Amazon Music HD anyone?

Amazon’s has been really pushing out their changes across the company with their feature testing… I know, I had an interview at Spotify a few years ago, work in devops now, and February Amazon sent someone to talk about how they do experience testing and provided a sample workshop on how it’s done. You will start seeing everyone essentially doing testing on production with users for limited feedback.

Now, since I kicked open my own Pandora’s box… Time for a tiny bit of tech. The actual streaming service used by most companies is all on AWS anyway with tools built and provided by AWS. Literally the only thing different is the catalog of music but I’m sure even the music can be shared for a start up if they wish. Don’t believe me? It’s been going on with our movie streaming services. Literally the only main difference I see with the services is how the client side is being managed and how each respective service manages their catalog. How it comes from their servers to the client… It’s probably AWS and the exact same code.

Spotify is just merger of iTunes with social networking. The service is more about marketing to others you listen to music. Fortunately some people have playlists I enjoy to reference, but for most I have seen is pretty much a rehash of last.fm.

I am starting to finally assemble a decent FLAC collection, but I also use spotify premium with the high quality setting and it is good enough for me. Especially considering that it’s an upgrade in quality over most of my older mp3 collection that predates me getting into this hobby.

3 Likes

I have 40 GB of pre-proper hobby introduction music that is on an old system. The quality is unbearable with my new dac. I’m literally at square one and looking to see how I’ll build up a server. I haven’t found a kubernetes project to host an API to link to a music storage system yet…

1 Like

Where are you getting your FLAC files? I only really know of Bandcamp.

There’s also HDtracks and 7digital.

Buying on HDtracks.com

1 Like

And you can get used CDs on ebay for less that 5 bucks including shipping. Hella cheaper if you find something in a donation thrift shop.

3 Likes

It’s kinda crazy how cheap you can get CDs now. I guess people don’t want the clutter. You can get a whole stack of them for the price one album used to cost in the mid-2000s.

3 Likes

Today years old when I saw this :man_facepalming:t3:

Hey guys put together a quick video for a new series I launched on my YouTube Favorite Content Fridays, first one is on AmazonMusicHD and some new features they have added and some stuff they are working on! I still use Qobuz and love them!!! AmazonMusicHD is fun too, I hope you enjoy it!

1 Like

Doing some testing tonight with Tidal vs Spotify vs Amazon Music HD, interesting, gonna vs the .wavs tomorrow

2 Likes

For an ultra portable/mobile rig this has been great, the Monolith can drive both 770 (80ohm) and the 600’s (300ohm) and goes up to full 24/192 in Amazon Music HD… I’m now just listening to music again instead of fiddling, highly recommended

1 Like

Anyone guesstimate what the percentage of Ultra HD albums as compared to regular FLAC on Amazon?

Have you ever looked at the song playing and said sounded like garbage and found out it was ultra HD? Or sounded really good and found out it wasn’t even HD?

Just curious.

All the time. And songs that sound fantastic at 320. Good recording and mastering are the first step to audiophileness.

2 Likes

This Sepultura album came out in 96’ and it’s full 24/192, but even some recent stuff is only 16/44 so not quite sure how the studios are releasing this, they do have Ultra HD playlists in a bunch of genres though

Yes I second this, can depend on the mixing and mastering, Nirvana Unplugged sounds absolutely warbly, I can’t describe it

1 Like

Finally took the plunge and took the Amazon HD 30 day free trial.

I’ve been a pretty avid Tidal user because I enjoy having the Roon integration and I like being able to at a whim via Roon explore artists etc. That being said it is the single biggest issue for me with Amazon, no integration for the Roon platform but that can change at any minute I’m sure. Nothing keeping it from happening other than contractual agreements and who squeezes who for the extra bit of digital cash.

From a technical standpoint, I am comparing apples to apples, both the Tidal PC client and the Amazon client. (both Windows 10 64 bit). This is actually a mixed bag because the search functionality on Amazon is more robust. Tidal is pretty shitty in that regards and you have to learn to make very granular searches to get some files.

The Amazon client however is abysmal. The exclusive mode sucks balls, it doesn’t play nice AT ALL with other open players and it doesn’t like to give up it’s exclusive mode even after you’ve shut the program down. Only on the Amazon client have I experienced this… and this is bad. After closing out the program the client remains ghosted in the system tray and you have to move your cursor over it to make it go away. It’s a workaround but it’s a PITA when you’re bouncing around with clients players etc.

On the HD availability from it clearly surpasses the amount of hi-resolution content. Not by much but I’d say appreciably, if Tidal is 10% MQA content, then Amazon is 15% ULTRAHD content. So a clear win for Amazon there however… befuddingly so, I’ve not once found a a song on Tidal that wasn’t Hi-Fi, Tidal’s equivalent to Amazon HD. On Amazon I’ve searched and encountered at least three times in the week I’ve had it that they didn’t have HD content for it, only MP3 which is suprising to say the least.

One very nice feature of Amazon HD is that it allows you to get HD files of songs that you’ve purchased through Amazon over the years. A nice touch and Kudos to them for that.

Lastly I know there’s been discussion of file quality; there are a lot of moving parts so that’s why I’m limiting my comparison to apples to apples. When I compare the Windows clients and I make sure to compare the same album, same song, same dates etc, there is no discernable difference for me on quality. I didn’t compare UltraHD content to Tidal MQA content because I don’t have an MQA decoding DAC, so it wouldn’t be a fair comparison using the half fold you get with the Tidal client to a full native Hi-Res Amazon equivalent.

I’d rather NOT have MQA, but I felt it pointless to make a comparison here given the technical limitations.

The other issue I have with Amazon HD is they have a nasty habit of labeling an album ULTRAHD when the reality is that only one or two tracks on the album are Hi-Res. Not a practice on Tidal, if an album is marked as MQA, it’s MQA. It’s misrepresenting their content to end users IMO.

What’s the conclusion? I’ll probably pull the plug on Amazon before the free trial runs out but at this point, given the lack of Roon integration and the niggling issues with the PC client and the fact that it’s a couple dollars more than the Tidal student discount of $9.99 a month I’m keeping the Tidal running. But for a piece of software that has about a half year of run time on it it’s not bad and a decent deal if you’re a Prime member already and don’t have a kid in college you can leverage for a student discount. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wonderful write up!