for the 2.1 system.

That’s later though, for now I am just looking for the right speakers/monitors to start the system.

Then the T5Vs will do just fine and they will also work with the su8 if you decide to purchase that one. IMHO. They are also a excellent way to start and will beat the hell out of some little p.o.s. 2.1 system…

Something you might want to know is, Smsl is working on the Su9 now and it is supposed to be out soon. You could wait a bit to check that one out… What part of the Blue marble do you live on… USD or EU or Canada?

If possible.
It is always good to hear / compare the speakers before buying. Ur own place is the best location.

I know this ain’t the reality but points in the general direction.

It’s more of a preference thing.
I liked the 305 more of being not so “clear” as TV5. In real live as well.
Also in white so that was the added bonus, usage with TV + preamp.

Thanks! While not real life its the closest I can get during lockdown. Think I prefer the TV5s. Seems to be clearer with more distinction if they are the correct phrases!

One last question, connecting the monitors from a pc. Unless I’m missing something is something like the scarlett solo the way to go? I have no interest in the recording aspect of the scarlett solo but it does have a good headphone out, balanced outs for the monitors, and volume control. While it does have what I’m looking for am I wasting money with the recording features it has that I won’t be using? Is there another solution I’m not seeing? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, Ireland!

Thanks for everyone’s help. I ended up pulling the trigger on the following:
2 X Adam TV5s
1 X Focusrite Scarlett Solo Mk3
2 X IsoAcoustics - ‘ISO-155’ Isolation Stands
2 X Adam Hall - 3m XLR(m) to 6.3mm Stereo Jacks.
Total including delivery €474.68. Thoughts? Not too late to cancel if I have made a terrible mistake!