Amazon Music HD anyone?

On the ball, would have been adding this ages ago lol. But late improvement is better than no improvement.

1 Like

Yeah but i wonder if its even required. their regular Ultra HD sounds pretty good. even without ASIO

1 Like

as an FYI the first three Depeche Mode albums are on Tidal. MQA and 16/44

1 Like

Did the update just happen? I donā€™t see the option yet. Nor has my Amazon app updated within the last 24 hours.

I allowed to send failure protocols to be send and few seconds later, I got the notification in the windows 10 app for a new version

That feature I noticed 2-3 weeks ago when it just popped up. Itā€™s pretty awesome.

1 Like

Thats nice but Tidal Masters uses a lossly compression format. and it requires a DAC with MQA to hear the ā€œMastersā€ sound quality. Amazon has DMā€™s first 3 in ā€œUltra HDā€ also and doesnt require anything and is not lossy. Thats what bugs me about Tidal

Their Subscription with HD is 13$ a month. Not sure what their first timers deal is. I think if you got Amazon prime you get a deal. not sure.

That higher sound quality is something I have a long playlist and i just throw various artists and tracks on it and when a Ultra HD track comes on i can really hear the increased sound quality. and it sounds so good. And i dont think i have golden ears or anything.

1 Like

Can confirm you get a deal with Amazon Prime HD IF youā€™re a Prime member already.

2 Likes

BTW i tried installing the Amazon music app and i dont see AISO active. or a menu item to activate it. I guess its still not here yet

On the app in windows it looks like a speaker in the bottom right corner. I canā€™t remember specifics. I will check when I boot into windows next.

Tidal Uses a lossy compression format. I hear this a lot and I think itā€™s a throw away comment people make because theyā€™ve read it a million times before. I agree with the statement at a technical level but I challenge anyone to prove they can tell the different between an MQA master properly unfolded and a DSD file of the same quality. I certainly canā€™t. What I belive people hear is more to do with what their mind it telling them.

Not that there arenā€™t people that can, not that there arenā€™t people that have equipment good enough to make that different obvious. What you hear from listening to an HD master on Amazon and the 16/44 FLAC equivalent (on legacy recordings) is more often than not the mastering. Hell, compare Fleetwood Macā€™s Tusk and it isnā€™t even the same song the mastering has changed it so much and yea itā€™s much better IMO but itā€™s no longer the same song.

On the cost front, I ā€œsponsorā€ my sonā€™s Tidal account. Heā€™s a college student so itā€™s $10 bucks a month. After heā€™s done with school Iā€™ll probably give Amazon HD a try since I already have Prime, but at this point, the less of my money I give to Jeff Bezos, the better IMO.

Lastly as of this time thereā€™s no Roon integration to Amazon HD, for me now thatā€™s a non starter.

1 Like

I know this argument. but ive heard a lot of high quality tracks and by now im sure its not just mastering

For me the cost is way to high. We pay 14.99 a month for spotify premium family plan which is 320 KBPS. You can also download music through your wifi connection so it does not cost you data. We use Google FI so it saves us the 14.99 a month just in data costs. Plus i dont notice a difference between flac and 320 especially on my phone.

Did you try listening to Fleetwood Macā€™s Tusk?

I would, but in my estimation that would be a mistake =P

I have heard Simple Minds New Gold Dream and Sparkle in the Rain. I have the remastered Wavs from CDā€™s. And ive heard the Ultra on Amazon and the Ultraā€™s are better.

Iā€™ll admit, for my tastes and what I search for Amazon HD fits the bill. However what sucks that I do think the other services have better is the ability to use Roon or some third party service. The lack of Linux support for Amazonā€™s HD makes qobuz and Tidal seem more appealing.

Iā€™m just glad the services are easy enough to cancel and they can all be tested. If you find what the right tool is for the job, stick with it. There is enough variation with the services I canā€™t give a hard recommend for what is best for anyone.

It looks like itā€™s a ā€œpreviewā€ on a limited roll out, mine doesnā€™t have it yet either, and I pulled the latest version off the website to validate.
Itā€™s a relatively common practice for web companies, roll out in stages, so if there is a major issue you donā€™t impact all you users at the same time.
But there are enough screen shots floating around that itā€™s certainly real. So the rest of us will probably see it soon.

2 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks.

Spotify users are not the target audience. This is the alternative for Tidal / Qobuz/ Deeper. Spotify has the best interface by a long shot. My wife still has Spotify because she doesnā€™t like the UI on Amazon and canā€™t tell the difference. But, $20 a Family Plan is a killer deal. Until Spotify or Amazon catch up to each other, Iā€™ll be stuck with both.

1 Like

Confirmed. $13 / Month

1 Like