All Things Classical

Listening to the ‘58 recordings of Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic doing Le Sacre and Pictures at an Exhibition.

Both excellent but I give the nod to Pictures on this SACD disc.

I’m really getting into it. Like a little world.

3 Likes

Mahler 7: Bernstein x NYPO on SACD.

Recorded: December 14 & 15, 1965

It simply does not get better than this.

5 Likes

IMG_0057

1 Like

RoonShareImage-638595692321067230

1 Like

I had a hankerin for some Mozart, so I brewed a pot of my favorite English Breakfast Blend, took out my Bernstein collection and had a listen on the world’s biggest headphone rig in the bedroom!

This may sound dumb, but there is just something about handling the media and operating the system that adds joy to the experience for me. This system kills it playing classical music, too.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind some chamber music recommendations. My most listened to genre is jazz. So I like that trio/quartet/quintet action. And some times large ensemble as well. But mostly the smaller group.

Knowing that I’m a jazz nut what should I listen to?

Thank you

Edit: the Beethoven: Triple Concerto in C Major should be a good start?

Best way to do it.

1 Like

As a refresher, this is my “World’s biggest headphone rig”!

I still love every one of these pieces, old as they may be. I’m still shocked at how well they work together. I’m running the EDXS on an Audiophileninja cable.

3 Likes

May I ask why your headphone rig is so large?

Edit: besides that Denon receiver being an absolute unit… what’s the signal path?

1 Like

You can try this. Available streaming etc too. :wink:

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I like that very much. I’ve forgotten how much I love the violin(Duke Ellington: Violin Suite is such a good album) and cello.

Thank you very much. This will get me started. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

LOL With the exception of the M200 DAC, this was a collection of “Stuff” that was in storage, sitting in isolation, presumed defective or just not worth the time to mess around with. I was rounding all this stuff up to recycle it, but as I looked at it, I couldn’t do it! I still had this weird connection to it, especially the Denon, and of all things, that Realistic EQ! That thing is like a family Heirloom.

So I rolled up my sleeves, went through and revived each piece and built a system out of it! All the interconnects are World’s best/Mogami and AudioQuest Optical cables. That top piece is an optical switch that was bought for this build.

Audio signal paths are as follows:

• Optical out of TV > Optical switch > Optical input M200 DAC > EQ > Denon AVR-2800ci
    OR
  • HD CD > Optical switch > Optical input M200 DAC > EQ > Denon AVR-2800ci
    OR
  • LG V40 > 96K LDAC stream over BT input M200 DAC > EQ > Denon AVR-2800ci

Transducers are either a 30+ year old set of Mitsubishi MS-10 speakers

or the superb headphone circuit of the Denon where I am running the HiFIMAN EDXS and an Audiophileninja cable. This was fun to do and the end result is a surprisingly great sounding system, repurposing things I was going to throw away.

3 Likes

That’s a good, versatile setup.

1 Like

Thank you, Sir. I feel like every time I fire it up I am playing with house money! Everything old is new again…

Check out my playlist on Amazon Music: Everything Alan Silvestri
https://music.amazon.com/user-playlists/f5ca80a1d7bb4d8c80e9c405e00ab622sune?ref=dm_sh_ZKI1ZckqIdhPl0aUYnBE8O4hH

It’s not everything but it’s a bunch of his scores.

1 Like

Beethoven if you want to get real snobby about it…

A WWII vintage performance of Eroica by the Vienna Philharmonic led by Wilhelm Furtwangler.

I was disappointed upon first hearing it. My gain was set low to avoid hearing the noise floor, but it sounded anemic.

Once I set the audio to concert levels it blossomed into the most riveting Beethoven performance I have ever heard.

Here’s a different master, one that you can stream:

2 Likes

:wink: Yes, he was amazing!!

1 Like

2 Likes

I tried to find this on AMHD but no luck. I was able to stream the link, but the stream lacked a little resolution going through YT Music, but was still totally good. The performance itself was sublime. There were nuanced differences from other performances I have heard that were noticeable but hard to describe. It has prompted me to do a “Battle of the Beethovens” if you will, and compare with other performances of the 3rd. I think this will be interesting.

2 Likes

@Raptor168 I’ve done a bit of that too, lol. Have fun.

2 Likes