AFUL Explorer 1DD+2BA Hybrid In-Ear Monitors

I’m a classic rock and alternative rock stan, so you’re basically prying open my welded money clip for the Explorer. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Managed to get my name in the list for a review tour. Waiting to try the Explorer

2 Likes

I am sorry, I really am. This hobby is full contact for my wallet too.

3 Likes

How’s the shell size ? Comfortable enough with pillow

The Explorer has a smaller shell, with narrow nozzles. I have small ears, so the bigger IEMs tend to be a problem for me. These are one of the most comfy IEMs I own. It also avoids any of the angled wings that can be problem.

4 Likes

I have smaller ears too. Magic one fit me very well. Ofc expect the pressure buildup issue. But the only IEMs I can sleep with are Sennheiser IE line-up

1 Like

You should try Xelento 1st and 2nd gen. Amazing comfort and even better than IE line up. Very underrated in my opinion.

1 Like

Still worthy in 2024 ?

1 Like

According to Jaytiss, the Davinci scores an 8.8 while the Explorer scores an 8.3. So while the difference would be noticeable, I’m not sure if it’s worth an extra $180.

I personally have the Explorer and while I haven’t tried a lot of IEM’s, (S12, Salnotes Zero, EW 200, EA500LM), this is the only one where I haven’t felt the need to EQ. It’s smooth, polished, and works with every genre I’ve thrown at it so far. Even when I do eventually move on from this I will be searching for a better version of this IEM.

If you’re intrigued and have $120 to throw down, I’d do it. It’s great.

9 Likes

Which one?

Excellent feedback. Thanks!

2 Likes

One thing I can tell you for sure that Ranking is a very personal thing. Don’t stress on it too much.

7 Likes

+1 to this.

2 Likes

hexa leans on clinical side. the extension is good. bass quality is bad. aful explorer on the other hand have bassy laidback sound. treble extension lacks behind the hexa but the bass quality is way better on the explorer and mids are more relaxed on explorer

1 Like

I have my Ranking list too , but I haven’t made it public just for one reason - There is no way my ranking list can help anyone.

1 Like

You can still share with a preface about your listening preferences and maybe folks who have similar preference will benefit from it

2 Likes

I have just ~30 IEMs, can share with you though

Yes Bro, I have. It is definitely worth trying. I will send you to audition.

Unless you have tons of overlap in taste both in terms of timber preference and music library, rankings like that are hard to compare.

I also think it is interesting that Jaytiss has graphs for several Ziigaat’s but has none on the ranking list. If you don’t have either Doscinco or Cincotres up there, it seems odd. Almost everyone really enjoys one or the other. Doscinco is better for rock, Cincotres for pop and hip-hop.

I love Doscinco, but costs twice the price of the Explorer. Some of the Explorer special sauce is the low pinna, which always helps with making the sound smooth.

6 Likes

Unless you have tons of overlap in taste both in terms of timber preference and music library, rankings like that are hard to compare.

Exactly this

2 Likes