All Things Classical

What a great memory of a cool thing to do! I have a former student, now a music professor and composer who has done original pieces coordinated with computerized visual programs (whole wall interactive video displays, etc.)
He’s just done one with music, dancers and screens combined. Artistic creativity is a wonderful thing!
PS Haven’t heard that particular recording so thanks, will ck it out.

HOLY CRAP! A G.O.A.T. for sure.
Review: Yuja Wang Sweeps Through a Rachmaninoff Marathon - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

And I have trouble remembering if I turned the coffee pot off!

1 Like

https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07R53KJ8M?trackAsin=B07R714ZR4&ref=dm_sh_ae84-75c7-2e34-da19-80c22

Tchaikovsky 5 tonight. Jurowski/London…this last mvt. is so good. One of the first symphonies I had a recording of when I was a child. Later got to play it (Timpani)
several times. I look back on those days as a real privilege!

3 Likes

Another rainy Saturday, another classical Saturday morning. For today, I am back in the box set. The moments I have been anticipating… Symphonies 4 and 5.

These CDs are magical on this old bedroom system. First time hearing no.4 and it’s incredible. Can’t wait to spin up no.5.

Local CD > Toshiba HD transport > SMSL M200 > Realistic 7-band EQ > Denon AVR-2808CI > Senn HD660s

3 Likes

John Williams at 90! Some real notables on that stage! I must admit that it’s not
only cool and momentus, but a bit of a tear jerker. Wonderful to see this brilliant
composer/orchestrator honored while he’s still with us.
John Williams Conducts “Imperial March” at 90 Years Old | National Symphony Orchestra - YouTube

Hope they recorded the whole concert professionally…maybe we’ll see it on
public television or offered as a dvd/cd like his concerts with Vienna and Berlin!

3 Likes

I look forward to seeing this.

1 Like

Ok… by now you all probably know my favorite work is the Rachmaninov Piano
Concerto #2. I have heard many versions and seen several videos, one of the best being with Yuja Wang outdoors in Germany. However, I found this
one by ARTE… it’s in HD and is really stunning. Khatia is one of the most sensitive, feeling performers I know of and it really shows here, particularly in the
slow movement. A lovely Mozart encore as well. Enjoy.
arte HD Rachmaninoff, Piano Concerto No 2 Gianandrea Noseda, Khatia Buniatishvili 2015 - YouTube

3 Likes

Wow. Great find, she is quite impressive. A funny thing happened in that I was listening along when all of a sudden, this passage plays 14 minutes and 30 seconds or so in, and suddenly I am listening to “(Can’t live if living is) without you”! One of those A-HA moments, I guess. I’ll start over when I have more time and listen all the way through.

1 Like

Upcoming live Youtube concert. Frankfurt Symphony…Shostakovich 1st. This Friday Feb. 24 at 1:55 pm CST. Sidescreen comments are interesting too.
This time is later than usual, I’ll update if they change it.

1 Like

A premiere. Leshnoff piano concerto
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B08LXMCNQD?trackAsin=B08LXYGZ23&ref=dm_sh_839e-a180-fd8f-0ba2-ba877

This, part of Stravinsky’s Firebird (live) is one I not only enjoy but use as a test
track for the timbre of orchestral instruments. Lots of short solos https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07JBLGQN9?trackAsin=B07JCLYPF5&ref=dm_sh_1fc1-6f62-e95e-3c94-8348e

1 Like

Having a problem with AMHD. Suddenly have a bunch of Karajan/Berlin albums
added to my list of albums. I did not do that. They are greyed out (no picture, only title) and do play, but I can’t seem to delete them!

Edit: finally got them deleted using android app. Must have been 30 or more.
Think they did an update that screwed up.? Note my playlists were ok.

Next day edit. Seems ok for now.

For the brass lovers. From a recent Frankfurt Symphony concert.

@Raptor168 :wink:

1 Like

This will be interesting to watch and hear. Wonder what “classic” albums may
come from this.
Gustavo Dudamel To Become NY Phil Music and Artistic Director | What’s New: Latest News and Stories About The New York Philharmonic

I know YT isn’t 24/192 but it’s gotten quite good, depending on the quality of the upload. This is a good one, imo.
Yuja with Vienna on tour. Ck at least the last movement if you’re short on time.
She still gets my vote as the best of our time.

1 Like

I really enjoy the Bach Cello suites by Pandolfo. Very relaxing.

2 Likes

Frankfurt Radio Symphony Live: Simone Lamsma & Jader Bignamini with Strauss, Bruch & Pejačević - YouTube
Just got this note. Today 1pm CST
I have a meeting wouldn’t you know.

Another rainy Saturday, another classical morning. Back to the CD box set!

This time, however, I’m on the desktop system today, on speakers! Very exciting. Beethoven jams on speakers. On queue for this morning, Symphony number 7 and possibly 8.

Local FLAC > Douk U2 Pro > Schiit Bifrost 2 > XDuoo TA-20 Pre > SMSL DA-9 > Triangle BR02 w/REL TZero Mkiii sub

2 Likes

Live this Fri. at 1pm CST.

Apple Music Classical will start streaming on March 28th - The Verge
Same format and language and (hopefully) great search function as Primephonic, especially helpful for those new to classical music.
Included in current Apple Music subscriptions is a plus for those who have it.

1 Like