🔷 AKG K371

OK, since LeDechaine has committed the indiscretion of posting an FR graph on a subjectivist forum, lol, I’ll pile on as well. Here is the same thing with two differences:

Here I’ve used Oratory1990 measurements (state-of-art equipment) plus I’ve used the actual Harman 2018 target for compensation. IOW, this shows the variance between what they were attempting to match and the results they achieved with an actual production unit.

Sean Olive claimed they got within 1 dB across the audible spectrum with the K371. This shows a somewhat different story. Not saying it matters. Just an interesting snapshot.

2 Likes

Since you like a Harman fr, are you interested in the 371?

If your hearing stops at 3khz? :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Warning, by the way. Wheezy’s graph show K361s in red and K371s in blue. Oratory’s graph show K361s in blue and K371s in red. :confused:

Assuming this is addressed to me, no. Three problems. I have hearing damage that makes me need a significant boost in the 2-3 kHz region. On top of that I listen at fairly low levels, so even without the hearing damage I’d need more 2-3 kHz than the 2018 Harman target offers. Finally, I’m spoiled by the additional detail, dynamics, etc. from the DT 1990.

lol!

My bad. I noticed that right after I finished constructing the graph. Would be better if my graph had used entirely different colors rather than reversing them.

1 Like

I already posted a graph of these before all of y’all :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ve just done that for fun… lol.

That graph lookin scuffed

That’s my cheap ass free-photoshop-clone skillz. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good stuff. Compensation(s) used and how did you apply them?

Uh, Wheezy had HEQ, and Rtings got their own “mix” of things… It just shows that everyone measures headphones differently.

Rtings don’t have “raw” data so it would be harder to compare. Hmmm.

Lies and deceit ! Rtings do have raw data:

Left

Right

I mean yes, but, too raw :stuck_out_tongue: Haha (sorry I mean – the other two are harman compensated).

HEQ = “Target Response” ? If it’s the case, hmm, messing with a photo editor (to make the yellow, dotted target response horizontal, flat) gives me something really similar to Wheezy’s (harman compensated) measurements.

Edit: Rtings, compensated, without their own “mix” of things (i.e.: The graph they show to everyone), are 5dB down from 0hz compared to the others, a slope ending at 200hz. From 200hz to 10khz, yeah, really similar to Wheezy. And a hole at 12khz.

Anyway. I’m half asleep and messed a bit too much with this.

TL,DR: Rtings don’t seem to do much to the harman curve except lowering the bass, adding 5dB at 10khz, and removing like 5dB at 12hz for their “official” graphs. And with that, the green line (there) would be even more similar to the two other measurements from two other, different sources.

oh my this turned into a thread full of graphs

1 Like

Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re allergic to graphs :stuck_out_tongue:

K371, according to multiple measurements from multiple sources = Sub-bass boost +5dB, beautifully neutral mids for monitoring, and okay treble and “air”, so, these closed-back won’t sound closed (or “claustrophobic”.

That harman bass :weary::ok_hand:

Not allergic, I simply don’t put any stock into them.

There seems to be a Bluetooth version of the K371 and K361 newly released (not that the originals are that old). It seems a bit odd to me to release a separate version so soon, let alone have a bluetooth verson of a headphone marketed towards studio use.
From comparing with the non-bluetooth 371, it looks like the differences are:

• add 45g of weight
  • add $30 cost
  • add BT5 (no mention of aptX)
  • 40 hours battery life (claimed)
  • Wired listening still an option
  • take away the 3m straight cable
  • on paper specs seem to stay the same (frequency response, sensitivity, impedance)
1 Like

PSA to all metal heads. This headphone is really good for Metal music. Nice neutral even response. Sub bass to bass is quite powerful but the mid bass is neutral with the rest of the frequency response which means these never sound boomy. Guitars have a lot of grit, these have pretty good vocal intimacy, everything seems well separated despite the soundstage being narrow. So far I really like these. Now to test the gaming performance.

5 Likes

Not sure if you can see it in the picture but there’s a small dent on the driver. Mine still works perfectly fine and I haven’t noticed anything wrong with the sound. This could be why some people have issues with the sound of there unit.