All Things Classical

@Raptor168 We have SO many options now, eh? Love it!
PS Will post a general note later, but I finally bought the Bifrost 2. Only had 2 days with it so far, so we are still getting used to each other, but quite a leap from my
E30 (which is darn good too, imo) A whole different level.
Paired with my Asgard 3, Loki when I want to add that, and that Nordost usb cable I bought earlier. My Schiit stack is complete!

1 Like

That is great! Congrats. I love mine, and would most likely get another should this one ever break. Having said that, I am also curious about other R2R implementations. So we will have to see what the future brings.

So congrats, and stay “frosty”! :smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

Two pieces of this arrangement, Benedictus & Agnus Dei, were written to include octobass/contrabass in them, but unfortunately not recorded here with the instrument.

Octobass aka Contrabass is one octave lower than double bass. It would sound essentially Earth shaking, vibrating walls & windows of any normal house that contains a hifi system with large woofers & high power amplification. On headphones it would be eardrum busting if too loud, sub 20hz.

2 Likes

@AntiWoke I think the only one left in the world is at Zimmer’s house!

Classical music has always since my youth to be touted as the most demanding on equipment. I never really gave it much thought or listening to as i was born in 1979 and had much more important things to listen to. Fast forward a few years and i get that sentiment. Thrift shops and pawn shops are the best place to get almost any genre of music for next to nothing. Concerning classical music. Always look for a “TELARC” label. The company from what ive heard was built upon audio enthusiasts that were not very pleased with the quality of recordings of their era and set out toake their own. My HOLY GRAIL VINYL record to find in the wild is a peter Tchaikovsky 1812 overture with cannon blasts recorded with digital recording from…i believe the 1970s. It was so dynamic. Most turntables of the day couldnt play it. The tone arm would simply explode off the record. This is a 2000 something erich kunzel updated thats even more silly. It has warnings on the back of the cd stating that you may break your equipment or ears if not carefull

1 Like

I got very lucky and caught the DJ, Laura Downs, on a great roll. Great stuff almost the whole way home!

All of this wonderfulness with very little commercial interruption. It makes the drive almost doable!

1 Like

It isn’t traditional symphonic classical exactly. Its more like classical electronica music. All of it sounds like a Hans Zimmer movie score kind of thing. Then again, its made for movie previews apparently, & it seems multiple people are making it. I came upon it, Epic Score, via Z Reviews & so searched for it on Amazon Music. After playing an entire album of Epic Score, Vengeance ES033, which just happened to be the first one that came up, Amazon started playing a similar one from Really Slow Motion, Existentia. Both sound wonderful. The later is a bit more synthetic electronica though. Lots of distorted sounds. Interesting certainly.

Check out Vengeance by Epic Score on Amazon Music
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B014CVTU3U?trackAsin=B014CVTXMI&ref=dm_sh_1CoWdmliRxUNCl5oo2Dbp1MwG

Check out Existentia by Really Slow Motion & Instrumental Core on Amazon Music
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07JBM5R22?trackAsin=B07JDFHKG8&ref=dm_sh_P53TyI80xiJYKFjVNI7twsYQK

Check out Ascent by Erich Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra & Don Dorsey on Amazon Music
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B09S57M4HQ?trackAsin=B09S4X1NNQ&ref=dm_sh_27lBgWfXjpjyJVz95EISi2mko

1 Like

Been enjoying alternate versions of classics lately. Listened to 2 completely different versions of Clair de Lune and thoroughly enjoyed both

And then this, played this morning

Just goes to show that there is still great stuff being played on the radio!

1 Like

Thank God for public radio!!! J.S. Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D Minor BWV 565 // Amy Turk, Harp - YouTube
I like exploring alt. versions too. Try this one.

1 Like

Also…an excellent original version of the Bach. I think this is by Kasstner, tho I
use one avail on AMHD.

I am on a tear tonight! Been finding great music all night on Amazon HD. However, I found this gem on YouTube

Geez, this is good. She was truly special.

1 Like

@Raptor168 Indeed she was. Gone too soon. Barenboim is good too, both as
a conductor and as a pianist. I really like his sensitivity and expressiveness. Ck out his Debussy album.
PS love YT videos. Watched a live concert yesterday of the Frankfurt Symphony.
What a great venue…and Thousands of very attentive listeners enjoying both the concert and one another. Very special. We are so fortunate to have this level of technology for our music enjoyment!

1 Like

For those who want a bit of flavor and spice added to their Classical music I highly Recommend the Russian Composer Sviridov work, “The Snowstorm Puskin’s Garland.”

P.S If you want me to start a form post sharing a large portion of my classical music composer playlist on spotify, please let me know.

1 Like

Check out The Green Album by John Williams on Amazon Music
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B00138J8D8?ref=dm_sh_w3jMVB4RR33I4FdCjrqsYTjS5

Well, so what if its the same?

1 Like

Check out Hollywood’s Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 by Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops Orchestra on Amazon Music
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0B3PS2PQH?ref=dm_sh_UYdDHyEJsAOBCBGkb0eJGpwLh

Also Volume 1.

Seems everything Telarc released was great, especially if you like huge bass drum impact with musical flurishes & creshendos.

1 Like

Check out Copland: The Music of America by Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops Orchestra on Amazon Music
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B08QYZQ459?ref=dm_sh_kmOoTnDCb9YWmrkzmN1wypUsN

1 Like

Yup. Telarc’s claim to fame was the dynamic punch! I also enjoy the older recordings by Decca. Try some with Georg Solti and Chicago…such as Pictures at an Exhibition.

I got home early today and have been eager to listen to Mozart for some unknown reason! I rarely get to play classical on the speakers, so this is a real treat.

I’m starting at the beginning with Symphony 35. Wow. And the Berliner Philharmoniker with Karajan at the helm is just magnificent. Really good recording, too.

AMDH > Douk U2 Pro > Schiit Bifrost 2 > XDuoo TA-20 Pre > SMSL DA-9 > Triangle Borea BR02

2 Likes