AFUL Performer 7 Hybrid 2DD + 4BA + 1 Micro Planar

RDT_20240924_0733407349597211378572796

unnamed(1)

Brand

AFUL stands for “At Full,” signifying perfection, completeness, and the pursuit of excellence. In Chinese, it translates to “致音,” representing the ultimate in sound quality and reverence. “致” conveys meanings of respect, focus, achievement, precision, and refinement, highlighting AFUL’s dedication to achieving perfect sound.

History

2018: The journey began with a dedicated acoustic team that focused on developing cutting-edge acoustic technology. High-quality 3D printing and acoustic testing equipment were acquired and a professional acoustic lab was built.

2019:

A breakthrough was achieved with the first engineering prototypes that featured a novel circuit topology and acoustic structure. The brand designed a single BA driver to deliver stunning HiFi performance.

2020:

The technology was refined and the second generation of circuit topology and acoustic structure was developed. Three technology patents were secured for the innovations.

2021:

The technology was commercialized and new applications were explored. The original S&E Math technology was recognized by the Chinese Academy of Sciences and selected for the “China-Denmark Technology Exchange Roadshow” to showcase the technological prowess to Denmark.

2022:

The Performer series earphones were successfully launched worldwide, receiving rave reviews from customers and critics alike. The S&E-Math technology also won government funding from the Suzhou Municipal Government’s “Leading Talent Award”.

2023:

The latest masterpiece is ready to be unveiled: the 1DD+7BA Performer 8. Single Balanced Armature driver IEMs MagicOne based on S&E-math technology is also in the pipeline.

Upgrades from the Perfomer 5

Configuration: 2 dynamic drivers + 4 balanced armatures + 1 micro planar driver

1.The low frequencies have been enhanced with dual dynamic drivers and a 3D-printed Y-shaped structure, significantly improving bass elasticity and density.

Attached Image: Dual low-frequency drivers with a Y-shaped structure

1. The addition of a micro planar driver to the high frequencies significantly improves treble extension and enhances overall sound accuracy.

Frequency response chart of the micro planar driver.

The micro planar driver offers impressive ultra-high frequency extension in the 10kHz to 20kHz range with exceptionally low distortion, as illustrated in the diagram below.

unnamed(1)

This enhancement provides the Performer 5+2 with outstanding sound reproduction, delivering exceptional spatial imaging and instrument clarity.

3.The acoustic structure and crossover circuit have been further refined, enhancing the overall sound coherence and texture.

Attached image: 3D rendering.

unnamed(2)

Technology Overview

All drivers have their limitations, and traditional technologies have pushed these drivers to their limits, making significant sound quality improvements challenging. To overcome this, AFUL has developed three key technologies:

High-Precision 3D Printed Acoustic Tube Structure

RLC Network Frequency Division Correction Technology

High-Damping Air-Pressure Balance System

By integrating precise and complex 3D acoustic structures with RLC network crossovers, AFUL has significantly elevated acoustic performance. This advanced modeling and design of the “acoustic structure-speaker-RLC network” has achieved a substantial leap in sound quality.

Key featuresFeature 1: High Fidelity Reproduction. (Note: This description pertains to later single-balanced armature models and is not applicable here.)

Traditional technologies often rely on multiple drivers to achieve high-quality sound, which can lead to issues with coherence and integration. Our technology, however, allows a single driver to perform effectively across different frequency ranges by precisely tuning its sound characteristics. This enables us to create earphones with exceptional accuracy and a natural sound profile, ensuring an immersive experience without any frequency range feeling overly dominant or insufficient.

Feature 2: Wide Frequency Response Range

A wider frequency response range allows for greater accuracy and realism in reproducing instruments, capturing both the primary fundamental frequencies and the harmonic overtones effectively. Many earphones on the market can only handle the main frequency ranges and fall short in reproducing overtones due to their limited frequency response.

How does technology to make it possible?

Most tuning in the industry is done using simple circuits or acoustic paths. However, AFUL combines circuit and acoustic modeling, employing complex multidimensional mathematical calculations to overcome tuning challenges and achieve superior sound quality.

Feature 3: Easy to drive

Thanks to its advanced technology, the Performer 5+2 is highly efficient and easy to drive. While a high-quality source will maximize its potential, it still provides excellent sound quality when used with portable dongles or Bluetooth DAC/Amps.

Feature 4: Exceptional Bass and Treble

The addition of two dynamic drivers and a micro planar unit, along with AFUL’s unique acoustic and circuit design, ensures that the bass texture, depth, treble resolution, and instrument separation are all top-notch.

三、Sound Signature

Bass: The bass is highly elastic and extends deeply, thanks to:

1. Dual dynamic drivers and a specialized acoustic structure.

2. An extended low-frequency acoustic tube that optimizes sub-bass performance.

3. High-damping pressure relief duct that enhance bass texture while relieving ear canal pressure.

Vocals: Natural and warm, maintaining a rich atmosphere while revealing intricate details.

Treble: Smoothly extended, ensuring accurate reproduction of instruments and their harmonics.

Ultra-High Frequencies: With a range of 10kHz to 30kHz, the addition of a micro planar driver and AFUL’s special acoustic design delivers performance that surpasses most electrostatic earphones.

Drivability: The Performer 5+2 is highly efficient and very easy to drive. We also recommend pairing it with Bluetooth earhooks or a Bluetooth DAC/Amp, as this combination generally delivers superior performance compared to most other wireless Bluetooth earphones.

Recommended Pairings and Music: The Performer 5+2 pairs well with a range of sources and is versatile enough to handle various genres, excelling in both pop and classical symphonies.

5 Likes

Looks interesting. :eyes:

I’m constantly amused by the ridiculous phrases IEM companies come up with for crossover:

“RLC Network Frequency Division Correction Technology” :joy:

At least they didn’t try to make it into an acronym.

2 Likes

At least this time they didnt just come up with a random name that sounds cool or something, as RLC is a proper term.

1 Like

Defo interested in this one. Let’s see how it graphs

Anyone have any ideas on price?

Aful don’t know how to name their technologies.

They are not names but entire sentences

Ffs. Why the micro planar… I want to see them tackle EST’s. P8+4 then maybe? Please? Pretty please?

1 Like

Could be a space issue, but if this is under 300 usd then its due to the price mostly.

1 Like

Yeah, both the P5 and P8 shells are pretty small. Still, I really hope they bring out a set with EST’s in the future, but priced a bit below the Cantor. Around the $600 would be nice.

1 Like

IMO, best value would be if they could implement piezos really well, those are basically ESTs if they are implemented really well and also are MUCH cheaper so the price of the iem could be much more affordable.

4 Likes

I think price was a factor for the micro planar add 2 EST +$200 it seems, though thats still marked up 100x

The Dual ESTs are around 150 usd/pair afaik.

1 Like

Not mine but this looks yummy!

From Pulkit (GadgetGod)

3 Likes
4 Likes

Man I been wanting to try this company and it’s killing me that they have yet to release the price and the release date. It would be nice to know if it’s even within my budget :joy:

2 Likes

1 Like

I am actually doing my Tea Pro evaluation still and decided to throw the AFUL P7 in the ring as well.

The Tea PRO wow yeah It’s a lovely IEM, … but fresh out of the package the P7 has more good things going for it.

Nicer bass , doesn’t go as low as the Tea’s but has better texture and impact on the P7,

The mids are more filled out on the P7 , where the Teas can sound a bit thin and they sound just north of neutral towards the hairier side.

Instruments sound more natural on the AFUL as does the Vocals.

Yes you can get more air and separation, as well as details and resolution on the P7 as well a a bigger more open stage with better staging placement.
IMO the P7 fesh without burn in is clearly the better tuned IEM .

Source chain was the Kann Max as transport - USB into the Geshelli Labs J3 PRO with the AKM4499EX 4491 set and single ended out with Sparkos SS2590 OP Amps to the Topping A90D

Of course I tried the P7 with the Cadmus II cable and JVC Spiral Dots FX10 tips.

The Teas were on Stock Cable and Divinus WIDE Bore tips are fabulous on them.

Some Gipsy Kings and OH MY.
Geshelli Labs LLC J3 🩵🩵🩵🩵

4 Likes

Top IEMs under $300?? AFUL P5+2, ZiiGaat Estrella, and DUNU x Gizaudio DaVinci come right into my mind. All three are great performers, and after spending 15 days with them, I am here with a comparison video.

Do let me know how you guys like it. Don’t forget to leave me a like on the video and subscribe to my channel as well if you haven’t already.

Thank You

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing my impressions here bro. I was a little unweel so was not active here on the threads.

1 Like

How’s the soundstage? The 1kHz elevation is interesting.

But, honestly, from the next releases, I want something with regular pinna in AFUL IEMs. They have mastered the upper mids and need to take risks from now on.

The Low to Mid transition is just mouthwatering though, can’t wait to lay my hands on them.