Allo Revolution DAC

That is taking the idea of DIY to a freaking whole new level, but I get it. I wouldn’t do it and I work with PCB’s. Also, sorry for the bad English.

Now I don’t know if I go with JDS Element or the Allo with the ZEN Can. Or maybe something else good that got out until I actually decide to pull the trigger in something. In any case, thanks for the insights.

Hmmm with the zen can I would actually say allo since you could adjust how it colors the zen can to your liking. I think with ifi amps, I typically like a sharper dac anyways since their amps are smooth enough. But I have only briefly heard a zen can so I can’t say too much so mainly going off experience with other ifi amps

I guess this is accurate, considering the amp is based in the Pro iCAN (according to them) and is a Class A topology. The amp is probably smooth and a touch warm, so a more sharp and sterile DAC make sense. But again, considering the Allo can be like that and be more smooth if you play with it is very tempting.

Yeah for sure, I wish you could make it so there were quick recall settings, that would be nice lol

Do you think that DAC would be a noticeable upgrade to the SU-8?

I personally think so, but I don’t know if it would be worthwhile going with it if you already have the su8 depending on the setup. IMO it is a jump and a somewhat noticeable one, not something I would call marginal, BUT, I think depending on the setup it might be worth to go higher and get more performance imo and stick with the su8 for the time being. For your setup that’s personally what I would suggest. I do think this is something that does outperform the su8 and can be a change in signature if you want it to (or you could keep it similar), but if you have some pretty higher end amps already (as in your case the v220 and mad amp are def up there lol), I think you might find it more worthwhile to take a larger step forward than the allo. But to answer your question yeah I do think it is noticeably something I would prefer over the su8

2 Likes

Thanks! :+1:

I guess quick update, so I ended up buying another one of these things lol, this time with the thesycon firmware because I actually started getting into streamers recently (gave the xmos version to a friend). I was also curious to see if the different driver models have any sonic difference (spoiler, not really lol). Also ordered their usbridge signature player with moode as a stack with the allo dac. And I gotta say it’s pretty sweet for a streaming setup, I can power both with the shanti, and it sounds pretty damn great and it’s pretty easy to use overall, if I needed something networked this would prob be my go to streamer for the price (and there aren’t many fully assembled/non diy streamers at this price lol). Also for shits and giggles I decided to hook the allo up to my living room setup (which I rarely ever do for any dac besides the kassandra, like seriously I haven’t tried most of my other dacs in my living room) but decided to use my main streamer to feed the rev dac (an auralic aries g2.1 with a leo gx.1 clock) and man was that really good lol, that just elevated that little dac way more than I was expecting vs going from a nearby pc. The usbridge still sounded good but nowhere near as good as the auralic. Something I did notice was that I think I preferred sync mode when on the auralic, but async on the pc and the usbridge, which is interesting.

4 Likes

Sounds pretty sweet. Reasonably priced too. Where is it going to live? I’m guessing not the main setup. Streamers are pretty handy, I still use my node 2i quite a bit.

Hold the phone Mon, this is interesting, so would this be a solutio To say keep it in the rack, split to different amps and use my iPad wirelessly? Like in bed, headphones plugged in to the amp, Ipad pointing to the dac over WiFi? Please say yes

It really is, to go all out would be like 700 for shanti + streamer + dac, honestly very capable for a streaming setup

Good question lol, not sure yet

So I recently put a dcs network bridge into my main desk setup and was really surprised at how much it could improve some of the dacs I had, so I was like fuck it and went higher on the living room setup, and honestly it was almost like getting a new dac lol

1 Like

Yeah it could be if you configure it correctly, you would just get the usbridge signature player and can pretty much use any linux driverless dac you would want with it (so no xmos unfortunately), then split off to your amps.

1 Like

I’m all Mac, I’ll have to research this more, I simply want to use an iPad wirelessly, point to it like an endpoint and have it wired to amps, god I hope this can work

Yeah a streamer seems like what you are after then. It would depend on how you network it though, I have my music in a network server that I pull from, so idk how you would plan to push your lib to the device. I think I would go with a moode install if you go with the usbridge since I’m pretty sure that would have the features you would want

1 Like

Mine would be all steaming, I’m going for super simple

1 Like

So like where would your music be on? Would you be trying to push files from your ipad, or use your ipad to control the player and pull files from a nas or something?

1 Like

I think he means Spotify or Amazon hd or the like

1 Like

Yes let’s say my iPad as the controller and Amazon HD

Kind of like a Roon endpoint or Spotify connect would be to a google chrome cast

Ahhhhh ok then in that case you would have to look at the pi software and what is compatible. You can get the usbridge sig with moode, max2play, volumio, and dietpi, pretty sure you can preload your own stuff as well. The thing is I don’t think any of those support native amazon hd, so you would have to use like airplay or something, but nothing native. The only streamer I can think of that supports amazon hd natively is the bluesound node 2i

1 Like