šŸ”· AKG K361

That one I didnā€™t hear on the K361 I listened to, but I only had 10 minutes of head time and that peak at 8khz created such bad sibilance that I wanted to start a bar brawl, lol.

I agree with you 100%, but I do think that manufacturer variance is to play as well. DMS normally has a good ear for things, even if the sound signature isnt something he prefersā€¦but in his review he said they were bass monsters. That has to be manufacturer defect or something. They extend well, but they most definitely arent bass monsters.

Well depends, audiophiles usually donā€™t consider harman flat so for them harman bass is ā€˜ā€˜bass monsterā€™ā€™

1 Like

That is so drastic though, from neutral to bass monster? There is a lot in between those ranges. Maybe Iā€™ve just heard too many headphones, lol.

I think they could be bass monsters if you put them on a higher output impedance amp tbh. Also yeah variance might be playing a large role

And also is the phase bass monster used in a good or bad connotation?

I also have a good ear for low end, being a drummer and bass player, so maybe my own perspective involves more in depth levels of hearing that range? I donā€™t knowā€¦I tend to try and figure out these things so that when I watch a review, I have a good reference point of how that particular reviewer hears things and what their own preferences are. It is supplemental information I find invaluable. Leave it to me to nerd out over that stuff, but how others hear things is interesting to me. :wink:

Bad connotation . DMS and Metal571 had an interesting conversation about it on twitter.

Was metal defending it lol? He probably loves this thing fr wise

He does like the K371 alot

1 Like

Oh Metal571 loves the cans, but he was being very fair. DMS actually called the 371 beats like. That threw me for a loop for sure.

I mean DMS considers the DT880 flat which have like a -5db in the subbass compared to the K371

I would say the 880 600 ohm is pretty dang flat, but I would not call the 371 bass cannons

The 880s donā€™t seem flat at all tbh, subdued subbass but extended, with flat mids, and boosted treble in the 6k-10k and then again in the air region, seems more like a bright/airy headphone

They are a bit brighter, but one you learn them and compensate for that it is really a great truth teller for the price imo. Also the subbass performance depends on your amp tbh, and certain amps can tame the treble a bit if that ends up becoming a problem

Thatā€™s true, but he also likes Argons and Sony Mdr1a. Heā€™s very interesting in that he likes a lot of different things. But the MDR1A definitely have way more bass than the K371. Not that he compared the twoā€¦just saying that I really believe he had a defective unit cause that doesnā€™t add up. I think DMS is very fair with his reviews and is one that likes measurements as wellā€¦yet the K371 doesnā€™t sound like what he explained in his review. It would be one thing if he just didnā€™t like them for other reasonsā€¦but calling them beats like really leads me to believe his pair were shitty, unless he lost his hearing overnight.

Well ye if you put them on an amp with high impedance the bass will be boosted thatā€™s normal for almost every dynamic headphone, but by default its subdued

1 Like

Thatā€™s not what Iā€™m talking about, just saying an amp with enough driving force will allow for much better quality of subbass, not saying the amp will increase the quantity of subbass

Ye I donā€™t believe in that, sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

It might be true if you switch from onboard sound to a good amp but after that seems like bs

1 Like

So you donā€™t believe that a better amp will improve the sound of a headphone?

Letā€™s have somebody plug these into an Emotiva A-100 basx with the jumpers on and enjoy the reactionā€¦and subsequent explosion. :wink: