All Things Classical

Congrats @Raptor168 Enjoy!

1 Like

Where did you purchase it from? I’d like to have a copy of that set too.

I ordered it through Amazon, but it was actually sold and came from here.

It took about 3 weeks to arrive. Not too bad. It arrived in pristine condition.

1 Like

Hello classical, brothers.

I’d like to broaden my horizons in terms of music, classical is something I’ve never gave a chance, but I know that I’ve caught my self enjoying the odd movie score here and there and I know there are times where classic and movie scores can sound very similar so I want to give proper classical a chance.

Can anyone recommend a few albums for me to try out? I would really appreciate it and love to contribute to this form of music. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I got you bro: Spotify

Legend. Thank you, brother :handshake:

1 Like

I’m enjoying this playlist of classical covers of these more modern tunes.

Always good to see someone stretch their listening horizons. I try to do the same. I can send a few links, too. I have access to YT Music, Spotify, and AMHD. Do you have a preference?

Thanks brother! I use Apple Music as a streaming service but I also have Spotify so you can send them there if you’d like - I really appreciate that - thank you!

Will do. I will also include a great video of my favorite, Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 2 with Yuja Wang, tho for sound quality I like the version with Valentina Lisitsa and London. Sometimes having a visual helps us to appreciate the amazing skills these musicians have developed.

1 Like

@domq422 some shorter things first, some from films.

Beethovens 5th Symhony is the standard, but I like this well recorded version
of his 3rd. Spotify
Olympic Fanfare
Spotify
And the YT video… Yuja Wang - Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2 in C minor Op.18 - YouTube
I would encourage you to ck composers from different time periods as well.
Vivaldi and Mozart are very different from Beethoven and Bartok, for example.
Enjoy the huge variety of tone colors, beauty and moods of this genre.
Have fun!

What an absolute legend.

Thank you!

I’ll be taking a listen to these over the next few days when I can sneak away from the wife and fam - thank you so much :pray:

1 Like

@domq422 You’re very welcome. Fun to share a few favorites!

Finally a day’s notice. Frankfurt Symphony live…Tomorrow Fri at noon CST.
Frankfurt Radio Symphony Live: Vassilis Christopoulos with Barry, Prokofjew, Horner & Bernstein - YouTube

Sorry… on Thursday…ie now.

I had a craving for some classical this evening. Started out with Beethoven’s 2nd from my newly acquired CD-set, which was great. First knee-jerk reaction is that I seem to have enjoyed the second slightly more than the first. And then things got interesting. I found this on Amazon HD, performed by my favorite orchestra.

I have never listened to Bruckner before. Strange that I am starting with the 9th, but this work intrigues me. It’s so different from what I have been listening to recently. I mean, vastly different! But I am enjoying the change. The recording is really good, too.

AMHD > Douk U2 Pro > Schiit Bifrost 2 > Singxer SA-1 > LSA HP-2

1 Like

Oh boy, a definite change from Beethoven!! That intro is fascinating, imo.

1 Like

LOL! For sure. There are lots of fascinating things happening in this work, especially the 4th movement, which apparently was largely unfinished as a result of his passing before he could finish it. So now I am wondering, if Bruckner didn’t complete the 4th movement, who did? As I understand it, there are a few different versions. I am trying to find out which one this is!

There is a lot going on here. I will have to take a second pass at this as I got tired and had to turn in. I look forward to it.

@Raptor168 Fun to dig for backstories! For a comparison you may want to ck this one with Honeck/Pittsburgh. It was originally recorded as an SACD and the
quality is very good, imo.
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07W6F25VM?ref=dm_sh_34ff-cf59-a3c5-9edb-53848
(At 3:00 after the intro climax, I especially like the clarity of the pizzicato strings.)
Ok, now you’ve got me listening to it again! :rofl:

2 Likes

https://music.amazon.com/albums/B000VAIR2C?trackAsin=B000VAHBRO&ref=dm_sh_1077-c9b1-a137-f07c-d7d24

Dvorak tonight 8th, my fav. Kertesz/London well-recorded and spirited performance.

I thought I would share one of my favorite classical works. I did a visual stage performance of this back in my 20s. We had a canoe on stage, rowing down the river through the Chech countryside while forests, cities, fairies, and rapids passed by on the way to Prague (all moved by a host of dancers)

Die Mouldou by Smetana (from Má Vlast)
Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Daniel Barenboim

https://music.amazon.com/albums/B01LYP4CER?trackAsin=B01M0Z4FSJ&ref=dm_sh_qQ0HNtkBLKxLHfQ1yFJY6HuBk

1 Like